Author Topic: Converting the fuel tank to EFI?  (Read 22721 times)

Offline moprr

Re: Converting the fuel tank to EFI?
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2013 - 04:41:35 PM »
With the fabricating skills that some of you have why would you not make your own tank from scratch?  Do they need to be certified? 

Offline cudagirl4406pk

• Yes i am a Girl and No you cant drive my CUDA
    • Garageartmusclecars
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2013 - 07:07:54 AM »
Well i  have the atomic efi on my cuda and i just ordered a custom tank from ricks hotrod tanks that has the baffles in it to keep the fuel from sloshing around.My orginal tank did ok but if i got low on fuel and you take a turn fast you could stall the car starving for fuel.Now my husband put the master kit on and i love it but the only thing was the fuel tank so the ricks hot rod tanks is stainless steel and comes with the straps and mounts in like the orginal one and has the fuel sender on the top instead of the side like the original.Now it is pricey at 850.00 but you get what you pay for and i  dont really hear my pump in the car only hear it at startup.

michele
Yes i am a girl and no you cant drive my MOPAR :)

Offline David Weber

• MAKING OLD NEW AGAIN AND NEW OLD
    • MODERN MUSCLE PERFORMANCE GROUP
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2013 - 04:49:24 AM »
The problem I see is if you weld in a fuel pump section into the new tank how do you keep it from rusting from the inside out.? Unless you coat the welds with something. I know even weld thru primer has it limitations when in contact with fuel. With ethanol in the fuel these days ,water in the fuel tank happens often.  A aluminum tank like the one from Hot Rod City Garage seem like a better solution . :2cents:

We make our own insert from galvenized metal and solder it in like a radiator. No corrosion problems.
Thank You
David Weber
Modern Muscle 276-666-1934
www.modernmuscleperformance.com

Offline JoeGrapes

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2013 - 05:03:53 PM »
I'm going to go the EFI route this spring. I've been researching the fuel pump thing to death just like everyone else. I'm really leaning toward the Edelbrock EFI fuel sump kit. Super simple install, right there under the hood so it's easy to get at if anything should go wrong and the cost is about the same as doing a good in-tank retrofit. I should be able to take the windshield washer fluid tank out, since I don't use it anyway, and put the sump in it's place.   

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2013 - 09:01:30 AM »
Joe,
That system is for a returnless efi system (you don't use a return line and regulator to relieve pressure)
So it'll work if you buy an EFI kit that uses PW (pulse width) to control the fuel pump pressure. The Edelbrock and the Fast ez-efi ver2 can use this because they use a pressure sensor and don't have to have a tank return line.

You'll love EFI once you finally pull the trigger on it.

Edelbrock sump: http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/misc/tech_center/install/3000/3605.pdf

My FAST EZ-EFI Ver1 install: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7urOreeK_A 
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline JoeGrapes

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2013 - 12:56:59 PM »
Good video Shelbey. Looks like you've been playing with fuel injection awhile. I'm sure it will make a world of difference. I know the Edelbrock is a returenless system. I'm looking at the systems from Holley, MSD, Edelbrock and Fast. The FAST tech guy said he didn't thing the Edelbrock pump would work with his system since they need a return line. I'm trying to decide between the Atomic and the E-Street. Both about the same price. The Atomic will control the timing and seems a little cleaner with less wiring. The E-Street control pad is nicer and the system is integrated with the fuel pump but it will not control timing. I'm not sure how important the timing control is since I don't really have an issue with my timing now and I'd have to either modify my distributor or buy a new one. I did have a MSD 6A unit on until it quit on me and I took it off and couldn't tell a difference either way. So I'm not keen and putting another one on. I've replaced a few fuel pumps on modern cars and know what a pain it is being in the tank. That's why I like the Edelbrock pump system. We all know that if it can fail it will!

Offline cudagirl4406pk

• Yes i am a Girl and No you cant drive my CUDA
    • Garageartmusclecars
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2013 - 06:57:45 AM »
Well i finally got my new gas tank went with a hotrod city garage tank instead of ricks hotrod tank alot cheaper and a really nice product.The msd system is great if your under 500hp you dont need a return line.I dont run one i am at 500hp.The msd works best witha  6al box also as i have one of them also hidden under the battery tray.The msd alot let hassle with wiring also i really like my kit the car runs amazing no more carb delay and it is tuning iteslf while i drive and runs at peak performance what else could you ask for.Hope this helps any questions send me a message joe.

michele
Yes i am a girl and no you cant drive my MOPAR :)

Offline JoeGrapes

« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2013 - 11:46:57 AM »
Thanks Michele, I will if I have any more questions. I'm pretty sure I'm going with the Atomic. I like that the installation looks a little cleaner than the other systems and the Atomic throttle body will look better with the type of air cleaner I use. Plus I might go the timing route in the near future so at least the Atomic will be ready. I know now that I'm not going with an in-line pump. I'm still leaning toward the Edelbrock sump system but an in-tank unit is not off the table yet.

Offline pilotusmc

« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2013 - 02:50:39 AM »
I used my  stock  tank and modified it ....found  a  tank from a  90's  Tarus and cut the top out and then cut top out of my stock challenger tank to match...used the Tarus sump inside and  a  walbro  hi pressure pump....a little welding and it worked  great

Used a  2001  Corvette fuel filter and my stock  fule line using AN fitting...again worked great.

Offline johns cuda shop

• 71 Cuda Pro-Touring Build
  • Machinist and Fabricator
    • Custom Machine Components
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2013 - 08:17:36 AM »
I used my  stock  tank and modified it ....found  a  tank from a  90's  Tarus and cut the top out and then cut top out of my stock challenger tank to match...used the Tarus sump inside and  a  walbro  hi pressure pump....a little welding and it worked  great

Used a  2001  Corvette fuel filter and my stock  fule line using AN fitting...again worked great.
Does the Ford Tarus tank fit under the e-body.? Can you post us some pictures ,we would love to see . :bigsmile:
71 Cuda Gen III Aluminum 426 Hemi T56 6 speed 4.10 8.75 Modified & Lowered RMS coilover suspension Wilwood discs

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2013 - 08:55:48 AM »
I'm pretty sure I'm going with the Atomic. I like that the installation looks a little cleaner than the other systems and the Atomic throttle body will look better with the type of air cleaner I use.

Joe,
After I worked on an '81 Chrysler Imperial with the fuel injection electronics all mounted inside the air cleaner and seeing all of the potting material all oozed out because of heat, I would stay away from anything that mounts it's electronics on top of the engine.  The Atomic and the BossEFI systems are 2 that mount their complete efi computer inside the throttle bodies.

I've dealt with electronics for years and know that the cooler you keep the components and solder connections, the longer they will last.

I can't imagine how hot the top of my 440 gets with the hood closed, when shutting it off after a long summer drive with the AC on.
My EFI ECUs ride inside the cabin with me.  The FAST system also comes with a lifetime warranty. I'm not sure if anyone else does that. It's your money so get what you want.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline ff6849

« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2013 - 04:32:26 PM »
cudagirl4406pk could you post pic's of your new fuel tank
(__________]]]]]}~~~~

73 440 Cuda'
915 heads (mild head work, stock bottom end 10/9:1 compression)
A518 2600-2800 Stall
4.10 rear gear
TTI headers with 3' exhaust with  X pipe 
comp XE274H cam
Hughes Roller Rockers
Holley Sniper EFI
Holley Street Dominator intake
MSD ignition

Offline johns cuda shop

• 71 Cuda Pro-Touring Build
  • Machinist and Fabricator
    • Custom Machine Components
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2013 - 06:08:48 PM »
cudagirl4406pk could you post pic's of your new fuel tank
This is the pictures of the Hot Rod City Gas tank , with the baffled Warbro pump
71 Cuda Gen III Aluminum 426 Hemi T56 6 speed 4.10 8.75 Modified & Lowered RMS coilover suspension Wilwood discs

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2013 - 07:40:39 PM »
nice looking tank! I wonder if they could make it bigger? I always found e-body fuel tanks too small?
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline JoeGrapes

« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2013 - 08:13:12 AM »
Thats a beautiful tank Michele. You do make some good points Shelby. I just got my new Summit catalog and they have all the systems in there.  I cant wait until spring to my car out of storage. Its going to be a long winter.