Author Topic: greazy film on the inside of windows?  (Read 2735 times)

Offline Tonefiend

• ▬▬▬▬ ♫ ♠ ♫ ▬▬▬▬
  • '70 Challenger
    • Ian A. Guitars
greazy film on the inside of windows?
« on: November 21, 2012 - 04:28:04 PM »
I can't keep my windows clean.  I get this greasy film on the inside of my windows that automotive glass cleaner won't take care of.  I need to hit it with a colvent like naptha.  I would think it may be coming from the engine. The car does slightly smell like an old car does, but it will happen if I let the car sit for a few weeks.

the car is almost undriveable at night because of this.  I just cannot keep the windows clean.  Now if the car sits for a while with the windows closed there is a very strong old car smell.  The interior is 100% original with a replaced dash cap probably.  A year ago I used armor all cleaner <not the greasy stuff> to clean things up.

Anyone ever experience this?   I have to travel with naptha, windex and rags!

Offline jimynick

• Resident
Re: greazy film on the inside of windows?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012 - 04:50:37 PM »
You may be suffering from a leaky heater core. That will allow antifreeze laden water to evaporate on the windows, especially the windshield. You can check easily by pumping up the rad with  pressure tester and seeing if it leaks down. That might take a while, so be patient. Otherwise, stuff some toweling in the defrost vents and see if it reduces the effect. The only other thing would be a water leak into the car, but it'd have to be pretty constant. Good luck  :thumbsup:

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012 - 07:08:25 PM »
Try a vinegar/water solution & use old newspaper to clean it off. It will do good job removing the 'film'. It cleans windows better than windex. I had a large glass front window at my business & this is how I cleaned them.

Matt B.
Matt

Offline Tonefiend

• ▬▬▬▬ ♫ ♠ ♫ ▬▬▬▬
  • '70 Challenger
    • Ian A. Guitars
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012 - 08:24:02 PM »
That sounds completely reasonable but I don't have the heater core hooked up and the blower is disconnected.

Thanks for the tip on newspaper and vinegar.  I'll see if that gets rid of the squank or just smears it around like glass cleaner does.

I really think  it's just the old interior deteriorating. Maybe the seat foam.

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012 - 12:10:39 AM »
I have also had this problem with anti freeze leaks.

Fix the leak and the weird film goes away.

Does this happen on the side windows?
Or is it just the front?

I have had Armor all put a grease film on the windows but that will usually go away with two tries of window cleaner.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline LAA66

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012 - 09:59:43 AM »
 Possibly engine blow-by seeping into the cowl area? How's the hood seal? 

Offline Tonefiend

• ▬▬▬▬ ♫ ♠ ♫ ▬▬▬▬
  • '70 Challenger
    • Ian A. Guitars
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012 - 10:29:15 PM »
Hey guys thanks for the additional ideas.  It's been a while since my last post.   The hood seal is not good, and there are a few leaky spots in the firewall thanks to worn out grommets.  I do have a mysterious dissapearing coolant problem.  I guess I'll deal with it and expect it to resolve itself as I make progress in those areas.

Offline slsc98

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013 - 10:32:26 AM »
On really problematic interior glass, I've sometimes had to resort to isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol to really cut through crap on the inside, followed by the vinegar / water mix. I use the clean cuffs cut off old pairs of cotton socks with the alcohol, and then newspaper with the vin/water. (Now, newsprint paper can make a lot of very fine dust so, I do all this before I vacuum / Swiff / detail the interior. )

I know the absolute worst mistake we ever made was to use "Fog-X' on the inside of our car glass. What a disaster and we're STILL trying to get it off one or two of the vehicles, year later now!  Ugh!  (We ABSOLUTELY SWEAR BY RAIN-X for the outside glass surfaces but, we also learned the hard way, "Fog-X' really stands for "fog-your-windows-to-the-extreme"!  Hopefully you've never applied Fog-X or else, I say that is the problem. (?)

The previous posters have probably identified your underlying cause but, for what it is worth (or isn't) I particpated in an online discussion amongst some detailers some time ago about this very "recurring foggy windshield inside glass" and particularly cars where the phenomenon keeps recurring on just the windshield and/or front windows only. There was (is?) espoused a theory that there is "gassing" occurring from some of the materials now being used to fabricate dash pads and, there appears to be at least some anecdotal substantiation of this.

Like I said, the previous posters are much more knowledgeable than I (and have given me something to be on the watch for with my own car) but, I am curious: did you have the problem before the new dash pad was installed?

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013 - 01:18:15 PM »
It's weird with this windshield fog. I was fine until a few years back when a heater hose decided to make my cruise a little less enjoyable.   :stomp:

Even though I pulled over and fixed it promptly, I got a fog on my windshield for months afterward. As a side note, I have no working heater or defrost either, so that even has me more stumped.   :dunno:

I just wipe the windshield down with "Invisible Glass" when it gets annoying. 

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013 - 07:26:35 PM »
This is funny reading this.  Does it happen in every car that you drive? Maybe don't blame the cars..........  LOL..
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013 - 09:08:48 PM »
This is funny reading this.  Does it happen in every car that you drive? Maybe don't blame the cars..........  LOL..

:smilielol:  Poor Mike!
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013 - 01:39:24 PM »
Isopropyl alcohol is the main ingredient in Windex and washer solvent.
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline slsc98

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013 - 05:53:42 PM »
Quote from: 72cudamaan
Isopropyl alcohol is the main ingredient in Windex and washer solvent.

Roger that; and (to the OP) in the worst of cases, straight rubbing alcohol can wind up just "pushing around" the film. I got pretty exasperated the first time that occurred but, I soon learned that whaat it had done was truly "cut" through the film so that when I came back with the vinegar/water/newsprint it was actually lifted.

But again, all my experience is with 'secondary' causes, like nicotine, passenger cabin fires, etc.

I am hoping the cause of yours is not connected to any leak of ANY kind, especially not coolant related!