Would you recommend a mopar for a teenager??

Author Topic: Would you recommend a mopar for a teenager??  (Read 8030 times)

Offline HEMI HUNTER

• SERIOUS H.P.IS REALLY COOL
Re: Would you recommend a mopar for a teenager??
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2005 - 08:00:00 AM »
jeez Plum the second I read rotting cars i knew someone would say what I was thinking!!!!! :laughup:
Why are the only other cars on the road all in my rear view mirror?  Oh yeah cause I got a 440/6 pack

Thank you GOD for the "Go Fast Division"

Offline rnsykes

« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2005 - 03:11:45 PM »
Great thread.  Brings up som not too distant memories.  I'm only 27 now, but My dad bought my 71 barracuda in 1974.  Drove it till 1983 and parked it under a tree in his parents yard with many dents and dings.  Slowly it deteriorated.  he always kept it running, but hte transmission eventually quit.  They bought their current (1st) home in 1986 and it had a garage.  So they fired up the old barracuda and drive it about 2 miles to its new home.  My dad weather all kinds of criticism from family members who tried to pressure him into selling the car.  Once it got to it's new home, it sat undisturbed and burried in the tiny garage until 1994.  By then it didn't run, if it did run, it woudln't have moved anyway.  there were fist sized rust holes in the quarters, one fender, one floor pan and trunk.  My dad, always the faithful one jokingly told me that if I could get it running and back on the road by the time I got my license, I could have it.  that was all the push I needed.  I had the car running with in a month.  I did some first time body work and a home made pain job on it.  Put in a salvaged automatic transmission, and made it somewhat roadworthy.  The problem was I was still only 16.  I had a whole year to go before I got to drive it.  So I yanked the engine and rebuilt it.  Replaced jsut about every mechanical part on the car including the brakes and front end.  I learned everythig as i went, and when I had problems, I'd read up on it.  I read articles in magazines and tried new I deas I came up with.  If it ran better, great.  If not, I put it back to the way it was.  So once i got my license, it was in pretty good running condition.  The body was nothing to be proud of, but atleast I had a cool car in highschool.  I drove it for a year and a half, never once let it get dinged up.  then I bought a new truck after graduation.  I parked the car in the garage and went ot work on a serious restoration which is still in the making.  I do things as I can afford them now, and I still learn as I go.  I wish this site had been available to me back in 1995.  You'll never know what is possible until you try.  Buy a Factory Service manual to go with the car.  The only thing I had for many years was an old Chiltons manual.  Learn how the car works, and you'll begin to understand what components should be donig what.  Good luck with it.  On a side note, I have friend who was in a similar situation.  He was a old car lover from birth.  He had several news paper routes growin up and saved his pennies to buy a @#$GM@#$ muscle car.  It was a 1967 Chevy Malibu.  HIs dad had a concourse national show winner 57 bel air.  He and his did worked long and hard on that car.  Converted it from a 305 TH350 to a 350 700R4.  It got 28mpg hwy and had a $10,000 paint job on it.  It had power everything.  the cut up a el-camino for its AC components.  This was a nece car.  He had it about a month, and crashed it into a fence going around a curve sideways.  Bent up the frame and everything.  His dad opened up his wallet again, and got the car fixed, but made him buy a different car for his daily driver.

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2005 - 03:38:40 PM »
Thats a great story rnsykes!!  I bet you can't wait to get your car finished and start driving it again!    :burnout:   :burnout:   :burnout:

Offline Goonie

« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2005 - 04:29:44 PM »
 :iagree:     

rnsykes, That's exactly what I want to do.
Jjust right now I lack the car.  :-\   So I guess now all I have to do is find a car for sale here that is within my price range...

Did you have any help from your dad or friends?

Offline rnsykes

« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2005 - 07:46:17 AM »
My dad knew how to change the thermostat and do regular maintenance, but that was the extent of it.  I had friends who were always willing to help, but non that really knew for sure what they were doing.  I always made sure I put the new parts on the way the old ones came off.  4Cruzin, I do drive the car on nice days now.  My wife made sure I had it back on the road for our wedding.  I still have a few small things to do to it.  The major being the leaf springs and head liner.  Other than that, it's small stuff.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline challenger72rt

• My l'il girl w' Dodge hat
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2005 - 11:25:44 AM »
I am a great believer that a guy will ALMOST always wreck his first car.  My first car was a 350 powered '81 Buick Century.  Sure 'nuff, I nosed it into a cement pole, and totalled the front end.  Subsequently, my next three cars, all early-80's Mustangs would meet with a fatal end.  My bud bought a K-Car, and smacked it all up.  When our friend, Dave got his license and went to buy a car, we (me and my bud Chris...the 'Devil' on my shoulder) insisted that before he buy the shiny, new Civic off of his older sister, he get a 'beater'.  We picked him up a rust-bucket mid-80's Cavalier, and sure enuff, he had a seizure one afternoon, and put the thing around a phone pole. 

Since then, he's on med's (it was his first seizure) and now has that shiny black Civic from his sister.  There are exceptions, but for a male teen, expect his first car to be written off.  Get'm a K-Car for his first car, and when he wrecks it, bump up to the classic Mopar.  IMO
"Once upon a time I had a really bad Monday"

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2005 - 12:41:44 PM »
Get'm a K-Car for his first car, and when he wrecks it, bump up to the classic Mopar.  IMO

Nicely put.  :grinyes: Those K-cars are giveaways now. If it's dinged or dented, no biggie. If the teenager can drive that for a couple of years without incident, then a step-up to something else would be in order.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2005 - 01:00:57 PM »
Yep! When my son was 16 we bought him an 87 cavalier for $125 on ebay.  Drove it for 2 years without incident.  Who would want to race a 105 hp (if that) cavalier?? 
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline challenger72rt

« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2005 - 01:03:31 PM »
After I finished smackin up all them Rustangs, and went to an '89 Aries (ok...so I put in a modified Colt motor, so it'd spin the tires when I blipped the go-pedal) it lasted me about 4 years without incident. 

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2005 - 01:13:35 PM »
You know what? When I think about Chrysler, it's amazing they made it thru that K-car phase in the 80's. To have that crap as your main line of cars... wow.  ::) ::) ::)

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline challenger72rt

« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2005 - 01:26:01 PM »
Keep in mind that the newly invented K-Car based minivan SAVED Chrysler from oblivion!  The minivan is the hero of the Viper...without it, DC wudda gone under well before the '94 SRT

Offline aarong5

« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2008 - 12:55:24 AM »
i am 16 almost 17 and i think that as long as they pay for the car there self they will have more respect for it such as i have, watching the car go from sitting for 15 years to fresh paint and new engine and all.

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2008 - 01:18:51 AM »
If they help build it then yes because they will most likely respect it. If it is handed to them then no because they will probably take it for granted and trash it. My daughter wants to help me get my 70 running which needs a lot of work. I will probably let her drive it and may even give it to her if she respects it enough to keep it in decent shape. The only stipulation I will put on the car is that NO boyfriend will ever drive it or its gone. I still have a couple of years till boyfriends and driving so for now my sanity stays intact.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2008 - 01:21:29 AM »
Keep in mind that the newly invented K-Car based minivan SAVED Chrysler from oblivion!  The minivan is the hero of the Viper...without it, DC wudda gone under well before the '94 SRT

Ugh DC, what an ugly name. 94? Back when the 92 Viper was released the company name was just plane old Chrysler, yeah that has a nice ring to it  :bigsmile:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline jims70cuda

• My car photos
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2008 - 12:46:49 PM »

Holy Dead Thead Batman!!!  :wow:

My .02, if the kid has to work to get it running and keep it drivable he/she will respect it. An A or E body can be a nice driver for a kid if it isn't too powerful. My first car was a Pontiac Fiero...yes the moving fire hazard...and I bought it for 400 bucks. It needed the driver's side door, fender, paint and a good tuneup. But I got body up to snuff and the V-6 running. Kept her running for 4-5 years (brakes, alternator, cat, trans....). I ended up calling her Mary Jane since she took all my money and I had nothing to show for it.  :lol:  On the other hand, my little brother bought a '72 Scamp as his first car. It has the 318 in it, but my dad won't let him drive it in the winter or take it to college. So he ended up using my old Fiero after I bought my SRT-4.
cuda-challenger.com's resident ricer
1970 'Cuda 340 727 w/ 3.91 "Project"
Lemon Twist, black vinyl top, Hockey Stick, Go-Wing, Louvers
2004 SRT 4 "Scarlet"
Flame red, AAR 'Cuda Stripes, 1/4 mile - 13.4 @ 109 on street tires