Hotchkis UCA heim joint failure

Author Topic: Hotchkis UCA heim joint failure  (Read 15526 times)

Offline 72bluNblu

Re: Hotchkis UCA heim joint failure
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2012 - 11:32:57 PM »
Just a little update.  :biggrin:

Was contacted by Drew in sales at Hotchkis. Hotchkis is going to be sending me new rod ends and boots to replace my current parts. So, props to Dan and Drew at Hotchkis for taking care of things!  :2thumbs:

Of course, my QA1 rod ends also arrived today. They'll be going back to Summit though, at least for now I'd like to stick with Hotchkis' parts. Interested to see the new boots too. I'm beginning to think along the lines of something just got wedged into that heim and carved out the groove in the ball like Dan suggested, maybe just complete dumb luck coupled with the lack of any kind of seal/boot. Keeps the whole project stalled for a bit while I wait for the new parts, but I think that's the best plan at the moment.

Anyway, just wanted to keep everyone updated!

Offline Dan@Hotchkis

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2012 - 11:56:53 PM »
Just a little update.  :biggrin:

Was contacted by Drew in sales at Hotchkis. Hotchkis is going to be sending me new rod ends and boots to replace my current parts. So, props to Dan and Drew at Hotchkis for taking care of things!  :2thumbs:

Of course, my QA1 rod ends also arrived today. They'll be going back to Summit though, at least for now I'd like to stick with Hotchkis' parts. Interested to see the new boots too. I'm beginning to think along the lines of something just got wedged into that heim and carved out the groove in the ball like Dan suggested, maybe just complete dumb luck coupled with the lack of any kind of seal/boot. Keeps the whole project stalled for a bit while I wait for the new parts, but I think that's the best plan at the moment.

Anyway, just wanted to keep everyone updated!

Glad to hear Drew was able to help you out.  We use Aurora for most of our rod ends, and they are hands down the BEST on the market.  A lot of people ask why the Hotchkis units are priced so high, its because everything we use is made in the USA and quality and longevity is paramount.  If you need any help let me know via PM, e-mail or phone.

Offline MizzouRT

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2012 - 12:33:20 AM »
...while these parts are a wear and replace item, they typically last much longer and don't wear as yours did.  The biggest thing to take away is to make sure that everything is good at ride height, because when the components bind they will wear prematurely.

How many street driven miles would you normally expect before the joints need to be replaced?    (Street driven miles includes plenty of potholes and occasional wet pavement conditions.)  Thanks for any info you might have.
Daily Driver: 2013 Challenger SRT 6 speed
Toy: 1970 Challenger

Offline Dan@Hotchkis

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2012 - 10:15:00 AM »
How many street driven miles would you normally expect before the joints need to be replaced?    (Street driven miles includes plenty of potholes and occasional wet pavement conditions.)  Thanks for any info you might have.

On my last set of Auroras I had an Upper control arm one and and steering end link one that had started to wear our, so I replaced every heim in the system.  I ran no rubber caps total mileage was a kiss over 16,000.  I installed all those ones in April of 2010 and swapped them out in November of 2011.  Those heims had:
-2 Mopars at the Strip Autocrosses (~700 runs)
--Driven 700 miles round trip each time from San Diego
-6 Good Guys Auto Crosses (~15 runs each show, plus the editors shootout; 18 complete strangers driving my car  :walkaway: )
--Car driven to most of these events; 300-900 miles round trip)
-Spectre 341 Hillclimb
--Driven round trip ~1500 miles
-2 American Street Car Series Events
-And the car was my Daily driver while we were doing R&D and most of these events; 80 miles a day commute in SoCal

Offline mellowguy

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2012 - 03:07:45 PM »
Good job, Dan & Drew on the customer service. It was mentioned about heim boots. Will you be putting these on your future sold upper control arms and your strut rods also? Or have them available to sell?

Offline Dan@Hotchkis

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2012 - 04:36:55 PM »
Good job, Dan & Drew on the customer service. It was mentioned about heim boots. Will you be putting these on your future sold upper control arms and your strut rods also? Or have them available to sell?

We have that stuff available,  just not listed.  Call our sales guys and they can help you out.

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2012 - 04:40:47 AM »
 :bananasmi  :woo: another happy customer and proff that sometimes you gotta get the right service guy involved.

Thanks Dan for saving the day and welcome to cc.com
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2012 - 11:28:35 PM »
New rod ends, misalignment spacers and boots arrived today.  :grinyes:

Boots are COMPLETELY different than the Seals-It seals, they're actual BOOTS that will encompass the ENTIRE head of the rod end. Should work great, only thing I can say negative about them might be that they will make inspecting the rod ends difficult. But I think they will do an excellent job of keeping all the crud out.

Unfortunately, I'm slammed at work all week, so its not likely the install will happen this weekend or week to come. But again, big props to Dan and Drew at Hotchkis for taking care of this.

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2012 - 07:52:45 AM »
Great they took care of you quickly!
Is this the boots you have?
http://www.sealsit.com/rodendboots.asp
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline cudazappa

Hotchkis UCA heim joint failure
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2012 - 07:55:50 AM »
Looks like those boots are on my winter shopping list.
1971 Challenger - AutoX project
2015 Dart GT - Daily Driver

Offline jordan

• no replacement for displacement
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2012 - 10:39:54 AM »
I am following this thread with interest since I have the control arms, just not installed yet.  I called to Hotchkis and asked for the boots, and they sent them at no cost!!  I installed the boot on the rearward joint easily.  The joint with the relocation bracket was much harder.  I cannot stretch the boot over the welded nut on the inside of the bracket, once the boot was over the heim.  I ended up cutting off just a little bit of rubber to let it fit over the nut since the boot wouldn't fit with the spacers in place.  I hope I didn't compromise the boot much.  Did anybody else have to do this too?
"Don't brake until you see God!"

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2012 - 01:29:37 PM »
Great they took care of you quickly!
Is this the boots you have?
http://www.sealsit.com/rodendboots.asp

Yep, those are the boots.  :grinyes:

I am following this thread with interest since I have the control arms, just not installed yet.  I called to Hotchkis and asked for the boots, and they sent them at no cost!!  I installed the boot on the rearward joint easily.  The joint with the relocation bracket was much harder.  I cannot stretch the boot over the welded nut on the inside of the bracket, once the boot was over the heim.  I ended up cutting off just a little bit of rubber to let it fit over the nut since the boot wouldn't fit with the spacers in place.  I hope I didn't compromise the boot much.  Did anybody else have to do this too?

Haven't installed mine yet, but I'll let you know if I have to do anything to the forward boot. I can see how that might be harder to get right, not a lot of room in that relocation bracket.

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2012 - 12:12:24 AM »
I have the Hotchkiss setup. Dissapointed with the clicking sound that appeared in only about 400kms (yes Dan they are aligned properly) but really impressed with the handling difference. May work on CNC setup to make "rod ends" that take the stock bushings. This will solve all the handling and longevity issues. Gotta work on that.
Question to Hotchkiss - why didn't you design the UCA arms with the stock bushings like FF do. you have the caster bracket which is superior but placed a weak link in your design. At $800 you could have done it.
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline Dan@Hotchkis

« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2012 - 09:57:14 AM »
I have the Hotchkiss setup. Dissapointed with the clicking sound that appeared in only about 400kms (yes Dan they are aligned properly) but really impressed with the handling difference. May work on CNC setup to make "rod ends" that take the stock bushings. This will solve all the handling and longevity issues. Gotta work on that.
Question to Hotchkiss - why didn't you design the UCA arms with the stock bushings like FF do. you have the caster bracket which is superior but placed a weak link in your design. At $800 you could have done it.

With the stock style bushings the control arm would have to follow the same path as the stock one, or else binding would occur.

Offline _Russ_

• Not very family friendly!
  • Chk Chk Boom!
    • Show Me How To Live
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2012 - 10:15:48 PM »
New rod ends, misalignment spacers and boots arrived today.  :grinyes:

Boots are COMPLETELY different than the Seals-It seals, they're actual BOOTS that will encompass the ENTIRE head of the rod end. Should work great, only thing I can say negative about them might be that they will make inspecting the rod ends difficult. But I think they will do an excellent job of keeping all the crud out.

Unfortunately, I'm slammed at work all week, so its not likely the install will happen this weekend or week to come. But again, big props to Dan and Drew at Hotchkis for taking care of this.

How's the progress going? Interested to hear how it all came together.

Have the Hotchkis TVS sitting in my Summit cart, cursor hovering over the submit button.