Author Topic: Can someone ID my big block bellhousing (pic)  (Read 825 times)

Offline KillerBee

Can someone ID my big block bellhousing (pic)
« on: October 08, 2012 - 11:53:14 AM »
Trying to figure out the correct torque shaft (Z-bar) for my 440 Sixpack 1971 Challenger.

I need to determine what size my big block bellhousing is without pulling the tranny back out to check the part number.

It is steel (magnetic) and I'm 99% sure it's an 11"?

I was told if it has the ridge near the top like mine it's an 11"

Can anyone tell by the picture?

Thanks.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2012 - 01:07:18 PM by KillerBee »

Offline blknout

Re: Can someone ID my big block bellhousing (pic)
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012 - 05:29:13 PM »
 It looks like a 11 inch bellhousing. The only way to tell for sure is by part number. I used a stock challenger z bar for my 11 inch bellhousing you just have to get the linkage that goes to the fork for 11 inch. It has a slight bend in the part.
1973 dodge challenger 440 4 speed 391 posi
2001 dodge ram 1500 4x4 offroad sport

Offline KillerBee

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012 - 07:54:49 PM »
Per Brewers website
There are 2 different torque shafts (z-bars) for E-bodies.

The difference is the distance of the bottom offset arm to the end of the tube, one is 3/4"(stock big block size) the other is 1 1/4" (stock small block size).

This is where it gets confusing, the stock big block E-body torque shaft (3/4" distance) is used with the factory 10.5 bellhousing and a "straight" clutch adjusting rod.

If you are using the 11" bellhousing(or a Lakewood scatter shield) then you use the torque shaft from the small block which has the bottom arm 1 1/4" in which is 1/2" more inward to clear the wider 11" bellhousing...then you use the "angled" clutch rod.

Clear as mud.

Just got in from working on the clunker.

I was having trouble with the clutch fork coming off one of the clips on the throwout when I push the clutch pedal in and out multiple times.
Thankfully I have years of stashed 4 speed parts so I had both torque shafts and clutch adjusting rods.

So far with the small block torque shaft (1 1/4" in) and the angled clutch rod along with twisting the throwout clips tighter the clutch fork is playing nice and staying on the throwout bearing.

Pictured below is the inspection cover off my bellhousing...does it look like a 11" one to anyone?

I need to double check the pivot for the fork.

Below is the correct new pivot from Brewers, at the bottom is my current one.... I sure hope they are the same as swapping them out with everything currently installed would suck.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2012 - 08:10:39 PM by KillerBee »

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012 - 08:20:19 PM »
The Iron belhousings were used up to 69 &have a 143 tooth flywheel with 11" disc

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline KillerBee

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012 - 08:27:21 PM »
The Iron belhousings were used up to 69 &have a 143 tooth flywheel with 11" disc

So should I assume if the bellhousing is iron it must be an 11"?

Offline blknout

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012 - 08:40:02 PM »
if its popping off the throwout bearing the pivot is wrong. i had the same problem when i did my 4 speed swap
1973 dodge challenger 440 4 speed 391 posi
2001 dodge ram 1500 4x4 offroad sport

Offline KillerBee

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012 - 09:04:56 PM »
if its popping off the throwout bearing the pivot is wrong. i had the same problem when i did my 4 speed swap

After doing some tweeking the fork seems to be staying where it belongs.

I sent an email with pics to Brewers of my pivot.
It sure looks like like the correct one.

Intersting that I swapped a 440 and Hemi 4 speed in my 73 Challenger(original 4 speed car) and I didn't even bother to check torque shafts, pivots or anything else and never had a problem.
Car ran 11's and shifted perfectly. :dunno:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012 - 09:07:32 PM by KillerBee »