Author Topic: Spacesaver Tire Hold Down Assembly  (Read 1331 times)

Offline cv70chall

• 1970 Challenger
Spacesaver Tire Hold Down Assembly
« on: October 10, 2012 - 04:34:51 PM »
I'm getting close to doing some of the smaller cosmetic stuff and want to know exactly how the hold-down assembly for the spacesaver tire goes in.
Is there a welded piece of metal that the hold-down bar hooks to?
Does anyone have a stock photo of this with the tire removed so I can see how this all goes together?
Thanks!

Offline shawge

• Zoiks!!
Re: Spacesaver Tire Hold Down Assembly
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012 - 05:13:50 PM »
Don't have a stock image but do have an engineering drawing:

Haven't seen a pic of assembly without the tire on top but I'll keep an eye out for one.

- Jerry

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012 - 07:24:45 PM »
the confusing part of that drawing is the hook. Its shown either on top with a full size spare, or under the spare, which is where it goes with the space saver. On top goes the jack base (upside down) and the clamp with the air bottle, and the big wingnut holding it all down. There were apparently several different lengths of the bolt, depending on the tire type, year, etc.
The slot on the bottom labeled "M" is where the bolt is connected and is available from several vendors and ebay and can easily be welded into place if you dont have one.

Heres mine:

« Last Edit: October 11, 2012 - 07:27:31 PM by tommyg29 »
72 Roadrunner 400-4 Auto-3.23 Gear-Black Cruiser
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)
12 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop Package-3.6L-8 Sp-Leather-Nav (the wife's)

Multiple SRT's, Rams, Dakotas, Caravans and Neons

...the lines on the road just look like dots!....

Offline cv70chall

• 1970 Challenger
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012 - 02:33:24 PM »
Thanks for the great photos! Do you have any idea where I might be able to get my hands on the nut and bolt that holds the "J" style tie down bolt to the bracket that gets welded to the floor?
How about a used jack hook?
-hopefully I'm not asking too much.  :eek7:

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012 - 10:12:29 PM »
I found my jack parts on ebay. Just search different combinations of challenger jack spare tire, etc etc. Took me weeks of looking, lurking and bidding before I put it all together.
Got to do your research before though because there are so many different types of jacks, and if you are into originality you absolutely MUST research because otherwise you will not get the type parts you need. Some of the hooks, bolts and other metal parts are repopped
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)

Offline cv70chall

• 1970 Challenger
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012 - 04:30:01 PM »
Thanks for the tip- I'll definitely keep checking.
My car is not going to be completely original, so if there's a way I can use a nut/bolt that is the same size, I would be fine with that!
Can you possibly tell me the size of your bolt for the hold-down?
I'm going to use the spacesaver spare and bottle combo like in your photo.

Thanks for the help!

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012 - 06:26:07 PM »
Im not sure of the size but if youre just going to use any bolt, maybe about 3/8" would be close?
And as for length you will just have to measure using your existing tire and tools to figure it out. Probably about 10-12" long, threaded at least 1" or so on the one end, and maybe an eyebolt hole on the other end.