Workshop design help wanted.

Author Topic: Workshop design help wanted.  (Read 2311 times)

Offline Cannibal94

Re: Workshop design help wanted.
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2005 - 09:39:53 PM »
I agree with Chryco about the heated floors.  It is rather costly to install (i've heard)  but what a difference!  I was lucky and bought into my 2-stall 40 X 30 shop with heated floors.  Its nice to lay on the concrete in the winter and when your shirt lifts up a little when your laying under your car, you don't get that nasty chill down your spine!!  Also, when I open up the doors and let the heat out, it is back up to temperature in about a minute or two. 

just my $.02

Offline jimbo

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2005 - 09:00:36 PM »
One thing I didn't do and have regretted it is to put
a ring in the floor in line with the door at the back
so you can winch in a disabled car. Would make it
much easier to  put  a non running car  inside.

Offline Old Moparz

• Larks' Tongues In Aspic
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2005 - 04:04:38 PM »
I like the idea of one large building with a dividing wall for several reasons. If you run utilities to the shop, it's only one trench to dig & one set of conduits & pipe. One less wall to build will save time, & also save on additional concrete forms. If you aren't heating the slab, heating only half will save on heating expenses. Maybe the carport in between is okay, but I'd rather have the additional parking space enclosed from the start. It's always cheaper to build bigger from the start than add or modify later.

Rough in as many utilities as you can before you pour, even if you aren't planning on using them right away. A pipe for sewer, a pipe for water, (gas?) & at least 2 conduits for electricity, one for the main high voltage & one for low voltage like telephone. I connected a cast iron pipe to my nearby septic tank for when I eventually add a sink. I didn't run a water line to mine, but placed a large conduit with a sweep (curved) & cap down below the frost line, & out 4 feet from the wall so I can dig & slip it through later.

Electric conduit for both high & low voltage is cheap, & if you stub them up through the floor, & also to a point just outside the building with a cap, it will be there for future use. I stubbed in 2 conduits, but wish I had done 2 more. I have electric to my garage from my house, & also several sets of low voltage wires for telephone, alarm, CATV from the dish on the garage to the house. I had to add a 2nd line for CATV & had to pull out the wires, add one & pull it back through. If I had another conduit I wouldn't have had to do that.

I agree about the size, go bigger than 20 or 21 feet. I think 24 feet is probably the minimum width to have for car doors open without clearance issues. Even depth, the cars mostly range from 16 to 18 feet & to have room in front & rear to stand, jack & work is very important. If you look at the sketch below, my shop is staggered & the left is too shallow to work, but adequate to park. (I had to clear a property line & septic tank.)
Newburgh, New York - 12550

Walking is good for you. It's documented that for every minute you exercise, you add a minute to your life. This enables you to spend an additional 5 months in a nursing home at $5000 per month.

RedLine

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2005 - 04:30:48 PM »
I agree with all these suggestions... if you got the checkbook to do it!  We had to do most of our own work...  even the design we did on computer.  Ours was attached to house so we had to work that design aspect into it.  But the separation of the shop and the main area has been very helpful with dust.  here's some plans we had going into it....  24x60  along an original 24X12 garage

RedLine

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2005 - 04:45:22 PM »
also - check around town to see what demolitions might be going on in office complexes... we went over to one area with a 28 foot u-haul truck and carted off tons of cabinets from a medical complex renovation project the night before they were scheduled to be destroyed.  This contributed to our design....
« Last Edit: March 01, 2005 - 04:48:33 PM by RedLine »

Offline Cannibal94

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2005 - 10:05:40 PM »
Here is my shop, sorry about the excessive size of picture but I wanted to show you my shop drawing!   ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline CHARGER_FAN

• Undercover Charger
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2005 - 11:18:22 PM »
 :laughup: I think a stiff breeze might flatten that one! :laughup:

Wow, Redline...that's a lot of great looking cabinets! :eekbig:

'70 Charger 500

Offline 72cuda

• mmmmm, boiling gas
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2005 - 10:54:08 AM »
Here is my shop, sorry about the excessive size of picture but I wanted to show you my shop drawing!   ;D

72 Cuda 383 4-spd

Drive it like you paid for it