Author Topic: Turn signal flasher  (Read 3108 times)

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
Turn signal flasher
« on: November 27, 2012 - 10:44:49 AM »
I did a search and there are a lot of turn signal questions on here but didn't find what I was looking for.

Driving the car the other day, the turn signals worked fine when pulling up to a stop sign.  As soon as I stop, the signal starts blinking very slowly or stops blinking for a second...then starts blinking at normal speed.  They blink at normal speed at idle in park.  Is this just normal for these cars?  I know the alternators don't put out much at idle.

The flashers are most likely the original ones.  Is there an updated flasher that would help with this? 

SLOTTS emailed me back when I was restoring my dash assembly.  He said that I had my turn signal and hazard flashers mixed up.(one is round and one is square)  I looked back at my "before" pictures and they were in the same location so I left them there.  Would this be part of the problem?  If the hazard flasher were inplace of the turn signal flasher, I could see the turn signals blinking slow.  I would think the hazard lights would blink very fast though...they are not.

Offline usraptr

Re: Turn signal flasher
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012 - 10:56:08 AM »
Replace the flasher with a heavy duty flasher.  When you stop, you've got the brake lights on that pull juice away from the flasher.  Flasher is old or weak.
1970 Plymouth 'Cuda.  Matching numbers 440 U Code, 4 speed pistol grip, Rallye dash, AM 8 Track, Shaker hood, 15 inch rallye wheels, Dana 60 4.10, Super Track Pak.  One of 134 - 440 "U" coupes codes built in 1970 and one of 100 - 440 Super Track Paks built in 1970.

Restoration pictures at:  http://spanks4thememory.smugmug.com/Cars/70-Cuda/7240639_M24oi#465274575_2MBqW
(Edited 8-1-17)

"usraptr" = United States raptor - bird of prey = United States Bald Eagle.  FYI, somebody else thought of it first so I had to drop the "O" in raptor.

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012 - 11:42:47 AM »
 :iagree:

Start with replacing the flasher.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012 - 01:25:52 PM »
The flashers could interchange if needed but the hazard flasher is heavier because it carries
twice the load. A heavy duty 2 prong flasher (521hd) will probably fix your problem.
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012 - 01:31:59 PM »
Thanks for that number.  I'll pick one up and put it on my list of things to do in the spring.

Offline chaps70rt

• 70 Challenger R/T Hardtop in Progress (Canada)
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012 - 08:02:48 AM »
Which one is which?   Square and round ...... flasher and hazard that is??
White 1970 Challenger R/T
440 - 4BBL - Shaker
Daily Driver - 2014 Dodge RAM 1500
Stouffville, Ontario Canada

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012 - 01:35:36 AM »
Which one is which?   Square and round ...... flasher and hazard that is??

I believe the flasher is round.
-Larry
member since AUG 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrWiLgDm7Y

southeastern michigan usa

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

:grinyes: *click my E-Body* :grinyes: