Author Topic: Timing problem....maybe.  (Read 723 times)

Offline kylewhunt1

Timing problem....maybe.
« on: August 13, 2012 - 08:20:02 PM »
Okay, here is one for the audience.  Heres some quick specifics: 383, MSD everything for ignition (8545 dist, 6a box, wires, coil). Heres the problem. When I set the timing at 10*, the car runs like crap under acceleration with full throttle. I back off the accelerator about 50% and it takes off like nothing was wrong. I readjust the timing and set it way past the timing tab (i would guess about 20-25*) and it runs better but still stumbles at higher rpm's. I dont know what the cam is but its not radical, fairly smooth idle. I rotated the crank around to zero and made sure the button is on #1. I have an EZ EFI system on it so i have taken it to rich and lean with no improvement. I called FAST and went through a diagnoses with them and the fuel injection is operating correctly so I am ruling it out. Any intelligent thoughts?

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Timing problem....maybe.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012 - 08:52:09 PM »
the obvious is that at WOT the EFI is not reading Throttle position correctly or not sensing vacuum drop to 1" or so & not adding enough fuel or the fuel system is lacking or the ijectors are too small . But the EFI is working so . ... it seems like the advance curve is too long , you need to shorten the curve using the largest bushing to limit the advance I forget how short you can make it but say you can get to 18* curve & you want to set timing at idle @ 18 so you have total timing of 36*

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t