Converting the fuel tank to EFI?

Author Topic: Converting the fuel tank to EFI?  (Read 22719 times)

Offline moparmaster

Converting the fuel tank to EFI?
« on: October 22, 2012 - 10:58:10 PM »
Anybody take a look at the XV EFI tank and know what kind of holder they used for the electric fuel pump to fit into the stock tank?  What type of wiring is considered "fuel safe"?  Also, is there a difference between the Goodmark tanks and the cheaper ones on ebay or the ones Summit sells?  I have the MSD Atomic fuel injection kit and want to put the fuel pump in the tank.  Need help!

Offline calicuda70

• 2 evil 70's and 1 BAD 11
Re: Converting the fuel tank to EFI?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012 - 12:05:06 AM »
ive heard great things about the xv tank my dad just  got done installing his atomic evi in his 69 charger 318 alot of stuff they leave out of the kit or mention at all unfortunatly its not made for a mopar of course as i told that to the MSD REP who was preching about it so it cant be done in a weekend lol unless you have all the parts but still a great kit to use after 2 weeks the car finally started today good luck if you have any questions ill try and help ya out also theres a guy with hemi challenger i beleieve installing it now
70 'Cuda 5.7 Hemi protouring resto
70 Challenger 360
11 Challenger SRT8 392

Offline ajantics

• Yeah......Im a drummer!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012 - 01:32:46 AM »
I have not heard to many good things about the XV tank. I went with the tank from hot rod city garage and I LOVE IT!
http://hotrodcitygarage.com/mopartanks.html
70 Barracuda
73 'Cuda
2003 Dodge Ram 3/4ton
2009 G37s

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012 - 05:14:23 AM »
I used a kit from tanksinc.com and made my own with a new tank.
The XV kit requires a hole to be cut into the trunk for the lines to clear. Needing a flat serface to mount the ring I lowered mine so I didn't have to cut the floor.

Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline moparmaster

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012 - 10:55:14 PM »
The hot rod city tank seems like a good option since they will make the tank to specs and there seems to be some clearance issues with the other options.   I'll  give them a call and see if they can set it up for the msd provided pump.  Thanks for all the help!

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012 - 01:38:50 PM »
Here is another option I found while reasearching EFI for my car....?

http://www.ratdat.com/?p=168

Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012 - 10:14:23 PM »
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline Travis72

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012 - 01:15:58 AM »
You beat me to it Scott.  I was just about to post the same link!!!  :-)  That Aeromotive setup looks pretty sweet!

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline moparmaster

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012 - 04:18:31 PM »
Wish they had a part number and a price listed. 

Offline Modern Muscle

• Modern Muscle Performance Group
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012 - 05:15:59 PM »
Here is another option that we do and its ready to go no assembly required.

http://www.modernmuscleperformance.com/EFI_Conversion_Fuel_Tank_p/mm-fuelt.htm

Offline Rolling_Thunder

• only 2 things get my attention, gas and perfume
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012 - 01:37:54 AM »
I used a kit from tanksinc.com and made my own with a new tank.
The XV kit requires a hole to be cut into the trunk for the lines to clear. Needing a flat serface to mount the ring I lowered mine so I didn't have to cut the floor.

I did the same for my tank - but I am always looking to save $$$ where possible...     The fuel pump bracket from a 96-99 Mitsubishi Eclipse worked for me - was shallow and allowed me to "step down" the tank so no hold in the trunk floor was needed. Welded bolts from the bottom up as studs for the top plate and went from there...   then used a 255lph Walbro...   
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L / 6-speed

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / Auto

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L / 6-speed

1964 Dodge Polara - 440 8-71 / 4-speed

Offline JoeGrapes

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012 - 06:37:22 PM »
While doing research on efi I came across a Mopar Muscle magazine article about installing a six pack fuel injection setup on a 73 Barracuda. They just took the stock sending unit out of the tank and cut the filter end off and put on a electric fuel pump. They show how it was done with pictures. Looks pretty simple. No baffle so I wouldn't run the tank dry but I see no reason why I can't do what they did. Can anyone see any reason why not?

Offline jordan

• no replacement for displacement
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012 - 12:19:11 AM »
Hey JoeGrapes, can you post a link to that article?  I just did a little look and couldnt find it.  I have a six pack stroker that is getting put in this winter.  I just hung my vintage air system in the pass compartment prior to painting my engine compartment, and I am wanting to use the Bouchilian A/C compressor relocation bracket to where the mechanical fuel pump lives.  So..., I need a electric pump, and I want an in-tank pump to keep the noise down.  I am setting my car up as pro-touring and not drag racing, so the hidden quiet pump is a must for me.  If I can't get the right pump, then I will have to stick to the stock locations, but really want the clean hidden look for the A/C compressor.  Plus, I am a little worried that the compressor wont fit under my stock air cleaner.   Thanks   
"Don't brake until you see God!"

Offline JoeGrapes

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2012 - 07:24:26 PM »
Hi Jordan. Here is the link, http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/mopp_0811_mopar_electronic_fuel_injection_upgrade/viewall.html. If you do a google search and type in "six pack fuel injection" the Mopar Muscle magazine tech article is one of the first ones that come up. I'm going to go that route. I think I'm going to use the FAST EFI system. They have an in-tank fuel pump kit that you can buy separately or as part of the EZ-EFI kit. I may just buy the parts I need to do the retrofit, but I'll need to add up the cost of the parts to see if just getting the kit would be cheaper. 

Offline jordan

• no replacement for displacement
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012 - 12:12:15 AM »
Thanks Joe. 
     If I am using stock carbs that are slightly modified for my motor, do I need a return line?  Will I have to get a pressure regulator so I dont over pressurize the bowls?  Do intank fuel pumps come rated to different pressures or is that only from a separate pressure regulator?  I am trying to keep my build simple and stock appearing.  Has anybody used an in tank pump that works with stock carbs, and have a part number and brand?  I just want to replicate what is a known given, and not try to reinvent the wheel.   My only experience is with mechanical pumps so sorry for all the questions. Thanks all.   J
"Don't brake until you see God!"