Author Topic: Gas Tank stamp/stencil  (Read 998 times)

Offline mikeljAAR

Gas Tank stamp/stencil
« on: August 01, 2012 - 01:48:09 PM »
Does anybody know what stamp was on the metal of the 1970 'Cuda gas tank?  I was looking for a stencil to reproduce it and there are three, a U.S. Steel, a Pittsburg Steel and another one.  Also, any idea of the color?  Black, blue?  Thanks.
"I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment"

Offline Barracudadan

Re: Gas Tank stamp/stencil
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012 - 04:12:54 PM »
Did all tanks have this symbol? I ask since I am a sheetmetal worker and I have seen those symbols on full sheets of sheetmetal usually running down the center of the sheet every few feet. I`m wondering if your tank just got the logo randomly during production of the tank and not all tanks would have them. I can`t recall the third logo either been a while since I have seen the U.S Steel and Pittsburg Steel logos, I see those logos every now and then on old ductwork when i`m working. I have an old original tank in my basement I never noticed if it has a logo anywhere on it might be too rusted to tell if it is there anyway.

Offline mikeljAAR

Re: Gas Tank stamp/stencil
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012 - 11:09:45 AM »
I'm sure not every tank would have them, but some did as they were stamped out of the sheets, and of course they might be on the top, where you can't see them.  It just adds a bit of detail to an otherwise plain area that judges at the Mopar Nationals tend to like, since they are date coded like so many other parts.
"I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment"