Author Topic: Original, Original Looking or Modified??  (Read 4348 times)

Offline Road_Runner

• Mopar Owner & Standard Bearer Since 1974
Original, Original Looking or Modified??
« on: August 23, 2012 - 04:20:05 PM »
So I have this 73 318/904 Barracuda that I bought with the intention of turning into a street terror.  But the longer I've had it the more I can appreciate it for what it is, what it has stayed for 40 years now.  Its a high option Barracuda with factory rallye hood, side stripes, AC, PS, PB, Cruise rare mist green color, but the downsides are that its 'only' a 318 2 bbl car.  I have my Roadrunner for 1/4 mile stuff so this car was always going to be about over the road, around corners, etc.  It was basically a one owner female owned car all its life, with the 2nd owner only owning it one year before he sold it to me, and he did zero to it while he had it.  So am I misguided considering this car worth preserving?  I know once I go away from stock its going to be "Katy bar the door!" and I won't stop until the entire driveline is replaced, etc. etc.  Some minor 'tweaks' I was considering is swapping to 72 bumpers & bumper guards from the big rubber blocks, and putting on a LD4B 4 bbl intake & carter carb but painting everything so it would still appear stock.  So what would you do in my place? Just trying to decide once & for all as I'm about to get busy on this car and don't want to change my mind mid-project.

Later, Jim
1970 383 Roadrunner Tor Red
1973 318 Barracuda Mist Green
2014 Mustang GT/CS Convertible All Black

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
Re: Original, Original Looking or Modified??
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012 - 04:26:35 PM »
well... my car was a high option Cuda.  ...but  no original engine, rear, fendertag or buildsheet.   There were a ton of original parts missing so I decided to build it how I like it.
If it was all original ,even with a 318, I sure I would have kept it as stock as possible.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012 - 04:28:14 PM by dutch »
*** Bart ***

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012 - 04:52:57 PM »
Tough choice.

Even a numbers matching 318 car won't have much value on the market. I can understand wanting to keep it as original, but you only live once. If you don't plan to resell it, do it your way.   :2cents:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012 - 04:55:36 PM »
 :iagree:

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012 - 05:03:09 PM »
It all boils down to what you want out of the car when it's done.  Will you be happy with a stock 318 2-barrel car that you can cruise in?  Will you wish it had more power every time you drive it?  Only you can answer that question.

I really like the FAST Racing Series.  Stock appearing cars that are anything but stock.  I think that would be a fun car to build.  Put the original drivetrain under the bench and throw a big cubed small block under the hood.  Modify the original air cleaner so it can be bolted to a 4-barrel.  Keep the 73 big bumper guards but remove the heavy reinforcements behind the front and rear bumpers.  Run dual exhaust but don't put the Cuda rear valance/tips on the car.  Have the exhaust exit under the valance. :2cents: 
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012 - 05:07:48 PM by burdar »

Offline HP_Cuda

• Hit the skinny little pedal on the right!
  • Sr. Resident
  • Mopar or No Car!
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012 - 05:31:59 PM »

Build it the way you want, that's what I did.

:bigsmile:
1970 Cuda Clone 440 4 speed - sublime green
1970 Cuda 383 4 speed - yellow - SOLD

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012 - 05:36:42 PM »
Since you have a 1/4 mile car already in the road runner I`d leave it more stock looking.Keeping the stock look witht the mist green color you`d have something more unique than a Hemicuda.I had a `74 road runner with the 318 2 bll/904 and with a nice dual exhaust it was an OK performer and made a real nice cruiser.If I had kept it I would have added a four barrell intake and a Holley 600.If that isn`t enough store the 318 and add a nice 340/360 or stroker small block but keep the stock.If you go any further than that you may as well go all out.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline willhaven

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012 - 06:47:17 PM »
If you enjoy it as it is, leave it as it is. It's only original once.

There's no shame in a 318 car. At least then you have the option to choose a sensible daily driver or a beast with the Roadrunner.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012 - 07:34:49 PM »
I have that dilemma with my car as well since it's very close to original the way it is, my engine hasn't even been taken apart yet. 

Yeah, I would like to have a little more power and would love to have a black resto mod Challenger, but being that it's more or less very stock, it's sort of a mixed blessing/curse.  Also, I don't have the $$$ and time to spend to do all those mods at the moment.

The route I'm taking is just with bolt ons, going old school look with Keystone Klassics with fat rear tires, Factory Go-Wing and I have an extra hood with a hole in it for a Mr. Gasket Street Scoop just to change the personality a little.  Staying with the stock drivetrain.

The good thing is that you have at least a V8 to get the V8 rumble.  Like others have said, see what it'll please you most.  Keep in mind that sometimes, but not always, a more stock vehicle may require less maintenence and be a more headache free car to cruise in since you already have a fast car anyhows. 

Maybe like burdar said, change the carb to a 4 barrel, add some nice rims and maybe a hockey stick stripe to make a look a little more sporty, and add dual exhaust or even AAR style exhaust and hood.
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Sleepychallenger

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012 - 08:57:31 PM »
I say keep it original....looking. For the most part a small block looks like a small block. Build it up but have that factory appearance.  :2cents:

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012 - 09:03:15 PM »

:iagree:   but making her look close to origional mopar brand.

Offline Road_Runner

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012 - 09:16:31 PM »
well... my car was a high option Cuda.  ...but  no original engine, rear, fendertag or buildsheet.   There were a ton of original parts missing so I decided to build it how I like it.
If it was all original ,even with a 318, I sure I would have kept it as stock as possible.

So that's what has me thinking stock or at the very least stock looking.  I get a lot of appreciation for how original it looks from folks at the gas station, customers & technicians at the tire store, the owner of the AC shop I took it to.  Makes you almost have to rethink throwing that away for that Hotrod look. 

Thanks, Jim

Offline Road_Runner

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012 - 09:22:22 PM »
Tough choice.

Even a numbers matching 318 car won't have much value on the market. I can understand wanting to keep it as original, but you only live once. If you don't plan to resell it, do it your way.   :2cents:

Tough choice exactly.  I'm definitely not going to be selling it, but with two old Mopars and two grown kids the math works to pass down one to each of them.  My wife tells me its my car do what I want to with it, and I keep telling her its not that what other people think is more important to me than what I want its the fact that I appreciate the car for what it is now.  Though its not the car I would have ordered in 1973; that would have been a 340 4 speed Cuda for sure.  Of course I am asking all of you here what you think, but that's because if anyone would understand my quandry you all would.

Later, Jim

Offline Road_Runner

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012 - 09:27:30 PM »
It all boils down to what you want out of the car when it's done.  Will you be happy with a stock 318 2-barrel car that you can cruise in?  Will you wish it had more power every time you drive it?  Only you can answer that question.

I really like the FAST Racing Series.  Stock appearing cars that are anything but stock.  I think that would be a fun car to build.  Put the original drivetrain under the bench and throw a big cubed small block under the hood.  Modify the original air cleaner so it can be bolted to a 4-barrel.  Keep the 73 big bumper guards but remove the heavy reinforcements behind the front and rear bumpers.  Run dual exhaust but don't put the Cuda rear valance/tips on the car.  Have the exhaust exit under the valance. :2cents:

I am bothered by stock Hondas that are quicker to be sure.  You mentioned the FAST cars, that's exactly what I'm thinking when I say stock appearing.  I've considered either stroking the 318 or dropping a built or stroked 340 into it but leave all the stock valve covers, etc. to make it appear that its just your run-of-the-mill 318 still in it.  The only thing I would consider is swapping in an original 4 speed setup that I already have, but that's not going to match the fender tag any more.  I like this approach and other than the 4 speed its all still easily reversible.

Thanks, Jim

Offline Road_Runner

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012 - 09:31:45 PM »

Yeah, if it was only that easy!  Trouble is I'm not sure which way I do want it anymore.  If I had tore it apart right after I got it I would have never looked back, but its kind of grown on me since I bought it.  I always name my cars, but I haven't named the Barracuda yet.  If I leave it stock I've considerd fungus or gangrene because of its green color and the fact it grows on you!

Thanks, Jim