Author Topic: oil pan gasket  (Read 3551 times)

Offline jforest1

oil pan gasket
« on: July 26, 2012 - 10:42:04 PM »
Guys,

I ordered some Fel pro oil pan gaskets for my 340, and while waiting for them went ahead and took off the oil pan.  I noticed on the cork gaskets that were on it that there seemed to be some sort of blue pasty adhesive (kind of a smooth texture), but it scrapes off like rubber.

Should I expect to need something like this with the Fel pro gaskets or do they just go in, bolt the pan on, and done? 

If I do need adhesive, can someone point me in the right direction here?  What was that stuff?

Thanks,

JF
'73 Cuda 340 Slapstick, A727 Torqueflite Transmission, Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS 1806, Vintage Air Gen IV A/C system

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
Re: oil pan gasket
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012 - 11:04:20 PM »
That was Permatex. You should only need it on the inside corners where the
rubber seals meet the gasket. I use ultrablack Permatex.
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012 - 12:36:30 PM »
What Andy said. Make sure the pan is squeaky clean- use brake cleaner to be sure and put a good dab where the pan rail gaskets meet the curved end seals at all 4 corners. Use a quality sealant as mentioned; don't be cheap, you can wipe off any excess outside, but you don't want a golf ball inside either and let it cure for a least a day before putting oil on it. Good luck.  :2cents:

Offline 4 speed fish

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012 - 02:19:52 PM »
That ultra black works great.Make sure your pan is flat.I did not know my new pan was tweaked and it leaked bad.I took it off 3 times before I notice the pan was not flat.

Offline 1of1

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012 - 01:11:31 PM »
I just put a set on my big block, (I have windage tray) you need to use some "gasket sinch" ( looks like snot) on both side of the gasket and both block and pan...let all dry then asemble, put gasket on pan 1st it will stick in place...the rest is a breze.... I use a product for the 4 corners made for Honda raceing called HONDA BOND....it will not let you down for sealing around chain cover and rear main seal jornal....
1970 Cuda 383/335hp/4sp/V02
2006 FordGT40 Black Naked

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012 - 09:02:36 PM »
I just put a set on my big block, (I have windage tray) you need to use some "gasket sinch" ( looks like snot) on both side of the gasket and both block and pan...let all dry then asemble, put gasket on pan 1st it will stick in place...the rest is a breze.... I use a product for the 4 corners made for Honda raceing called HONDA BOND....it will not let you down for sealing around chain cover and rear main seal jornal....
[/quote

If you're gonna use all that crap, why bother with a gasket. Engines came from the factory without
all of this and sealed just fine. Use what you want, but it is NOT needed.

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline 1of1

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012 - 12:30:47 AM »

If you're gonna use all that crap, why bother with a gasket. Engines came from the factory without (AND THEY LEAK LIKE A SIVE!!!)
[/quote]

1st the sinch is to hold the gasket in place it has no value, The honda bond happens to be the best for corner and gap sealing..If the corners move when you put the little bit of "Permatex"  in the corners , they will leak...Advice is free, take it or leave it! My opinion is just as valuable as anyone elses here!!!

Offline jforest1

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012 - 09:11:55 AM »
Thanks guys!  I think I'm pointed in the right direction.  Time to hit the gas!

JF
'73 Cuda 340 Slapstick, A727 Torqueflite Transmission, Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS 1806, Vintage Air Gen IV A/C system

Offline BS CUDA

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012 - 11:00:27 AM »

If you're gonna use all that crap, why bother with a gasket. Engines came from the factory without (AND THEY LEAK LIKE A SIVE!!!)

1st the sinch is to hold the gasket in place it has no value, The honda bond happens to be the best for corner and gap sealing..If the corners move when you put the little bit of "Permatex"  in the corners , they will leak...Advice is free, take it or leave it! My opinion is just as valuable as anyone elses here!!!
I seem to have 0 luck without some stickum - seems the gaskets always move somehow and I and up doing it again. My friends tell me it has something to do with my left handedness.   :bigsmile: I also like the Permatex "Right Stuff" for corner glue :working:

Offline 1of1

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012 - 12:33:38 PM »
I have also converted to a stud kit...this will make no room for movement and give the gasket a chance to "Stick in place" before you put the pan on. I also am useing this tech when the engine is in the car...If its out of the car I don't use a stud kit....300 motors and counting...since the new Felpro with steel liner I have had 0 comebacks....

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012 - 12:35:10 PM »
" My friends tell me it has something to do with my left handedness." Nah, I'm left handed too and can use my right hand pretty good; most right handed guys have a useless appendage called a left hand.  :stirpot:  As for the Honda goo, don't diss them, they didn't get to sell as many vehicles as they do by making lousy product. As the old add used to say- " try it, you'll like it".  :thumbsup:

Offline 1of1

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012 - 01:06:23 PM »
This is what Honda uses in their Indy engines...now in all production cars...

Offline BS CUDA

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012 - 04:25:03 PM »
" My friends tell me it has something to do with my left handedness." Nah, I'm left handed too and can use my right hand pretty good; most right handed guys have a useless appendage called a left hand.  :stirpot:  As for the Honda goo, don't diss them, they didn't get to sell as many vehicles as they do by making lousy product. As the old add used to say- " try it, you'll like it".  :thumbsup:

In case you missed it Jimmy - I was agreeing with you while taking a light hearted shot at myself  :clueless: :bigsmile:

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012 - 07:13:13 PM »
I guess I should clarify myself. I do agree with you on a sealer in the corners. I have
also been known to use a couple of dabs of weatherstrip adhesive to hold a gasket in place ( it works wonders) ,
but I just don't see why some people use a whole tube of permatex between the gasket and the pan. That
is what the gasket is for. I always wipe down the pan and block mating surface with
acetone and I have yet to have a leak.

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline jforest1

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2012 - 08:55:54 PM »
gasket and center link on.  will see tomorrow if it holds oil...

JF