Author Topic: flat cam lobes  (Read 2112 times)

Offline mopar jack

flat cam lobes
« on: July 22, 2012 - 01:56:43 AM »
Well I finally broke my old reliable 440. Flattened the cam for #6 cylinder after many years of bracket racing and street driving. Not ready for a new motor yet so I wonder if I can just install a new cam. What can I do about the metal that is probably in the crankcase?

Offline jvike

• Pro-Touring Cuda
flat cam lobes
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012 - 06:39:07 AM »
At least change the oilpump also. But I would tear it apart and clean the whole motor and change the bearings while its apart. Espessialy cam bearings...
Member of The Rapid Transit System

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: flat cam lobes
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012 - 08:58:49 AM »
 :iagree:
 Check the cam brgs & change the oil pump for sure .
 This is why I keep recommending Z-Alt or Brad Penn oil , even after the engine is broken in the spring loads can be high enough for the cam to fail . All new oils with a SM or SN rating do not protect the cam & do not have the needed additives . Rotella is not adequate now either .

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline mopar jack

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012 - 11:10:59 AM »
I probably should pull the motor and have it totally rebuilt but I hate to spend a lot of money on a motor today that only cost me $500 sixteen years ago. I pulled this motor out of a running 1970 chrysler with 85k miles on it. Put a 484 cam and springs in it and drag raced it for 12 years plus drove it on the street with a 4000 stall converter. I'll probably have to spend 6 or 7k to replace it and I don't know where to buy a quality replacement. Any recomendations for a crate motor or a shop in the S.F bay area would be appreciated. Thanks, Jack

Offline high perf mopar

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012 - 11:44:33 AM »
mopar engines west..

http://moparengineswest.com/
1971 barracuda
440-6 shaker
chrysler 3x2 competiton carbs mech,what chrysler should have done.
b-5 blue
"you got yourself some motor there boy!" 1973,,white lightning.MGM studios burt reynolds

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012 - 02:28:56 PM »
just freshen what you have no need to build a new engine .

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline mopar jack

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012 - 03:15:40 PM »
How do you pull oil pan with motor in car?

Offline dodge freak 2

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012 - 03:58:52 PM »
You lift the engine up a few inches and yank it out.

Been there, done it but now I would just pull the engine and do the work on a engine stand. Rental shops have what you need--I know, not much cheaper then buying it but then were are you going to store a hoist and stand, I just rent and forget. Beside whats another $75 in this hobby, lol

Offline 73restomod

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012 - 04:26:17 PM »
I had to do a cam swap after wiped a lobe in my 72, back in 2000. I yanked the motor slapped it in a stand tore it down completely.  My brand new melling pump definitely bought the farm, there were some scratches on the Main & Rod bearings, I lucked out on the crank.  The rest was fine. As a precaution I pulled a galley plug and ran a pipe cleaner down it, needless to say it wasn't pretty. I flushed the block with an air powered cleaning wand. I got it rebuilt and never had any further issues.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Offline mopar jack

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012 - 04:59:30 PM »
Finally got the cam out and #4 cam bearing is bad. Found some metal from the lifter in the valley so now I'm thinking pull the motor. Can the cam bearings be pulled without going through the back of the block?

Offline 73restomod

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012 - 05:52:15 PM »
If you have to pull them all then yes, it will have to come out the back (#5 is the clincher).  If you only need to replace #1thru #4 and the #5 specs out ok then no.
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012 - 05:55:21 PM by 73restomod »

Offline mopar jack

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012 - 06:51:43 PM »
number 5 bearing missing some babbit so motors gettin pulled. Going to send it to a machinest I used years ago and have him go through it. Will take a couple of weeks and I'm going to miss a couple of cruises but hopefully it will last untill my kids inherit it

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012 - 07:02:46 PM »
I've been using Rotella for years. Maybe I need to rethink my lubrication products.

Matt B.
Matt