Author Topic: valve cover breather question  (Read 773 times)

Offline 351c4v71

valve cover breather question
« on: August 31, 2012 - 01:52:39 PM »
I have a 3 line breather on my 71 440-6pack.
Is this "correct". I'm including a picture, the 2 lines circled in red don't lead anywhere.
The small one at the bottom used to bring raw fuel into my valve cover , thus engine, and....what a mess. So it's now disconnected and has a small air vent on it. fuel was aspirated in the valve cover by vacuum I'm told.
Took 2 garages and 5 visits for someone to find that one out!!!
Anyways, I'd like to have the correct connections here.
I'm no expert so keep it simple please. Also, a simple diagram of all the lines coming from the gas tank to all the places they go would be great if anyone has one handy or can draw one out.
Thanks

Offline mrwfp

Re: valve cover breather question
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012 - 10:46:59 AM »
Here is how my '70 is done.  The large hose at the back goes to the nipple on the passenger side, back of the carburetor base plate.   The medium sized one in the middle goes to the center carburetor and the small one in the front is capped off.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012 - 05:26:59 PM by mrwfp »

Offline challenger_affair

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012 - 03:20:13 AM »
I have a 70 383 with the same breather.  The small one connects to a fuel tank vent.  The middle to a bowl vent in the carb.  The large to the air cleaner, which provides air to circulate through the crankcase to the pcv at the other end. 
1970 Challenger 383 RT Auto Plum Crazy

Offline mrwfp

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012 - 03:56:51 PM »
My throttle cable broke at the gas pedal end so I had to remove the shaker and base plate to replace it.  While everything is off, here's another pic of the vacuum outlet that the middle sized hose connects to on the middle carb.

Offline 351c4v71

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012 - 03:44:33 PM »
And what is "correct" for a 1971 440-6  ?
My car is originally a 318 so I have no idea what is the right set-up.