Aw Heck, it never ends...

Author Topic: Aw Heck, it never ends...  (Read 4266 times)

Offline challenger72rt

• My l'il girl w' Dodge hat
Aw Heck, it never ends...
« on: February 16, 2005 - 02:34:33 PM »
While researching for new rear tires, to swap from 14's to 15's, I was told by a guy who helped build the car that he thinks the rear-end in my Chally was from a Dart...since the Dart rear axle was shorter than the Challenger.

OK, so if the axle is shorter, that works well since the car was tubbed, and the springs relocated inwards, but the axle was never cut, and the modification/swap offers more clearance room for the quarter wheel well.

BUT, the Dart had a SMALL bolt pattern, and the Chally was a Big Bolt...right???

So when I order new rims, I gotta get small bolt pattern rims for the back, and big bolt pattern rims for the front...what a pain!

so...first of all, how do I verify if the bolt pattern is small or big?  Also, I did a web search, but could not find out the length of the rear-end of the Dart compared to the Chally.

Can anybody offer any insights/info??
"Once upon a time I had a really bad Monday"

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: Aw Heck, it never ends...
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2005 - 02:53:33 PM »
That's a curious swap. :grinno: The bolt pattern varies. There were some Challengers with the small one. 6-bangers and some 318's. The Dart had small bolt patterns, unless maybe the late 60's G/T had the bigger  :dontknow: Are you saying you don't know how to tell the difference in bolt patterns? If you look at the 5 holes, measure between the center of the one in the 12 o'clock position, to the center of the hole in the 5 or 7 o'clock position.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2005 - 04:15:35 PM »
I dont ever recall seeing an e-body with a 4 inch bolt circle wheel. The 4 inch bolt circle (small bolt pattern) was for a body cars. It was used on a bodies up to 1972. Once mandatory front discs came out in the 73 model year, the SBP wheels went away.

Offline OUTLAW

• MASTER OF ALL THINGS MOPAR
  • I didn't say you can't RACE--I said you can't WIN
    • MOPAR-MADNESS  WEB/FORUM
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2005 - 05:33:08 PM »
go here and look under differential ...it has all the info you need

http://sybertek.us/sybertek/

Offline challenger72rt

• My l'il girl w' Dodge hat
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2005 - 09:17:34 PM »
well, I just came in from the garage, and the bolt pattern from the front and the rear are the same.  4.5" from the outer edge of the 12:00 position bolt, to the centre of the 5:00 position bolt.

So am I to understand that the small bolt pattern is 4", and the bog-bolt is 4.5"?? 

If so, it would seem that I have nothing to be concerned about. (fingers crossed)
"Once upon a time I had a really bad Monday"

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005 - 09:32:40 PM »
Easy one

First, to properly measure the bolt pattern just start the measuring tape on the outside of one
wheel stud to the middle of the opposite one :thumbs:  (a little late)

To Identify the rear axle just measure the space between the spring seats center to center.

43 inches for A-body
44 inches for B-body 1962 to 1970.............I bet yours is one of these ;)
46 inches for E-body
47.3 inchs for B-body 1971 to 1974
« Last Edit: February 16, 2005 - 09:46:36 PM by 360cuda »

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2005 - 09:44:33 PM »
Hey OUTLAW

Nice website ..Looks like you've been busy ;)

Offline OUTLAW

• MASTER OF ALL THINGS MOPAR
  • I didn't say you can't RACE--I said you can't WIN
    • MOPAR-MADNESS  WEB/FORUM
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2005 - 12:51:56 AM »
Ya .. real busy ..takes a long time to collect all this then organize it then upload ...but when its done it will have been worth it ...everything you need to know in one place ...lol

and thanks for noticing

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2005 - 08:14:12 AM »
That's a curious swap. :grinno: The bolt pattern varies. There were some Challengers with the small one. 6-bangers and some 318's.

Mike

All the E-bodies came with the large bolt pattern, the Challenger never came with the small bolt pattern, no matter what engine it had. The easiest way to measure the bolt diameter is to measure from the outside edge of one wheel stud to the center of one of the wheel studs across from it on a five lug hub.
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline 74chall

• Mopar or No Car
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2005 - 08:28:15 AM »
I dont ever recall seeing an e-body with a 4 inch bolt circle wheel. The 4 inch bolt circle (small bolt pattern) was for a body cars. It was used on a bodies up to 1972. Once mandatory front discs came out in the 73 model year, the SBP wheels went away.

I had a 73 Dart swinger /6 3 speed manual.  That had manual drums up front. Didnt know disc was mandatory 73+  :dontknow:
Could you get drum as an option???

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2005 - 10:23:04 AM »
take a front wheel off & slide it onto the rear , if it fits the bolt pattern is the same
even if it has the A body diff the axles could have been redrilled or replaced with large  bolt pattern axles

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline AARManiac

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2005 - 03:54:50 PM »
I had a 1976 Dart Lite that had small bolt pattern wheels.  The car was at the body shop and I had a set of large bolt rallye wheels ready for it. Never even thought about it.
F.A.S.T. legal AAR CUDA   11.61 @ 118mph

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2005 - 06:46:32 PM »
I know that 73 was the start of mandatory front disc brakes, but I'm not sure if it was 73 model year, or maybe Jan 1, 1973 was the start date, so then 73 model year cars built B4 jan 1 could still have drum brakes. I never saw a post 72 car with SBP wheels, maybe somebody swapped spindles and axles? But with Ma Mopar, who knows?

:dontknow:

Offline DodgeFreak

• Cars and trucks are my friends..
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2005 - 07:05:10 PM »
Couldn't of been 73 becasue my 74 Duster has Drums and Small bolt all around and i know they are factory because my uncle has owned it for most of its life....wish it was disc and bigbolt..
74 Plymouth Duster- restoring

77 Dodge D150 shortbox- as long as i don't change my mind will be a step side dually diesel or a 383 powered truck

04 durango 4.7

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2005 - 10:57:48 PM »
Here is the tech article out of the Mopar Chassis book

Basicly it sez 1973 up Disc brake equipped got the 8 1/4 rearend and the 4.5 on 5 pattern

I guess that means drum brake cars stayed 5 on 4 with the 7 1/4 rearend :ack: