Author Topic: Lift off hood?  (Read 1181 times)

Offline RCCDrew

Lift off hood?
« on: September 12, 2012 - 12:52:54 AM »
I have a rallye hood on my car now but want an aar hood. I'm considering a lift off hood. Anyone have any experience with these? Any suggestions? My car is a street legal cruiser.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Lift off hood?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012 - 08:44:22 AM »
the AAR hood is designed as a hinged hood you just need lighter springs , to pin it down you would need to make rear hood pin brackets & it will be a pain to lift it off all the time & then where do you put it , on the ground people will walk on it on the roof of the car will scratch the roof unless you have a vinyl roof

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 1970 RT Challenger 1970

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012 - 03:40:27 PM »
4 Helium Balloons, one on each hood corner, for lift off!

Offline RCCDrew

Lift off hood?
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012 - 07:44:31 PM »
the AAR hood is designed as a hinged hood you just need lighter springs , to pin it down you would need to make rear hood pin brackets & it will be a pain to lift it off all the time & then where do you put it , on the ground people will walk on it on the roof of the car will scratch the roof unless you have a vinyl roof
I thought about that. I would probably delete the hood springs and use a prop rod if going with a regular aar hood to keep it from bowing. I don't go to many car shows.

Offline RCCDrew

Lift off hood?
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012 - 07:45:38 PM »
The aar hood I'm considering is specifically designed as a lightweight liftoff hood.

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012 - 11:35:00 PM »
The aar hood I'm considering is specifically designed as a lightweight liftoff hood.

If that's true it won't have any provisions to bolt it to the hinges. Otherwise I would say pull the hood springs and bolt it to the hinges and just use front pins and a prop rod. Keep in mind you won't be able to use a hood latch either.