Author Topic: I need this...  (Read 1981 times)

Offline 7071 challenger

• All you need is Dodge!
I need this...
« on: September 04, 2012 - 08:06:28 PM »
Not really shure what it is called, some kind of vent, I guess. It goes in the trunk of my 71 Challenger on the extension floor on the passenger side. Underneath, it has 5 small pipes and four of them goes to the gas tank. I believe those from 'Cudas are the same. I know that 1970 models don't have those. Not shure about 72-73-74.  As you can see, mine is in bad shape. I'm looking for a good one.

Offline FY1Cuda

Re: I need this...
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012 - 11:07:27 PM »
That thing is part of the ECS (evaporation control system) that was a smog control mandate for California cars and maybe cars for other states.  They were in the '70 and '71 California E-bodies.  I'm guessing that all the LA built cars came with them.  To answer you question, they're probably not reproduced, but I'm sure someone on this site has removed one from their car, so there might be some sitting around collecting dust.  If you can, edit the title of your post so people will see you need an ECS tube.

Offline calicuda70

• 2 evil 70's and 1 BAD 11
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012 - 01:54:25 AM »
ive got one pm me and we"ll talk
70 'Cuda 5.7 Hemi protouring resto
70 Challenger 360
11 Challenger SRT8 392

Offline 7071 challenger

• All you need is Dodge!
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012 - 09:50:24 AM »
Thanks for the info, FY1Cuda. My car was built in Hamtrack, was sold new in Tulsa,Oklahoma and spend the rest of its life in Georgia,(until early 2012), and is now in Canada. I thought all 1971 had that, but you may be right.  CaliCuda70, pm sent

Thanks guys!

Robert

Offline 1970A66D21

• Livin in Vegas
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012 - 08:49:56 PM »
My car is an LA built 340 car without the ECS.It was originally sold in the Seattle area.It has a vent tube running through the floor pan into the rear frame rail.I am guessing this was stock.

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012 - 08:58:39 PM »
My car (1970 Challenger)has one ( just replaced the rubber hoses today) bought my car out of CA.
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline cuda346pk

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012 - 10:43:43 PM »
Since I reckon were may be trying to figure out which cars came with them. My 72 Cuda, Hamtrack car, originally sold in Mass. Has the hole with a plate and gasket covering it. Based on the finish on the bottom of the plate compared to the surrounding metals undercoating I assume it was done from the factory this way.  :dunno: but there is my  :2cents:
David - In Georgia

1972 'Cuda In-Violet 340 6 Pack 4 Speed 3.91 Sure Grip - Finally, after 27 years of waiting and dreaming it is real. Now the fun begins!

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012 - 07:33:28 AM »
Since I reckon were may be trying to figure out which cars came with them. My 72 Cuda, Hamtrack car, originally sold in Mass. Has the hole with a plate and gasket covering it. Based on the finish on the bottom of the plate compared to the surrounding metals undercoating I assume it was done from the factory this way.  :dunno: but there is my  :2cents:

I belive you either got that tube thing with the 5 lines coming out the bottom or this in it's place.
http://www.rosevillemoparts.com/product_info.php/fuel-systems/steel-lines-supply-return-hoses-filters-and-hardware/p/1970-74-e-body-fuel-vapor-line-bulkhead/cPath/194_199/products_id/7300
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline cuda346pk

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012 - 03:16:39 PM »
I belive you either got that tube thing with the 5 lines coming out the bottom or this in it's place.
http://www.rosevillemoparts.com/product_info.php/fuel-systems/steel-lines-supply-return-hoses-filters-and-hardware/p/1970-74-e-body-fuel-vapor-line-bulkhead/cPath/194_199/products_id/7300

No just a blank plate with some type of foam gasket. I will take a pic later tonight.
David - In Georgia

1972 'Cuda In-Violet 340 6 Pack 4 Speed 3.91 Sure Grip - Finally, after 27 years of waiting and dreaming it is real. Now the fun begins!

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012 - 05:19:52 PM »
No just a blank plate with some type of foam gasket. I will take a pic later tonight.

A vent line is supposed to come up through it?
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline cuda346pk

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012 - 06:11:52 PM »
A vent line is supposed to come up through it?

That's what I thought too. What about the other 3 hose, I think, that is somewhere above the tank? Seems like I had this discussion with someone else on here who had nothing in his 72, not even the hole for it. I suppose their trunk extensions could have been replaced. I do have a line from the tank that goes up to engine compartment and is just there. I assume it went to a charcoal canister originally. I will pull out my service manual and see what it shows. 
David - In Georgia

Offline cuda346pk

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012 - 08:40:33 PM »
ok after looking at the diagram in the service manual what Ii was referring to above with the 3 hose vent, it is the same thing we are talking about here. According to the diagram the large tube coming through the trunk floor extension is the vapor liquid separator an in 72 they added the charcoal canister and line from vapor separator to it which has the overfill valve in it. Now I have to get under the car and look at what they have done. This might explain why I get such bad gas fumes when I park the car in the garage. Of course I know it is heating up and evaporating fuel from the bowls. I was already thinking about a charcoal canister to try to control those fumes.
David - In Georgia

Offline cuda346pk

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012 - 09:10:21 PM »
My car has a different style of separator on it. Located in front of and above the fuel tank just behind rear end. Rectangular, about 6" long, 1 1/2" square with 4 hoses from tank into the bottom and one vent out the top that runs with the fuel line to the engine compartment. Maybe they switched to this style mid year 72? Of course my manual says the fuel filler tube is on right rear quarter panel and mine is under the tag in back. The diagram shows the filler neck at the rear but says quarter panel and the vent lines come off the passenger side of top of tank where mine come out top front of tank? Do I have maybe a mismatch of parts there? Attached is a pic of the separator on mine.
David - In Georgia