Author Topic: In P and can't start...sometimes.  (Read 642 times)

Offline jforest1

In P and can't start...sometimes.
« on: October 04, 2012 - 10:30:47 AM »
So just got tranny back from transmission shop and the direct drive issue is resolved.

However, my car did die twice today and when I throw it in Park to crank it no start.  My 7 year old son taught me long ago (he was 4 at the time) that I need to make sure it's in Park before starting it.  Well, it's been a little touchy there--Slapstik has to be just right to get it to shift. 

Is there a linkage or something that I can play with to avoid this?

JF
'73 Cuda 340 Slapstick, A727 Torqueflite Transmission, Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS 1806, Vintage Air Gen IV A/C system

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
Re: In P and can't start...sometimes.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012 - 10:42:39 AM »
The linkage is adjustable.  Before you try to adjust anything, look for worn parts.  Adjustment won't do anything if you have worn parts.  Look at the plastic bushing in the pivot rod that comes through the floor.  My bushing was ovaled AND the rod was worn too.   

If you don't find any worn parts, you can adjust the linkage.  With the shifter all the way forward, the arm on the trans needs to be all the way to the rear.   Loosen the bolt on the adjuster and (with the shifter all the way forward) push the trans lever all the way back and tighten the bolt.

If it still acts up, try puting the lever in neutral and see if it starts then.

Offline jforest1

Re: In P and can't start...sometimes.
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012 - 03:33:59 PM »
Sure enough, bushings were worn.  Fixed now.  Thanks!

JF
'73 Cuda 340 Slapstick, A727 Torqueflite Transmission, Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS 1806, Vintage Air Gen IV A/C system