Author Topic: I'm new, with a question  (Read 3253 times)

Offline superdavejr

I'm new, with a question
« on: July 25, 2012 - 09:09:39 AM »
Hello, i'm new to the site not too new to the E-body though. i have been trying to live my dream of actually owning a cuda. i found one near by my house but not sure about the price. the add is here:
http://www.carsonline-ads.com/colsite/col?use=UC3_ViewPosting&cmd=showPosting&postingID=57106
i would like to get a few comment before i take a drive to look at it. thanks.

Offline 67vertman

• Sr. Resident
  • Member since 9-23-2005
Re: I'm new, with a question
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012 - 10:51:12 AM »
Welcome!  :wave:

From the pictures posted it looks like a nice car for the price.   But, pictures can hide a lot.  Ask the seller to send you more photos of the car, such as the underneath, trunk, close ups of the quarter panels and such.  Also ask him to send you a short clip (movie) of the car with the motor running.
Since it is a grand coupe, it came with a 383 two barrel like the seller stated.  But the motor has been changed out so it is a non-numbers matching car. 
How close is it to what you want in a car, such as color, motor, trans? 

Ron - Born and raised in Southern California

I got the 1970 Cuda, but still need the hot blonde to ride shotgun!

First car -1969 Road Runner 383 4sp

Current ride - 1970 Barracuda 440-6 4 sp Dana 60  (4:10)

Offline superdavejr

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012 - 11:15:46 AM »
i am going to call and set a time to look at it in person, it's only about 25 miles away. i was just curious if the price sounded appropriate for what it is, assuming everything is what the ad states.

Offline MetalMilitiaSRT

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012 - 12:57:07 PM »
The price seems legit to me. But don't take our word for it. Make sure all the claims the seller makes are true. If he says everything works, make him prove it.
Other than than that, if you like red go for it!
73 Challenger
05 Crossfire SRT-6
06 Brutale 910s
09 V-Star
83 Civic (commuter...42mpg!)

Offline inot2old

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012 - 05:56:05 PM »
Looks like a good  deal to me.  If you get it you should check out the Tidewater Mopar Club.
'71 Cuda 

'70 Charger project
'05 Crossfire Roadster

Offline superdavejr

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012 - 10:23:47 PM »
Looks like a good  deal to me.  If you get it you should check out the Tidewater Mopar Club.
what are the benefits of joining? I read the site but it doesn't say enough to make me join.

I finally got a hold of the owner and i am going to inspect it this Sunday ! I also talked my wife into the purchase!

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012 - 10:41:34 PM »
I finally got a hold of the owner and i am going to inspect it this Sunday ! I also talked my wife into the purchase!

Good Luck!
Hope it is what you were expecting.

Wait till all the boxes start showing up in the mail all the time.
She might change her tune. These cars cost to get them back right.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline challengermaniac

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012 - 10:57:36 PM »
what are the benefits of joining? I read the site but it doesn't say enough to make me join.

Car looks good with the noted confirmation of condition, condition, condition.  What's even better is getting the wife's buy in------ which is where you really want to show your appreciation!
Charlie
70 Challenger 340/4 Purple
70 Challenger T/A Red
Edmonds, WA

Offline LAA66

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012 - 11:15:27 PM »
 Nice looking car and has 440 power. Appears to need some cosmetic work, check it over thoroughly and offer as appropriate. Maybe you'll have some $ left over for those boxes in the mail.

Offline TinCuda

• 'Cuda
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012 - 09:34:30 AM »
 :popcorn:

I like it.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012 - 09:47:38 AM by TinCuda »
(O O [             SRT ] O O)
(O O {]{]{]||[}[}[} O O)
{||O||}

2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
1971 Plymouth 'Cuda 440-6
2008 Dodge Charger R/T Hemi
2015 Chrysler 200c AWD 3.6L
2000 Yamaha V-Max
Doing my part to leave a big carbon footprint!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Shot at 2012-09-05

Offline Charles

• :: Challenger ::
  • :: Challenger ::
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012 - 10:44:05 AM »
Looks like a cool car, if you're fine with the non#s motor and whatever is going on with the floor shift ...

Still not a horrible price, be sure to check underneath, around the cowl/battery, low on the fenders/quarters/rockers, around the windows, and if all the lines are good.
If you see anything that doesn't look good, just remember small things turn into big problems and you can always buy a different car. Good luck, glad the wife approves!
1970 Challenger SE - in the shop for metal work.
1970 'Cuda AAR - driving till the Chally gets back.

Offline JayBee

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012 - 10:51:35 AM »
Don't trust the sellers description, thoroughly check everything yourself. Double check the frame rails, even feel them to see if they're "soft/weak". Look for excessive undercoating, maybe it's hiding something. Lift the trunk mat and check out the trunk floor. Check where the hood hinges bolt to the inner fenders. These are just a few things I'm adding to what's already been said. Good luck and let us know what you come up with on Sunday.
John

1970 Barracuda convertible
2014 Toyota Avalon

Offline superdavejr

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012 - 02:39:36 PM »
i went to see it today. it doesn't look too bad but it is solid like the owner says. from what i could see the only rust in at the lower aft portion of the rear quarters, the trunk pan is shot, and the is a little bit of bubbling paint here and there with nothing showing on the opposite side. it has an ameteur  paint job, orange peel and fish eye everywhere and i assume plastic filler . it sat in storage for the past 15 years so i couldn't drive it cuz it pours gas out the carb so i think the floats are stuck or needle isn't seating. 79,000 miles. best part is he let it go for $3000 less than originally asking. i checked everything everybody warned me about, thanks for the input. i have a few pictures that i'll try to post.

Offline superdavejr

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012 - 03:45:39 PM »
i have more pictures but i phone takes hi-def photos so they are too big i'll take more smaller size pictures and post them over in "members rides" :)
sorry for not answering everyones questions, so here i go:

67vertman: i am not worried about the number matching, just wanted a barracuda that i can drive daily that i can fix up later, so yes it what i am looking for in a car.

ChallyCharlie: the floor shift was installed before the present owner same as the hood and doors.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2012 - 08:24:01 PM »
Superdave,

Your pictures are huge.

Try   http://imageshack.us/

Better than Photobucket cuz they won't disappear 3 months later.
Easier to use and less Pop ups.

Mike, Fremont, CA.