Author Topic: Changing rear gear - DIY?  (Read 802 times)

Offline Glennster

Changing rear gear - DIY?
« on: October 10, 2012 - 04:38:12 PM »
I've got a sweet Pig that was built by Dr. Dif with a 3.23 gear on it. I want to put a 4.10 gear on it, do I dare try to do it myself?

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
Re: Changing rear gear - DIY?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012 - 05:48:15 PM »
My understanding is that setting the backlash and the like takes some specialized tools and is kinda beyond your weekend mechanic.

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012 - 06:00:53 PM »
My understanding is that setting the backlash and the like takes some specialized tools and is kinda beyond your weekend mechanic.

:iagree: Leave this one for a pro.
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012 - 06:17:29 PM »
 :iagree: x2

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012 - 07:16:50 PM »
 :iagree: x4

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline BS CUDA

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012 - 09:36:23 PM »
 I am a little biased as I run a gear shop - but I sell lots of gear sets to guys who think my install rate is outrageous and usually I hear "how hard can it be". Some of these folks are indeed succesful but a lot of the time the next phone call is "my differential is howling" or "your parts failed" etc  :bigsmile: Most fail to recognize that we have been doing this successfully for 35+ years and pay our techs good money for good reason. I am also one of those "how hard can it be guys" but I also understand that it could cost me extra in the end and sometimes it does  :banghead: I myself pay my techs to set up my differentials as I am just not qualified(partsman by trade not technician) just as I would pay somebody to build my engine.

Wow - I sure can ramble sometimes......................