Would you recommend a mopar for a teenager??

Author Topic: Would you recommend a mopar for a teenager??  (Read 8022 times)

Offline Robb

Re: Would you recommend a mopar for a teenager??
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2005 - 06:56:50 PM »
Hi everyone.  :wave:
I appreciate all of your comments and words of advice. And as you may have guessed, I am a teenager and currently looking for a car, and I'm in love the the classic American Muscle cars. It would be a dream to start out with a Barraduca or a Challenger that both my Dad and I could work on. I would love to pursue a career in automotive restoration or car customizing but I still have a LOT to learn. I want a car that at least runs and won't break down on me before I get to work....   Now all I have to do is find a car under $10,000  that has a small engine  and someone that could help us with the mechanics part (because my Dad is more of an electronics engineer and a carpenter than a mechanic). 

unless youre a quick learner in mechanics...  youre going to get nickel and dimed to death if your dad cant help you.

I knew a girl whos mom bought her a fixed-up 65 mustang.  No dad around.  Pretty good looking car, but they just couldnt handle all the little things that showed up now and again that is part of a 35-40 yo car.   Had to take it to the corner garage for every little thing, and they got treated as a cash cow. 

ALso, be prepared to walk ( or have a back up vehicle) when parts have to get special ordered.

Regardless of how much money you have, Its just not practical.

70 Challenger SE  (440 SIX PACK / Keisler 5 speed, R/T SE replication)       68 Sport Satellite Convertible 383 Super Commando / 727  Survivor

2002 Trans AM WS6 convertible:  DD
1999 4Runner 4x4:  lifted-locked-armored  expedition vehicle
1990 Jeep XJ 4x4:  Front Dana 60, GM-14bolt rear, 3 link, 4link, 5.38 detroits, beadlocked 40's, stretched to 110" wb  Rock Crawler

Offline Goonie

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2005 - 07:48:08 PM »
unless youre a quick learner in mechanics...  youre going to get nickel and dimed to death if your dad cant help you.

I knew a girl whos mom bought her a fixed-up 65 mustang.  No dad around.  Pretty good looking car, but they just couldnt handle all the little things that showed up now and again that is part of a 35-40 yo car.   Had to take it to the corner garage for every little thing, and they got treated as a cash cow. 

ALso, be prepared to walk ( or have a back up vehicle) when parts have to get special ordered.

Regardless of how much money you have, Its just not practical.

Thanks, I shall definately keep that in mind.    ;)

I guess I'll have to keep all my car-crazy friends around for a long time!  :laughing:  :driving:

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2005 - 08:07:45 PM »
I knew a girl whos mom bought her a fixed-up 65 mustang.  No dad around.  Pretty good looking car, but they just couldnt handle all the little things that showed up now and again that is part of a 35-40 yo car.   Had to take it to the corner garage for every little thing, and they got treated as a cash cow

Sounds like a Ferd story to me :laughing: :laughup:

seriously  That could happen in a 3 year old Honda or any car you might buy...I think the Dart or Duster
Idea is the best

Offline HEMI HUNTER

• SERIOUS H.P.IS REALLY COOL
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2005 - 09:27:41 PM »
killer mopar    welcome       every 19yr old should have your love of cars
Why are the only other cars on the road all in my rear view mirror?  Oh yeah cause I got a 440/6 pack

Thank you GOD for the "Go Fast Division"

Plum6Pak

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2005 - 09:45:55 PM »
 :iagree:  You'll fit right in here, there are quite a few young and passionate Mopar fans on this forum! Glad you're here.  :thumbs:

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2005 - 10:21:34 PM »
:iagree:  You'll fit right in here, there are quite a few young and passionate Mopar fans on this forum! Glad you're here.  :thumbs:

Im glad to hear there are some more young guns here. I seem to be the only one into mopar muscle where I live, especially in my age bracket. Most of the people, old and young are into the rice scene and besides my challenger and my dads challenger, I dont think there are many mopars around(I do know of a AAR and a Hemi cuda rotting away though :fire:) I hope to get the body painted by july, but Im in college now and dont have the time or money to spend on my car.....so we'll see how it goes.  As long as I can enter the young guns competition by the time I complete the car, Ill be happy. In the mean time, I'll spend my time studying and posting on here ;D
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline Phoenix76

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2005 - 10:39:06 PM »
I had a 1973 Charger Rallye 440 with a 3:55 sure grip and 727 trans when I was 17 years old, and i'm 21 now. That car ran like a bat out of hell but I brought the car mysellf and worked on it myself (changed the carb and rear-end). It was my only means of transport and it only did me wrong once over the course of about 2 years, (Jumped timing) I was mature enought to handle it, knowing when to hit it and when to let it go, and my dad also felt I could handle it. He's got a 70 charger 440, so he knows what they can do. If the teen can handle it, I'd say get him a cool old mopar to drive around, it's a huge boost of confidence when you know you have the coolest (and most likely the best looking car around). The ladies love MoPars.
-2004 Dakota
-2002 Yamaha R6
-1973 Cuda

Offline Ghost

• Resident
  • I miss my Barracuda :(
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2005 - 11:56:01 PM »
You got a 10k budget?  Damn.  You'll be able to find a nice, solid SB E body for that, or, a completely restored A body.

Oh, and can I borrow about 3k? ;D ;D :laughing:

Can't blame me for trying.

Plum6Pak

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2005 - 06:54:34 AM »
(I do know of a AAR and a Hemi cuda rotting away though :fire:)

Would you mind sending me a personal message with the wherabouts of these two fine rust buckets?  :thumbs:

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2005 - 04:08:14 PM »
 :dontknow: What is wrong with a youg guy or gal having a muscle car? Obviously MATURITY is the key word, hell I'm 58 and admittedly sometime I get a bit immature behind the wheel of my Mopars, but I make sure no one around me is going to get hurt because of me acting like a "kid" sometimes. We've all done it and we all still do it (it's like another fun thing,lol), as far as getting hurt (or worse) that can happen in a Rambler stationwagon going 35 mph. But seriously, maturity in my opion is the key factor, that combined with trust will go a long way in all aspects of life, not just driving a muscle car. HAVE  FUN  ! !
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2005 - 04:27:00 PM »
Would you mind sending me a personal message with the wherabouts of these two fine rust buckets?  :thumbs:

Would send a private message so you can try to beat anyone else out, but it wont matter anyhow cause the owners wont sell, the AAR cuda is rotting on the outside of a storage garage complex in Lorain, Ohio. Its F8 green and can still be restored, but will take a lot of work. The owner is stubborn and has turned down every offer claiming "he will restore it", I left my number and my old man left his, but they were just added to a stack that was already there(this was 3 years ago and still sitting in the same spot). The hemi cuda is a 70 and appears to be originally hemi-orange, but Im not 100% sure, Its located in Vermillion, OH and is about 10 minutes away from the AAR. The guy that owns the cuda said he has the original engine and that he was "gonna start restoring it nsoon", this was over two years ago and last time I checked(a long time ago) it was still sitting in the back of his shop. Ill try to go check them out this weekend and see if they're still there, if they are I'll get some pictures. On a side note, about 20 feet from that AAR cuda lies a 68 notchback cuda and once again, the owner doesnt want to sell. O well, I really dont care that they arent doing anything with them, it just pisses me off that they dont have them enclosed from the harsh elements of northern Ohio. Maybe one of these days they will sell them, but I have a feeling that the 68 and AAR will just sit there till there unrestorable, while the Hemi will be sold to the highest bidder(if it already hasnt been).

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2005 - 04:44:22 PM »
Ohh forgot to say that Im not 100% sure that the Cuda is a Hemi Cuda, but the owner claims it was and he said he had the engine, so thats a pretty good sign. The AAR is almost positively genuine, my dad knew the car when it was still on the road in the mid-70s, the engine might not be original, but it is a real AAR. I guess the AAR never idled, ran, or sounded good (probably the 6-pak). Thats about everything I know about them, Ill try to get pics this weekend.

cudahob

« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2005 - 05:16:59 PM »
Awesome dude, thanks for the info. Money talks, I got a $20 lets make a save the Cuda fund.

Show up with trucks trailers and $20,000. cash it's ours!!  :thumbs:

Offline Moparmatt

• Resident
  • Mopar or No Car - Member Since 10/09/03
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2005 - 06:26:13 PM »
Cudahob- I'll take personal responsibility for it once its done... and I'll even hang on to the title, if you want.

Welcome, Killer Mopar!
Welcome, Phoenix76!

Plum6Pak

« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2005 - 10:37:39 PM »
Thanks for the rundown on the two cars. Pictures are great, just depressing when they are sitting rotting away and nothing anyone can do about it.  Wasn't trying to beat anyone out on anything, just making a funny but maybe it didn't sound that way. WSM, I believe you hit the nail on that reply.  :thumbs: