Author Topic: 73 challenger  (Read 862 times)

Offline Majorkurnig

73 challenger
« on: July 20, 2012 - 10:04:57 PM »
Hello all, I am new to the classic restoration process. I have a 73 dodge challenger and I have no experience in any area of this process but I want to learn and do as much by myself as I can. Couple of first things does anyone know where I can get an original parts list for my car that tells me the names and pics of each part on the car. Second I want to know the process from start to finish? Has anyone ever restored their car with limited space and limited cash, how do you go about it, I know bit by bit, but what first, engine and drive train? Body? Interior? Right now my challenger is registered and drives but there is a ton of issues with the body, and interior, engine runs and drives but I want to do more with it.

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
Re: 73 challenger
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012 - 10:27:26 PM »
You can get a mopar parts manual for 1973 off ebay in either a physical book form or on CD.  THat will list the parts and exploded views of a lot of them.  It covers all the models made in 1973.

You can also get a set of factory service manuals (FSM) which provides additional diagrams and service instructions.

Offline spamtank

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012 - 11:40:11 PM »
Hello all, I am new to the classic restoration process.

Welcome.   :2thumbs:  We all have to start somewhere.  Speaking of somewhere, where are you located?  There might be a member or two near by happy for an opportunity to help another E-body owner.

I'm located in southern New Hampshire, and I have a 70 challenger SE.

Oh, and we are going to need to see some photos of your car too.  We like looking at photos and commenting on them around here  :bigsmile:

:useless:

Rick
Rick, Manchester, NH
1970 SE 383 2V AT Challenger
1977 M882/W200 Power Wagon
2013 RT Plus 6M

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012 - 12:56:08 AM »
Welcome...you'll learn alot here.  Don't be afraid to ask questions.  We all have to start out somewhere.

The very FIRST thing you need to do is decide what your ultimate goal is for this car.  Too many people(me included) start tearing the car apart without a clear goal in mind.  Do you want to do a complete nut and bolt redo or are you just wanting a nice driver.  Figuring that out NOW will guide you along the process. 

You always here stories of someone just wanting to fix a few things there and there.  Once those things are done, other parts of the car don't look very good anymore in comparison.  You end up with a car completely torn apart for years...some people never get them back together.  Decide on a plan and stick to it as much as possible.

If the car is safe to be on the road(no major body rot that would make it unsafe) you could start buy redoing the suspension and brakes.  Follow that with a drivetrain rebuild or upgrade.  The main thing that stalls projects is the bodywork.  You could replace a few panels at a time during the winter months and still have a car to drive in the summer.  Or you can take it all down to the bare shell and start over.  It just depends on the goal you set for yourself before you loosen the first bolt.

Whatever you decide, the best piece of advice I can give is to stay organised.  You can never take too many pictures of how the car was put together.  Buy a lot of plastic baggies and/or bolt bins.  Make sure every fastener is marked.  Take the car apart in assemblies.  Keep those assemblies together as a unit until you are ready to work on it.  For example, keep the front suspension, engine/trans bolted to the K-member until you are ready to rebuild them.  You will be less likey to misplace parts and forget how it goes back together.

Offline NCtrueconservative

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012 - 01:46:59 AM »

Welcome...you'll learn alot here.  Don't be afraid to ask questions.  We all have to start out somewhere.

The very FIRST thing you need to do is decide what your ultimate goal is for this car.  Too many people(me included) start tearing the car apart without a clear goal in mind.  Do you want to do a complete nut and bolt redo or are you just wanting a nice driver.  Figuring that out NOW will guide you along the process. 

You always here stories of someone just wanting to fix a few things there and there.  Once those things are done, other parts of the car don't look very good anymore in comparison.  You end up with a car completely torn apart for years...some people never get them back together.  Decide on a plan and stick to it as much as possible.

If the car is safe to be on the road(no major body rot that would make it unsafe) you could start buy redoing the suspension and brakes.  Follow that with a drivetrain rebuild or upgrade.  The main thing that stalls projects is the bodywork.  You could replace a few panels at a time during the winter months and still have a car to drive in the summer.  Or you can take it all down to the bare shell and start over.  It just depends on the goal you set for yourself before you loosen the first bolt.

Whatever you decide, the best piece of advice I can give is to stay organised.  You can never take too many pictures of how the car was put together.  Buy a lot of plastic baggies and/or bolt bins.  Make sure every fastener is marked.  Take the car apart in assemblies.  Keep those assemblies together as a unit until you are ready to work on it.  For example, keep the front suspension, engine/trans bolted to the K-member until you are ready to rebuild them.  You will be less likey to misplace parts and forget how it goes back together.

:iagree: That about says it all.  If I had mine to do over again, I'd get it running (motor, tranny, brakes, suspension) and that way you could drive it and feel the enjoyment.  After you drive it, you'll get the itch to make it start looking nice, and thats when the body work, paint and interior comes in.  Take your time, they're NEVER DONE!!!  Just enjoy it whatever stage of the build your on, because there are people out there that would die just to have one setting in their garage.  And don't worry, this is THE place for help. I've learned soooo much from this website, and it is the nicest forum I've ever been on.  Enjoy!  :cheers:
1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye (pictured), 340, Slap Stick

1998 Dodge Ram, 5.2, Black, tinted windows, dual exhaust, blackout headlights, tailights

Offline Majorkurnig

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012 - 10:32:26 AM »
Thanks for the tip on eBay, I found it and will purchase it, I think that will help immensely. As far as pics go I will definitely update with pics here soon. I have a ton. Maybe y'all can help me figure out how to repair or replace certain areas of the body that are rusted. Mostly the trunk and a really bad spot or two in the engine bay where the old hood hinges used to be and around the break booster.
My plan for restoration is to have a rust free car, however to go about that is the question. Do I tear it down and send it off to be sand blasted, or do I do it section at a time like have the engine and trans rebuilt and while doing so have the body shop attend to the rusted spots in the bay?
I am sure pics will better help y'all see what I mean, I appreciate the warm welcome and look forward to all your input on the subjects to come.
As far as help is concerned I live currently in those island but will be moving to mass or at least much closer to it so if I need any help and anyone is in the area I will not begrudge the help. Thank you all