Author Topic: Car show etiquitte  (Read 5562 times)

Offline XmasCuda

Car show etiquitte
« on: August 05, 2012 - 09:49:52 PM »
Went to a car show today, in Simcoe, Ontario. This twit in a 69 383 Cuda parked beside me. The cars were parked on a slight hill, so if you opened a door, it would swing out towards the car next to you. Well, this twit parked next to me, and within 10 minutes, he left. It wasn't until later, when I went to the passenger door, and saw a fingernail sized chip in the paint on the door, that I figured out why he left in such a hurry. Didn't bother to tell me, just ran off. Thanks. The car was dark brown, a fastback with the hood scoops, had a couple dents, and lettering on the back window about 383 A bodies.

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
Re: Car show etiquitte
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012 - 09:56:34 PM »
That sucks!  :pullinghair:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline TorOrange

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012 - 10:09:41 PM »
Take a pic that shows the day. Chances are you'll run into him again. Unless it's a big show that people come from miles.
WANTED 71 cuda / barracuda project. Prefer Black but open.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012 - 10:15:28 PM »
That's not good.  Did you bring it to the attension of the show officials?  They should really look at lining cars up a different way.   If the guy registered his car, maybe you can find out who he is.

A few years ago I was at the Mopars on the Mississippi show when a young kid came flying through the show field on a motorised scooter.  Someone in the swap meet was selling it and the kid took it for a ride.  The throttle stuck and he rolled it right between two 71 Chargers.  The handle put a long deep scratch down the door of one of the cars. 

There isn't a safe place to park your car.  You just have to keep them insured and hope for the best.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012 - 10:20:30 PM »
That's a stinker for sure.

I don't think it limited to car shows unfortunately.  I think it's a societal thing, people don't own up to what they do, don't care as much about the next guy.  Sad....   :(
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012 - 10:47:17 PM »
Wasn't at a car show, but many years ago I took a load of people in my Javelin to a diner. The parking was all on steep hills, and my nitwit passenger pulled the door handle and let the door fly into a brand new Jeep. I went in, found the owner, and offered to pay for the touch-up. The owner was pissed, but also understanding, and told me to forget it.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline JH27N0B

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012 - 12:38:32 AM »
I was at a show in my town 8 or 9 years ago that was in the parking lot of a bank.  When I backed my Challenger in, I found that the spots were narrow and I had to be very careful when I opened my door not to ding the Torino parked next to me.  I opened my trunk, got my chair out and sat down for a bit.  A beat up '71 Challenger came in and parked next to me, the owner, who was a chubby slob looking guy who resembled Chris Farley got out and I noticed he just swung open the door not being cautious like when I opened my door to get out a bit earlier.  I stood up and looked at the side of my car but didn't notice anything from my vantage point toward the back of my car.  Later when I got home I looked close at my passenger side door, and saw a little crease just below the beltline where that slob had dinged my car!   :stomp:
I was so pissed I ended up with a migraine for the next 2 days.  I saw the guy later at a few shows but felt like it was too late to accuse him of damaging my car, though when I'd spot him, I'd feel my blood pressure spike 20 points!!
I later took the car to a paintless body repair place and they said they didn't want to chance trying to remove the little crease, as they felt some filler might have been used when the car was painted, so they were afraid it might crack if they used their methods.  Therefore the little ding is there to this day.  There is a pinstripe there below the crease on my car so it isn't very noticable, nonetheless, I am still very pissed off someone could be so careless, especially another Challenger owner!

Offline TinCuda

• 'Cuda
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012 - 01:07:48 AM »
I have a bunch of door ding stories from over the years.  The thing that always floors me is the atitude people have.  One lady said that it is just part of car ownership, as if it was somehow my fault that she hit my car with her door.

(O O [             SRT ] O O)
(O O {]{]{]||[}[}[} O O)
{||O||}

2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
1971 Plymouth 'Cuda 440-6
2008 Dodge Charger R/T Hemi
2015 Chrysler 200c AWD 3.6L
2000 Yamaha V-Max
Doing my part to leave a big carbon footprint!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Shot at 2012-09-05

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
Car show etiquitte
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012 - 04:09:57 AM »
Sadly enough, you can't fix the stupidity of others around you. The best is when you clearly make the effort to park three football fields away from every other car in a populated parking lot and by the time you come out, there are several beat up cars parked all around you. :villagers:
That truly sucks other MoPar owners can be that careless to others cars as well as to their own.
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline spamtank

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012 - 05:51:00 AM »
The best is when you clearly make the effort to park three football fields away from every other car in a populated parking lot and by the time you come out, there are several beat up cars parked all around you. :villagers:

:iagree:
Yea, usually, I count on those people with beat up cars being too lazy to walk that far.  But it never fails.
Rick, Manchester, NH
1970 SE 383 2V AT Challenger
1977 M882/W200 Power Wagon
2013 RT Plus 6M

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012 - 07:47:02 AM »
...about 30 years ago I was at a local show/cruise with my newly painted Daytona, a low mile perfect car...a lady decides to unload and sort the junk from her purse on the nose of my car...most of her junk looked harmless except her ring of keys...I politely asked her to NOT use my car as a desk, and I picked up her keys carefully and handed them to her...she scowled and tossed them BACK on the car...I carefully picked them up again and threw them over the roof of the diner and into the little river behind it...she looked stunned, cussed me, got her crap off of my car and left...never saw her again
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012 - 07:49:38 AM by DAYTONA »

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012 - 08:12:01 AM »
I carefully picked them up again and threw them over the roof of the diner and into the little river behind it...

I LONG for the day that I'm able to do something like this...  :)
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012 - 08:14:08 AM »
 :roflsmiley:

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012 - 08:23:24 AM »
reminds me of 2 times i had those feelings get the better of me.

1) Got food from burher king drive through, burger was knarl mashed and had ketchup all over the buns. I asked for a better prepared burger. 2nd burger was worse It went flying through the kitchen area of the B-king.

2)  while cordoning off a grenade in Iraq a pesky Iraqi kid kept kicking his soccer ball into the cordon and running in there to get it even after being told not to do so several times.  I promptly kicked the soccer ball full boot at him from 20ft away it hit his forehead and almost knocked him on his ass!! Everyone was laughing , that kid will be the next Bin ladin.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012 - 08:51:40 AM by GranCuda1970 »

Offline purple1

• Worlds first e-body trailer. Member since 3/10/05
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012 - 08:33:58 AM »
Years ago I had a 71 Charger. This thing had door dings all along both sides so I didn't really care about one more. But anyway I was in a local store parking lot and this lady pulls up in what was a newer Camero and just swings her door right open. Bamb! Then she noticed I was in the car with all the windows down. No apology, nothing, in fact she gave me this real nasty, dirty look. So I waited till she was in the store, reached over to the passenger side and opened my door onto her car nice and hard. Lets just say it was alot more than a door ding the Charger door left in her thin Camero door sheet metal. The payback felt sweet.  :misbehaving:

I would have just let it go if she would have just said sorry or not gave me that nasty look.

Dave

Worlds first e-body trailer.    Severna Park, Maryland