Original, Original Looking or Modified??

Author Topic: Original, Original Looking or Modified??  (Read 4354 times)

Offline Road_Runner

• Mopar Owner & Standard Bearer Since 1974
Re: Original, Original Looking or Modified??
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012 - 09:36:08 PM »
Since you have a 1/4 mile car already in the road runner I`d leave it more stock looking.Keeping the stock look witht the mist green color you`d have something more unique than a Hemicuda.I had a `74 road runner with the 318 2 bll/904 and with a nice dual exhaust it was an OK performer and made a real nice cruiser.If I had kept it I would have added a four barrell intake and a Holley 600.If that isn`t enough store the 318 and add a nice 340/360 or stroker small block but keep the stock.If you go any further than that you may as well go all out.

I had a 73 Road Runner with the same engine/trans combo & dual exhaust that I drove back in college.  Great car effortlessly rolling down the road, got 2 speeding tickets in it!  Even if I keep the Barracuda 'stock' I'm going to hide a 4 bbl and maybe some other internal changes: cam, pistons, etc. later on. 

Thanks, Jim
1970 383 Roadrunner Tor Red
1973 318 Barracuda Mist Green
2014 Mustang GT/CS Convertible All Black

Offline Road_Runner

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2012 - 09:38:48 PM »
If you enjoy it as it is, leave it as it is. It's only original once.

There's no shame in a 318 car. At least then you have the option to choose a sensible daily driver or a beast with the Roadrunner.

Your last sentence says exactly what I've begun to think about all of this.  I especially like Beast to describe the Roadrunner, that's exactly my plans for the Bird!

Later, Jim

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2012 - 09:42:55 PM »
You could keep the 318 -n- build up a 340 but keep the 318 on the side.  340  :drool: :drool: :droolingbounce: :ylsuper:

Offline Road_Runner

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2012 - 09:47:58 PM »
I have that dilemma with my car as well since it's very close to original the way it is, my engine hasn't even been taken apart yet. 

Yeah, I would like to have a little more power and would love to have a black resto mod Challenger, but being that it's more or less very stock, it's sort of a mixed blessing/curse.  Also, I don't have the $$$ and time to spend to do all those mods at the moment.

The route I'm taking is just with bolt ons, going old school look with Keystone Klassics with fat rear tires, Factory Go-Wing and I have an extra hood with a hole in it for a Mr. Gasket Street Scoop just to change the personality a little.  Staying with the stock drivetrain.

The good thing is that you have at least a V8 to get the V8 rumble.  Like others have said, see what it'll please you most.  Keep in mind that sometimes, but not always, a more stock vehicle may require less maintenence and be a more headache free car to cruise in since you already have a fast car anyhows. 

Maybe like burdar said, change the carb to a 4 barrel, add some nice rims and maybe a hockey stick stripe to make a look a little more sporty, and add dual exhaust or even AAR style exhaust and hood.

Your comment about a relatively stock car being easier to maintain isn't one of my main criteria since I have a truck I use for daily transportation, but it couldn't be more true.  My son took a perfectly good running Audi TT and turned it into a 750 HP piece of yard art.  EVERYTHING he did to take it away from stock came back to bite him.  Of course he couldn't take it to any of the normal car shops to get it worked on and all the 'cool' performance shops just ripped him off.  He sank $15K into the performance upgrades and ended up selling it for half that much just to get rid of it. 

Later, Jim

Offline Road_Runner

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2012 - 09:51:24 PM »
I say keep it original....looking. For the most part a small block looks like a small block. Build it up but have that factory appearance.  :2cents:

That's the way I'm strongly leaning.  Of course that means (at least to me) iron exhaust manifolds, stock aircleaner, etc.  So even a built up 318 or 340 is going to be somewhat constrained by the exhaust, but that's OK I guess.

Thanks, Jim

Offline Road_Runner

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2012 - 10:07:37 PM »
You could keep the 318 -n- build up a 340 but keep the 318 on the side.  340  :drool: :drool: :droolingbounce: :ylsuper:

I like the idea of the 340 myself.  I picked up a 73 340 block, heads & intake when the plan was to 'go for it' performance-wise.  If I stay with the stock look though, I'd also stay with original 340 air cleaner & exhaust manifolds which would limit the 340's performance somewhat.  The only other option is what they're calling 'Day 2' restorations which include changes people made back in the 70's.  That's actually the look I'm going for on the Roadrunner, but not caring whether any of the drivetrain is original: stroked 440 (was a 383), 4/5 speed (was auto), 4.10 B Body Dana (was 8.75).  So I could do something similar with the Barracuda which could include headers and even an original 4 speed if I wanted to go that route.  The thing with me is that the Roadrunner already had mags, chrome aircleaner, Hooker headers, etc. when I bought it in 1974.  So for me, hopped up is the way it came back then.  That's the only way I've known the car.

Later, Jim

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2012 - 10:13:36 PM »
Sounds like a great plan to me..and I had a 318 in my barracuda almost went the 340 route. They are stout high revers and outperform the 318 in every way. I wanted a 340 duster just to feel it launch that light car around all day.

Offline VTMopar

• '70 Challenger Convertible, '74 Challenger Rallye,
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2012 - 10:18:08 PM »
I've had a similar "delimma" over the past several years with my '74 Challenger Rallye, also with all the options and only 45,000 miles.    Ultimately, I "restored" her and strived to maintain her originality ( yes even retaining the ugly 5 mph bumpers, which cost a mint to re-chrome).   After 6 years, she looks as good as she did coming off the assembly line and I appreciate her for what she is..... an incredible '74 Challenger that looks and acts new.....  and drives great!     Luckily, like you, I have another toy to play with (a '70 Challenger) and that I've "cloned up" to a 6 pack for fun....    However,  I still love the originality of the '74 and to me it is special -- because of its originality.   Ultimately - what you do with your '73 is up to you and there really isn't a right or wrong answer...... but perhaps a little more time might give you perspective.   Good luck!   :)   
VT MOPAR

Offline Road_Runner

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2012 - 10:21:32 PM »
Sounds like a great plan to me..and I had a 318 in my barracuda almost went the 340 route. They are stout high revers and outperform the 318 in every way. I wanted a 340 duster just to feel it launch that light car around all day.

Yeah, my first street race was with a 340 Duster.  I outran it, but not before it made me sweat a little.  I couldn't believe how a 340 car could run so close to my 383 Roadrunner.  I've respected that motor ever since.

Offline Road_Runner

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2012 - 10:36:29 PM »
I've had a similar "delimma" over the past several years with my '74 Challenger Rallye, also with all the options and only 45,000 miles.    Ultimately, I "restored" her and strived to maintain her originality ( yes even retaining the ugly 5 mph bumpers, which cost a mint to re-chrome).   After 6 years, she looks as good as she did coming off the assembly line and I appreciate her for what she is..... an incredible '74 Challenger that looks and acts new.....  and drives great!     Luckily, like you, I have another toy to play with (a '70 Challenger) and that I've "cloned up" to a 6 pack for fun....    However,  I still love the originality of the '74 and to me it is special -- because of its originality.   Ultimately - what you do with your '73 is up to you and there really isn't a right or wrong answer...... but perhaps a little more time might give you perspective.   Good luck!   :)

Sounds like I'm exactly where you were a while back.  It helps to know someone who went the stock route for the same reasons I'm considering it and is happy 6 years later.

Thanks, Jim

Offline RAMMAN

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2012 - 11:52:00 PM »
It would be a shame to change anything on an original car that couldn’t be changed back. So keep everything you take off and save it. I love the way my stock ’70 340 Challenger drives and looks and I’m not planning on any modifications.
I’m lucky enough to own a ZO6 also, that’s my road race car/ ricer killer.
 :cheers:

1970 Challenger A66 Four Speed
2004 Corvette ZO6 Commemorative Edition
1999 Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4
2005 Lexus GX470

Denver, Co

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2012 - 03:50:06 AM »
If you enjoy it as it is, leave it as it is. It's only original once.

There's no shame in a 318 car. At least then you have the option to choose a sensible daily driver or a beast with the Roadrunner.

:iagree:  but it is ultimately your choice.
-Larry
member since AUG 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrWiLgDm7Y

southeastern michigan usa

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

:grinyes: *click my E-Body* :grinyes:

Offline Road_Runner

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2012 - 10:38:18 AM »
It would be a shame to change anything on an original car that couldn’t be changed back. So keep everything you take off and save it. I love the way my stock ’70 340 Challenger drives and looks and I’m not planning on any modifications.
I’m lucky enough to own a ZO6 also, that’s my road race car/ ricer killer.
 :cheers:
I had an 03 Vette I wish I had kept.   A z06 is definitely on my short list if I add one more car.  At some point I am going to sell of some of the extra parts I have been moving from house to house over the years so that makes me even more hesitant to swap out too much of the driveline-  its a lot easier to store and move the smaller stuff.

Later, Jim

Offline Road_Runner

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2012 - 10:43:39 AM »
:iagree:  but it is ultimately your choice.

Your car was one of the reasons for me to start reconsidering my plans to hotrod the Barracuda.  Your car looks right just the way it is.

Thanks, Jim

Offline EB3-GranCoupe

• BP23 U0B
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2012 - 12:41:02 PM »
If it were me, i would be torn to keep it a survivor (yes, the are only original once).  Even 318's are getting plenty of attention strictly because they haven't been molested!  OR my other choice would be to go the 340 route, but keep the stock appearance (and keep the 318 stored).  there are plenty of bolt-ons that will get you better handling, that can always be reversed.  good luck!!