Author Topic: Drag tire size for stock e body  (Read 2307 times)

Offline 440CudaDriver

Drag tire size for stock e body
« on: December 05, 2012 - 12:53:29 PM »
I'm looking to buy a set of cheater slicks for 15x8 wheels just for fun at the track. How big can I go for stock ebody? I run 255/60/15 on the street
1973 Challenger 340 Vanishing Point white
2014 Challenger RT Plus Orange

Offline HP2

• Resident
Re: Drag tire size for stock e body
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012 - 02:47:38 PM »
Do you want d.o.t. drag tires or slicks?

On an 8" rim, you can go 7-9 inch worth of tread width. Call it a 275/60 max on a street type d.o.t. tire, or a 28x9x15 dedicated race slick.

Offline KillerBee

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012 - 11:50:58 AM »
Rear ride height is a factor.

Here is a pair of ET Street DOT slicks size 28x12.50-15

Wheels are 15x8 with 4 1/2 backspacing

Good amount of room, could easily lower the car down on the tires with no rubbing.

Last pic are the same wheels and tires on another street/strip Challenger of mine on Super stock springs, tires hook real good.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012 - 04:17:19 PM by KillerBee »

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012 - 12:34:56 PM »
Nitto makes a real nice Dot drag radial , 275 50 15 , shorter than the 275 60 but the right width
 Check discount tire direct for them

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 440CudaDriver

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012 - 05:51:39 AM »
KillerBee,  Those look great.. What are the pros and cons of going with a Street or Track only slick?
Im also going for a old school look so I am thinking of going 15x8 chrysler steel wheels or Ansen Slots. Does the weight really make that much difference? I am not going to get too serious this coming season just want to run the track once a month or so for fun.See how my ebodys do 73 Cuda with 75 440- purple cam, stealth heads, eddy rpm, holley 770 TTI headers stock comp and 73 Challenger 340 Eddy heads, eddy rpm, comp cam, demon 625 tti heads, 10 - 1 comp. The only racing I've ever done is on the turnpike and some light to light stuff and I havent done that since I had a kid..
1973 Challenger 340 Vanishing Point white
2014 Challenger RT Plus Orange

Offline KillerBee

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012 - 10:01:21 AM »
KillerBee,  Those look great.. What are the pros and cons of going with a Street or Track only slick?
Im also going for a old school look so I am thinking of going 15x8 chrysler steel wheels or Ansen Slots. Does the weight really make that much difference? I am not going to get too serious this coming season just want to run the track once a month or so for fun.See how my ebodys do 73 Cuda with 75 440- purple cam, stealth heads, eddy rpm, holley 770 TTI headers stock comp and 73 Challenger 340 Eddy heads, eddy rpm, comp cam, demon 625 tti heads, 10 - 1 comp. The only racing I've ever done is on the turnpike and some light to light stuff and I havent done that since I had a kid..

These bias ply DOT slick/street tires hook very well at the track, much better than the drag radials which I've never had good luck hooking up with....
Obviously the aluminum wheels are going to be lighter than steel, which helps performance.

Just remember, if you have any weak links in your drivetrain, a hard launch on super sticky tires will find it.
I broke a stock 8 3/4 axle in my 440 six Pack powered 4 speed Challenger the first time at the track. :'(

These DOT slick type tires have very little tread when new and aren't meant for daily or long distance driving, especially if your going to be driving in the rain.
I've driven on them for 60 miles or so to cars shows and the drag strip and with the soft racing slick type sidewall the car feels "loose" in corners, especially at higher speeds.

I'm going to change the stance and look on my 71 R/T Challenger this spring to more of a classic musclecr look, insted of a street/strip car.
I bought a set of 4 15x8 "Old School" wheels from MB Wheels.
I'm going to lower it car a bit all the way around and go with regular RWL radial street tires but I have a set of sticky tires mounted on spare wheels in case I get the need for speed.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2012 - 10:24:40 AM by KillerBee »

Offline barracuda7199

• needs a resto but having to much fun right now
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012 - 04:37:33 PM »
i have these for sale they came off my cuda. http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=89203.0
Brandon

71 Barracuda 440 727                                                                 
(O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012 - 07:27:57 PM »
the Nitto drag radials have decent tread depth & pattern for rain unlike most & will last a while

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t