Author Topic: Which Power Steering box  (Read 8329 times)

Offline 1970 440 RT's

• 1970 RT
Which Power Steering box
« on: October 11, 2012 - 03:53:47 PM »
Which Power Steering Box and Pitman arm would I use to convert my car to a 'POLICE UNIT' from either NAPA or any other store?

PLEASE LIST THE PART NUMBERS IF POSSIBLE!!!!

My car 1970 Dodge Challenger RT 440 4spd, w/Power steering

Please list PITMAN arm AND STEERING BOX part numbers if possible... and anything else I may need to know about the swap!

THANKS~~~~~~~~!

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
Re: Which Power Steering box
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012 - 07:19:55 PM »
Be aware that there are 2 sizes of steering boxes, large and small sector shaft. a 70 will have the small one.
Get in touch with Firm Feel! and get one of there boxes. I'd also recomend the fast ratio arms!
http://www.firmfeel.com/
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline 1970 440 RT's

• 1970 RT
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012 - 11:10:47 PM »
Well, I would try firm feel, but they are out of town, and 3x the price.  I like to buy locally in case I have a problem, so this is why I specifically asked about the police unit.  Also, acording to the two that Napa has, best I could tell, the one with the right pitman arm has a different pwr str hookups, and vice versa.  Also the 'fast ratio' Pitman will not work on a 440 with TTI headers.  This is why I specifically asked about the police unit and it's part numbers for MY car if someone knows. 

So if someone can SPECIFICALLY answer:  for a 440 1970 RT Challenger w/stock power steering:

Which power steering box AND pitman arm PART NUMBERS should I get to get the slightly firmer feel of the POLICE UNIT in my Challenger?  ....and are there any other pitfalls or things to be aware of?

Thanks!
(and thanks to the above poster for attempting to help!!!!! ...but I need the specific police one that NAPA has or whomever...)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012 - 01:13:04 AM by gt320 »

Offline mojavered

• Someday!
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012 - 12:40:33 AM »
Be aware that there are 2 sizes of steering boxes, large and small sector shaft. a 70 will have the small one.
Get in touch with Firm Feel! and get one of there boxes. I'd also recomend the fast ratio arms!
http://www.firmfeel.com/

Agree with the Brad.  I put one in and it is great.  But, since you are so adamant about Napa, pull your part and head down there.  Some of the guys down there still know their stuff when it comes to parts.  I am sure they cab help you out.     
Jason

Offline 1970 440 RT's

• 1970 RT
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012 - 01:11:22 AM »
Thanks again, Jason and Brad, beautiful cars by the way, and I have observed many of Brads posts along the way, and learned alot just on his car...

But, again, I don't have much luck going back and forth to stores or I would also do that...  It usually ends up in a run-around as most parts guys in my town have unfortunately never heard of a Challenger or Cuda.

So specifically if I already have the part numbers from someone who has done what I am asking, that is what I need, and that is why I am on Cuda-Challenger rather than just winging it.  Also others in my situation can benefit from this info.

So again, if anyone has the specific part numbers for the Police Unit steering box and idler arm to swap into a 70 challenger w/pwr steering and a 440 and has actually done this with satisfaction, please post.  ...can anybody tell I am really trying to keep this post on ONE track...lol   Thanks again !!!!!!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012 - 01:14:18 AM by gt320 »

Offline PlumCraZRT

• My Challenger's Crappy Website
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012 - 08:45:11 PM »
Thanks again, Jason and Brad, beautiful cars by the way, and I have observed many of Brads posts along the way, and learned alot just on his car...

But, again, I don't have much luck going back and forth to stores or I would also do that...  It usually ends up in a run-around as most parts guys in my town have unfortunately never heard of a Challenger or Cuda.

So specifically if I already have the part numbers from someone who has done what I am asking, that is what I need, and that is why I am on Cuda-Challenger rather than just winging it.  Also others in my situation can benefit from this info.

So again, if anyone has the specific part numbers for the Police Unit steering box and idler arm to swap into a 70 challenger w/pwr steering and a 440 and has actually done this with satisfaction, please post.  ...can anybody tell I am really trying to keep this post on ONE track...lol   Thanks again !!!!!!

This would be worth a read: http://www.firmfeel.com/img/MAarticle2012apr.pdf

Basically, it says they police units aren't around and/or aren't worth your time finding; get a Firm-Feel unit.

To add insult to injury, it looks like all the police units are large sector since they were designed/manufactured after 1973.  They will not be compatible with the stock pitman & idler arms.
mmmmm.... Mopar.... *drool*

Offline cudazappa

Which Power Steering box
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012 - 10:07:12 AM »
A parts store rebuild is going to be a parts store rebuild.  The only thing special about the police box is the heavier feel to it, the different reaction springs.  If you think that the offshore rebuilders are going to keep them, guess again.  The steering box will essentially be the same as a "correct" replacement.  Cop boxes are not fast ratio, there is only one ratio for all the power steering boxes.  And as stated earlier they have a larger sector so you will have to buy a new pitman arm.

Unfortunately for you the biggest change in handling comes from the long pitman/idler.  That is what Chrysler did to make the T/A and AAR cars with a "fast ratio". 

If you want the heavier steering you have two options.  Either make sure you go to the Saginaw style power steering pump and shim the pressure spring (also documented by mopar action) or spend the money and get a firm feel or steer and gear unit.  Firm Feel units are thoroughly rebuilt and are built by true mopar guys.  I went with their stage 3 on my Challenger and LOVE it.  I have no experience with steer and gear.
1971 Challenger - AutoX project
2015 Dart GT - Daily Driver

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012 - 10:23:45 AM »
I believe this is the article about shimming the pump:
http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/beep/PUMP_IT_DOWN-re-v1.4.pdf

Offline bandt

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012 - 02:12:02 PM »
I used  a reman. steering box from Partsource for my 72 Challenger it's a Cardone rebuild, I bought it with the pitman arm. I couldn't be happier with it, it is far firmer and it's dry. Sorry don't have a part number. I have had it installed for most of this season and it has been great.

Brian

Offline 1970 440 RT's

• 1970 RT
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012 - 04:55:39 PM »
Hi guys,

Thanks for the continued replies/alternatives.  Please keep them coming with as many part number details as possible!

I will post my final decision and results once I pick a direction.

Also, if there is some sort of decent sale on firm feel at some point, I might just swing that and be done with it... 

Thanks again!

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012 - 05:19:17 PM »
I have the stage 3 power steering box from Firm Feel. I love the feel! Way better that the slush bucket feel of a stock box?  It's hard to explain untill you have driven a car with it....?
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline LEMOOREACE

• I was a llama, but I have since evolved.
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013 - 06:53:28 PM »
I went with the FF stage 3 after reading many inputs online and I am very happy I did.  Thank you all!   :iagree: