Author Topic: Would you recommend a mopar for a teenager??  (Read 8037 times)

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
Re: Would you recommend a mopar for a teenager??
« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2008 - 01:20:35 PM »
I don't think the question has much to do with respect or responsibility.  The fact of the matter is that you would be putting your son/daughter in a car with 35+ year old technology and safety equipment.  It's fine if that's what we did as parents back when we were getting our first cars, but back then it was either new technology or just several years old, and it's what everyone else on the road had.  I don't care how safe the child might be, if they get cut off, ABS might save their lives, along with an air bag and crumple zones, whereas locking up the brakes and a lap belt could kill them.  Just look at how many kids kill themselves street racing in new cars, add a torsion bar front end and spring leaf rear and consider what those numbers could be.  I personally think as a parent it is irresponsible to allow kids to drive such cars as daily drivers, but that is just my  :2cents: .  If they show a lot of interest, let them take your car for a spin avery now and then, with you as a passenger of course  :bigsmile: .

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2008 - 01:52:08 PM »
It depends.  Much, if not all has to do with how you were raised.  For a daily driver?  Maybe if it had a slant with disc brakes or something.  I drove a decent Mopar in High School, a super clean short bed truck.  When I was 19, almost 20, I bought my D200 pickup, and my Challenger later that year (2006).  I set some rules for myself I never intend on breaking.  No one besides me or my Dad will ever drive my car.  Not to my knowledge anyways.  The manual brakes and steering are too much for most people to handle.  It will never be driven anywhere high traffic, IE, downtown Minneapolis/St. Paul.  It will rarely get driven after dusk, deer country up here.  And the most important one.  I will never EVER drink one drop of alcohol and drive either one.  EVER 

I had to pay to play.  Nothing was spoon fed to me.  I watch my expenses carefully, always allowing for gifts to church also.  Helps keep my head straight.  I also save anything and everything I can, I dont blow it once I get it.   

Most kids these days have no idea what it's like to work for your $$.  The get it handed to them.  The 80's/90's were good to kids.  The economy was great, parents started paying for more and more for their kids.  Our generation has not seen any hard times.  I dont think we'll know what to do if that ever happens someday. 

Sorry, just a rant from someone who believes they were raised right.   :misbehaving:

Offline MJS73

• Mike's 1973 Challenger
« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2008 - 02:26:59 PM »
challenger6pak2 and 71bigblock have it right.

Mike
www.mikes73.com
Don't PM me - send me an e-mail at mjsavage2001@yahoo.com

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2008 - 09:42:23 PM »
challenger6pak2 and 71bigblock have it right.

Mike

:iagree:
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline HemiOrange70

• Resident
« Reply #79 on: May 24, 2008 - 10:00:58 PM »
I say nope........a car like that attracts too much attention. THe temptation to light them up is too great (even for us "mature' adluts)

Offline Andrew

• Resident
« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2008 - 06:28:51 AM »
I have to agree with hemiorange70. Even in my v6 slug, I have been known to plant my foot if Im trying to impress someone (or scare the hell out of them). I know that I am extremely lucky that noone was hurt in those situations. I do regret doing it, but to be honest I doubt I will stop doing it any time soon. But Im 17, Im stupid and to test the limits of all my cars.

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #81 on: May 25, 2008 - 08:48:49 AM »
Andrew, if you regretted it why would you do it again? I'll give you the 17 part. As far as stupid I have read many of your posts and don't agree with you on that one. If you want to test limits can you go to a track? Is there one near you? It really depends on the person. Yesterday a guy in his 50's had a wreck doing 60 mph. in the neighborhood. He hit a car trying to avoid a kid on a bike. We have many 16 year olds in the neighborhood, that drive much better. It comes down to being able to control yourself. This gets easier as you get older. Some people never discipline theirselves to be in control and many times have to suffer the consequences because of their poor judgement. The worst thing is that many times they injure an innocent victim in the process. I speak from experience. I tore up several Mopars on the street. I stopped before anyone got hurt. I have friends that didn't. Some of them are dead because of it. Other than Dad breathing down my neck I didn't have a group of people who liked cars, like I did, suggesting what to do and what to not do. You are lucky to have this at CC.
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #82 on: May 25, 2008 - 09:03:19 AM »
Andrew - Please don't take offense at this but this is exactly the attitude that has been talked about earlier.  I'm sure every teenager (and older) that has been killed or seriously injured in street racing, etc knew in the back of their mind that it was a  :nono: , but still did it, figuring it would never happen to them.  All it takes is a split second of stupidity or lack on concentration with a 35 year old car, and ..................

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #83 on: May 25, 2008 - 09:37:15 AM »
Andrew - Please don't take offense at this but this is exactly the attitude that has been talked about earlier.  I'm sure every teenager (and older) that has been killed or seriously injured in street racing, etc knew in the back of their mind that it was a  :nono: , but still did it, figuring it would never happen to them.  All it takes is a split second of stupidity or lack on concentration with a 35 year old car, and ..................
73chally - I  does not matter if it's a 35 ear old car or a brand new Mustang, stupidity can kill you just as fast in either case.  Yes, some the modern technology can push the upper limits of a car further out, however, that same technology can also give a person a false sense of security.  It is never safe to street race, period.  Does not matter if is it's a couple of hopped up Rice burners with coffee can fart pipes or a 340 Duster against a Mustang GT, take it to the track.  I have heard maturity as being defined as the ability to delay gratification.  Simply put: "Children do what feels good now. Adults make informed decisions, plan for that decision and act on those decisions at the appropriate time."
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 Hemi

1972 Dodge Demon - "new" project

AND TOO MANY OTHER MOPARS THROUGH MY HANDS TO COUNT

nivvy

« Reply #84 on: May 25, 2008 - 09:52:36 AM »
FYI - when the first time my dad finally let me take out his 69 Super Bee 440 pistol grip I was very cautious with it....  :2cents:

I was more resposible then than I am now........  :working:

I hope this thread doesnt turn ugly....

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #85 on: May 25, 2008 - 10:44:32 AM »
Kids probably not a teenager any more.    :roflsmiley:

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #86 on: May 25, 2008 - 10:47:31 AM »
Kids probably not a teenager any more.    :roflsmiley:
Very True. :smilielol: :smilielol:
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline Stacked440

« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2008 - 02:02:54 PM »
slant six duster, will teach him patience and humility :roflsmiley:
-Kyle-
1971 Challenger R/T clone 440/5-spd
1973 Duster - 5.7L Hemi swap project

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2008 - 08:01:04 PM »
slant six duster, will teach him patience and humility :roflsmiley:
Yeah but it's hard to be humble when you drive a MOPAR  :ylsuper:
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 Hemi

1972 Dodge Demon - "new" project

AND TOO MANY OTHER MOPARS THROUGH MY HANDS TO COUNT

Offline DanGoodman

• MOPAR OR NO CAR
« Reply #89 on: May 25, 2008 - 08:42:24 PM »
Yes without a second thought with conditions  we need to continue to give our kids exposure to this hobby

:chatting:
MOPAR FAMILY