Author Topic: Leaking power steering unit?  (Read 1403 times)

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
Leaking power steering unit?
« on: August 05, 2012 - 12:07:08 AM »
I have 2 power steering units thaT are not that old and both leak?  I found a vender in Columbus at the nationals and send both units to be repaired.   Neither lasted a year?  Although they are both chrome units, I would think somehow I can get them to hold fluid?  Does anyone know somewhere they can be repaired and last more than a year?   :screwy:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Leaking power steering unit?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012 - 09:08:34 AM »
pumps or steering boxes ?
 Omega makes seal kits , the reservoir is easily unbolted & the seal can be replaced , the front shaft seal is slightly more difficult to swap but not hard

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012 - 09:31:58 AM »
 I am talking pumps . . . . Getting to be a pain . . . Cleaning up the fluid and filling all the time.   I would think there is someone out there that has the same issue and a solution.  S since I see no way on the Exterior to unbolt these things, where do I start?   

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012 - 10:03:11 AM »
Is it leaking at the shaft? or the housing. If it's leaking at the housing I would bet
that the chrome plating is interfering with the sealing ability of the o ring.  Is the
housing a saginaw pump style?
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline DMZ73

• http://www.pbase.com/dmz73/
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012 - 12:07:39 PM »
pumps or steering boxes ?
 Omega makes seal kits , the reservoir is easily unbolted & the seal can be replaced , the front shaft seal is slightly more difficult to swap but not hard

Call Jim Filletti. He had a shop on Gratiot a while back, but since moved to his location.
his number is five 8Six five3one one54Nine.
Dun-Rite steering.
He rebuilds pumps and boxes.

Best,

Dan
One E body saved, 7 years and counting.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012 - 12:12:09 PM »
Once the pump is removed there is a large fitting on the rear , remove that & possible a second nut & the reservoir slides off the pump , there is a large O ring around the body of the pump & a small oring under the fitting /s

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012 - 01:53:30 PM »
Once the pump is removed there is a large fitting on the rear , remove that & possible a second nut & the reservoir slides off the pump , there is a large O ring around the body of the pump & a small oring under the fitting /s

Since I have 2 and both leak . . . I may try to fix myself.  If not . . I will call Jim Filletti and see what he can do for me!  Thanks all!   :thumbsup:

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012 - 01:58:01 PM »
Did you see this thread http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=86728.0 ?  It might be helpful.

Mine is leaking as well and I've ordered a rebuild kit to try this out.

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012 - 02:11:05 PM »
Did you see this thread http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=86728.0 ?  It might be helpful.

Mine is leaking as well and I've ordered a rebuild kit to try this out.

Yeah I was very interested in that thread but since mine is a chrome aftermarket unit . . . it is a little different I think but still similar.  I have 2 units that are about the same and both leak . . . someone mentioned that it may be the chrome that is causing the o-ring not to seal propertly?  Sure need to get it figured out. 

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012 - 04:26:59 PM »
Is it still a saginaw or federal unit? My 74 has a different style unit, but it's still a 0.94 unit so (supposedly) the rebuild kits will fit

If you can get a kit for it, you should be able to knock the chrome off the mating surfaces during the rebuild.

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012 - 04:52:23 PM »
Is it still a saginaw or federal unit? My 74 has a different style unit, but it's still a 0.94 unit so (supposedly) the rebuild kits will fit

If you can get a kit for it, you should be able to knock the chrome off the mating surfaces during the rebuild.

Except for the pulley and brackets  . . . that looks like the one I have!    Any idea where I can get a kit for this?  I actually sent both to a place in Columbus that was at the Nationals and they fixed both units supposely and both leaked within a few months.  More money down the drain . . .  :banghead:

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012 - 04:58:23 PM »
From what I've read it supposed to use the same kit that _Russ_ had in the other thread (Edelmann 7910).  I found several people selling them on eBay for like $20.  Hopefully it will show up before next weekend and I'll tear mine down and let you know if it fits :)