Author Topic: Temperature  (Read 2683 times)

Offline WVUFELLA

• (OO/---------\OO) closest i could for a 72
Temperature
« on: August 17, 2012 - 10:45:03 AM »
I was wondering about where your cars run at in regard to temp.... mine seems to run in the middle to upper half...it use to be fine when under 50 mph and would climb higher on the interstate... at the nats i was told by an indivual that if it is heating up on the interstate that i had to much timing.... So i dropped the timing from 14 back to 12 .. it seems to start easier and the pinging went away... but does the picture seem like the temp is high or is this the nature of a 440 with some mods??? i have a two core radiator...and have thinking about abotu gettin one of those champiion three core radiators.... In my brothers 440 truck his temp gauge stays at the bottom of the gauge... also when your cars are hot does the starter stuggle to turn them over?>??? ideas are always appreciated.....

Offline Jeffs 70 RT

Re: Temperature
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012 - 11:25:54 AM »
Hello! Those stock gauges aren't very accurate to begin with. So, you really need a good aftermarket to really know for sure. But, looking at your markings, it really isn't too hot I'd say. I have a large Mark7 rad and it never gets over 200 even in crawling traffic. Cruising at the Nat's this year it never got over 195. Even 210-220 deg isn't hot in my opinion.  Too much timing will make it hard to start also.  Take care!  Jeff

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012 - 11:29:24 AM »
Nikki is a little lower than that with the stock 383 2 core rad. Granted HEMI not 440.  I did ad a pusher fan that I can run on really hot days or high traffic/slow moving situations. I wouldn't think your running hot  :dunno: if your gauge is accurate...
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012 - 12:03:54 PM »
mine runs in the lower 1/3 of the middle section , if it heats up on the highway the fan may be blocking air flow through the rad do you have a clutch fan ? I would recommend one . the rad could also just be too small to keep it cool .

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline todd383

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012 - 06:38:46 PM »
Just use the stock radiator and have a 4 row core installed, it will never over heat, my 383 has 496 hp, 26" rad, with a 4 row core, and it could sit in traffic all day at 195.  in the hot summer!!  My friend also, with a built 470" 568 hp, has a 22" rad. and a 4 row also,  runs at 200 degrees, but no higher, we both have a 7 blade fan with  a fan clutch, and shroud, hope this helps.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012 - 06:46:16 PM »
Do you have a 22" or 26" radiator?

This kind of overheating is usually due to an air flow problem.

To digress, I did have a Pontiac with the same problem. It would only overheat at speed. It turned out the radiator was full of crud(rust). And no... I wasn't the original owner.    :pullinghair:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012 - 07:18:40 PM »
Two row seems small for highway driving.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012 - 09:53:02 PM »
Actually 2 is just fine on the hwy. Heavy city traffic is usually the issue for NIKKI  :bigsmile:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline dodge freak 2

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012 - 07:55:00 PM »
Actually 2 is just fine on the hwy. Heavy city traffic is usually the issue for NIKKI  :bigsmile:

Depends how how much power the engine is cranking out. Driving 80 mph takes much more power then going 60 mph and with a few WOT blast the engine needs a good clean radiator. I run a two core since it was the only type with a lifetime warranty at my local auto shop. I'm on the 3rd rad now in 17 years, lol. Does just fine but I use a electric fan in front and a mechanical in back. Airflow is a biggie but if the rad is clog then it needs a re core / new rad.

I did have an old rad once 25 years ago, in stop and go traffic it was fine, same with 55 mph but 70 mph and above it overheated after 30 to 90 mins. Had to pull off and spray the rad down with a hose at a gas station. Heck today you be lucky to find a water spout at a gas station let alone a hose hook up to it     

Offline msbaugh

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012 - 09:25:20 PM »
Get a heat gun from a home depot or an auto store and see where it's at.  Then you can be sure that it's reading correctly.  I wouldn't depend on any of these old gauges unless you're positive they're working properly

Offline PlumCraZRT

• My Challenger's Crappy Website
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012 - 05:59:42 PM »
Get a heat gun from a home depot or an auto store and see where it's at.  Then you can be sure that it's reading correctly.  I wouldn't depend on any of these old gauges unless you're positive they're working properly

I wouldn't depend on a heat gun unless it's be calibrated to the emissivity of the surface your reading.
mmmmm.... Mopar.... *drool*