Converting the fuel tank to EFI?

Author Topic: Converting the fuel tank to EFI?  (Read 22727 times)

Offline JoeGrapes

Re: Converting the fuel tank to EFI?
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012 - 10:46:37 AM »
Jordan, you dont need an in-tank efi fuel pump. Go look in a Sumitt cataloge they have a bunch of inline electric fuel pumps for carburators. That is what you need.

Offline jordan

• no replacement for displacement
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012 - 09:57:13 PM »
aren't the in line pumps loud?  I dont want the car to be sounding like a race car, just a street car.  I thought if the pump was in the tank it would be easier than mounting it up under the car, and it would be alot quieter.  Is there such a pump I am wishing for?
"Don't brake until you see God!"

Offline JoeGrapes

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2012 - 08:04:50 PM »
Are they loud? I'm trying to find that out myself. I want to install EFI and while an in-line pump would be easier to install I don't want to be sorry I went that route if I can hear a loud pump.

Offline BS CUDA

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012 - 08:50:56 PM »
Are they loud? I'm trying to find that out myself. I want to install EFI and while an in-line pump would be easier to install I don't want to be sorry I went that route if I can hear a loud pump.
Put it in the tank - it will also last longer as it runs cooler. My annoying whining inline billet Holley is likely going in the tank this spring.

Offline Rolling_Thunder

• only 2 things get my attention, gas and perfume
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2012 - 10:10:20 PM »
You dont NEED an in tank pump -  but they are much more quiet and a better overall system than a simple inline pump
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L / 6-speed

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / Auto

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L / 6-speed

1964 Dodge Polara - 440 8-71 / 4-speed

Offline moparmaster

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2012 - 05:48:11 PM »
I'm giving up on the in tank pump because it is such a hassle and too expensive.  The inline method is simple and cheap.  If you run a return line, it is still very reliable and there's no pickup modifications to be made.  I'm going to run a Hemi pickup with a return line built in.  If the pump fails, there's no need to drop the tank and open it up to change it out. 

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2013 - 01:23:54 PM »
I use external pumps on my cars, mounted to the frame inside the right rear tire. You can barely hear the pump at all. If it goes out, you take off the right rear and change it, then you are back on the road.  I just start looking for gas at 1/4 tank.  The pics of my modified pickup are in my pace car thread on page 9.
 http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.120

This is on my 71 with the Holley EFI
" class="bbc_img

" class="bbc_img

This one is on my 70 with the EZ-EFI

" class="bbc_img
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline David Weber

• MAKING OLD NEW AGAIN AND NEW OLD
    • MODERN MUSCLE PERFORMANCE GROUP
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2013 - 08:24:26 PM »
I used a kit from tanksinc.com and made my own with a new tank.
The XV kit requires a hole to be cut into the trunk for the lines to clear. Needing a flat serface to mount the ring I lowered mine so I didn't have to cut the floor.

We have built many fuel tanks with the EFI tanks kits and a drop down section like this. No complaints
Thank You
David Weber
Modern Muscle 276-666-1934
www.modernmuscleperformance.com

Offline johns cuda shop

• 71 Cuda Pro-Touring Build
  • Machinist and Fabricator
    • Custom Machine Components
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2013 - 01:33:18 PM »
The problem I see is if you weld in a fuel pump section into the new tank how do you keep it from rusting from the inside out.? Unless you coat the welds with something. I know even weld thru primer has it limitations when in contact with fuel. With ethanol in the fuel these days ,water in the fuel tank happens often.  A aluminum tank like the one from Hot Rod City Garage seem like a better solution . :2cents:
71 Cuda Gen III Aluminum 426 Hemi T56 6 speed 4.10 8.75 Modified & Lowered RMS coilover suspension Wilwood discs

Offline Haddixj

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2013 - 02:09:48 PM »
I wondered the same thing about rust proofing the fuel tank after welding on it. maybe send it out and get it re galv? I like the stock look

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2013 - 03:46:10 PM »
Yeah, I'd re-galvanize it.

Of course, I prefer just getting a stainless or aluminum tank.

http://themopardude.com/CUSTOM_GAS_TANKS.html
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013 - 03:52:52 PM by ragtopdodge »
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2013 - 09:42:43 PM »
The bike guys have been using this stuff for years

http://www.kreem.com/fueltankliner.html

It works pretty good to coat the inside of the tank and seal\ cover your welds.

Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline GreenFish

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2013 - 10:55:53 PM »
You beat me to it Scott.  I was just about to post the same link!!!  :-)  That Aeromotive setup looks pretty sweet!

Travis
72 Cuda

Agreed,, I'm sold on that aeromotive kit.  When I convert to EFI that's my route. Heck i may go ahead and get that kit now so my fuel system is taken care of.
70 cuda, 440, KB pistons, 10.5:1 compression, edlebrock heads,RacerBrown cam, 5-Speed Tremec, Megasquirt EFI

Offline 1970GranCoupeConvert

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2013 - 09:01:54 AM »
How much is the Aeromotive kit?  I heard it was near $540.00

I am currently running a Holley external pump and I am very unhappy with it. 

I installed it below the level of the fuel tank (as much as possible) however it still makes a bunch of noise.  Since it is sucking from the OEM in-tank fuel pickup tube that is installed in the stock position (front left corner) I run into problems when the gas tank is less than 1/4 full and I accelerate fast or take a hard left turn.  The fuel will slosh to one side and then the pump will suck air until the fuel sloshes back.  I have never driven up a steep hill but I have always wondered what would happen in this instance. 

The OEM tanks do not have baffles in them so the fuel just flows wherever it want to. 

In the carb days it was not that big of a deal since the float bowels had a reasonable amount of reservoir.

Now with Fuel Injection the pumps flow much more fuel than what is needed by the engine then the return fuel is dumped back into the collector tank where the pump is located from.  Also most aftermarket tanks have a small collector tank where the fuel pump is located but they also have some kind of baffle or spiral type of fuel trap so the pump does not un-port during  rough driving.

I am VERY UNHAPPY with the external electric pump so I am currently researching options.
1970 Plymouth Barracuda Gran Coupe Convertible
First Car (purchased in October 1985)
Drove it throughout high school and early college (still do)
Full Frame off (K frame off) Rotisserie Restoration completed in 1991
Originally (and still is) a Rally Red, Black top with Charcoal/Silver Interior
340 CID with Holley Pro-Jection 4Di
LA 727 GearVendor  Overdrive
390:1 8 3/4 Rear end
Rally Rims (color matched)

Offline johns cuda shop

• 71 Cuda Pro-Touring Build
  • Machinist and Fabricator
    • Custom Machine Components
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2013 - 03:06:06 PM »
How much is the Aeromotive kit?  I heard it was near $540.00

I am currently running a Holley external pump and I am very unhappy with it. 

I installed it below the level of the fuel tank (as much as possible) however it still makes a bunch of noise.  Since it is sucking from the OEM in-tank fuel pickup tube that is installed in the stock position (front left corner) I run into problems when the gas tank is less than 1/4 full and I accelerate fast or take a hard left turn.  The fuel will slosh to one side and then the pump will suck air until the fuel sloshes back.  I have never driven up a steep hill but I have always wondered what would happen in this instance. 

The OEM tanks do not have baffles in them so the fuel just flows wherever it want to. 

In the carb days it was not that big of a deal since the float bowels had a reasonable amount of reservoir.

Now with Fuel Injection the pumps flow much more fuel than what is needed by the engine then the return fuel is dumped back into the collector tank where the pump is located from.  Also most aftermarket tanks have a small collector tank where the fuel pump is located but they also have some kind of baffle or spiral type of fuel trap so the pump does not un-port during  rough driving.

I am VERY UNHAPPY with the external electric pump so I am currently researching options.
At that price for the pump and pick up ,when you add the price of a new tank your close to the cost of a Hot Rod City Aluminum tank with a pump
71 Cuda Gen III Aluminum 426 Hemi T56 6 speed 4.10 8.75 Modified & Lowered RMS coilover suspension Wilwood discs