Author Topic: LCA Queries  (Read 2099 times)

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
LCA Queries
« on: December 08, 2012 - 03:59:29 PM »
SO, got the front end dissassembled and I have a few questions on the LCA.   :bigsmile:

How much play (side to side) should there be in the LCA pin / T-Bar mount.  I was surprised at how much play there was once I got the LCA off.

Any tips on removing the LBJs once the LCAs are off the car.  :stomp: :pullinghair:

Thanks,

Jason
74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline jimynick

• Resident
Re: LCA Queries
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012 - 05:27:15 PM »
Jason, don't the lbj's bolt to the spindle? Are you taking about the Morse taper section? Ian

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012 - 05:44:13 PM »
Jason, don't the lbj's bolt to the spindle? Are you taking about the Morse taper section? Ian

Yep...the taper section....its being a real pain!!!
74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline moparman82

• MOPAR or No car
  • Resident
  • Livin' the dream
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012 - 05:53:26 PM »
Don't forget, when you adjust the LCAs or the LBJs you should always fill put your TPS reports for the VP of the LCD HDTV SUV.
 :poopoke:
Scott in Omaha
Searching for the right 70 Cuda driver
1973 challenger in go-mango, on it's way to a 70 T/A clone SOLD
2015 crew cab Hemi ram SOLD
2019 Ram Laramie
2016 Tahoe LTZ SOLD
1976 Ramcharger 383 4spd SOLD
2016 Audi

24 mopars past and 2 present

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012 - 07:12:46 PM »
Don't forget, when you adjust the LCAs or the LBJs you should always fill put your TPS reports for the VP of the LCD HDTV SUV.
 :poopoke:

LOL....not a fan of acronyms i am guessing. :bigsmile:
74 'cuda 360/727

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012 - 07:20:05 PM »
Are you replacing the ball joints? If so  loosen the nut and get a big hammer ? Or a pickle fork if you have one? Pickle fork will destroy the seal though ( if your trying to reuse the ball joint?)
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012 - 08:09:11 PM »
Using a pickle fork to seperate ball joint/ tie rod ends / idler arms/ is easier when the part is still attached to the car because it works better  mounted to something solid.

Same thing when unscrewing upper ball joints.  They are ussally pretty tight and if you try to do it off the car you have to figure out some way to hold the arm without damaging it.

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires

Offline moparman82

• MOPAR or No car
  • Resident
  • Livin' the dream
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012 - 11:04:28 PM »
On the contrary!  I quite like them!  Your postade me think of Office Space (TPS reports) and Good Morning Vietnam! (seeing as how the former vp is such a VIP seems we should keep his 20 on the QT from the VC or he'll be MIA or a POW then we will all be SOL)
Scott in Omaha
Searching for the right 70 Cuda driver
1973 challenger in go-mango, on it's way to a 70 T/A clone SOLD
2015 crew cab Hemi ram SOLD
2019 Ram Laramie
2016 Tahoe LTZ SOLD
1976 Ramcharger 383 4spd SOLD
2016 Audi

24 mopars past and 2 present

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012 - 12:29:31 PM »
the pin should not move side to side in the bushing but the housing the bushing is in will move , it is triangulated by the caster strut

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline LAA66

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012 - 10:30:45 PM »
 The strut actually is holding the control arm in place fore and aft. The factory pivot pin and pressed rubber bushing setup do to a lesser extent, however if you use polyurethane the pin just rides on the bushing. 

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012 - 08:13:56 PM »
Are you replacing the ball joints? If so  loosen the nut and get a big hammer ? Or a pickle fork if you have one? Pickle fork will destroy the seal though ( if your trying to reuse the ball joint?)

Yep rplacing the LBJ and UBJ.

Tried a pickel fork and have whacked the hell out of both sides with my BFH...neither side will budge.
74 'cuda 360/727

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012 - 09:12:06 PM »
Yep rplacing the LBJ and UBJ.Try removing

Tried a pickel fork and have whacked the hell out of both sides with my BFH...neither side will budge.

Try taking the big nut off first!  :stirpot: :poopoke: ( sorry couldn't resist!  :naughty: )

How are you supporting the lca if it's off the car? Like do you have a block of hardwood under it or something so it doesn't bounce? Hope you don't need to resort to heat?
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012 - 10:39:17 PM »
Try taking the big nut off first!  :stirpot: :poopoke: ( sorry couldn't resist!  :naughty: )

How are you supporting the lca if it's off the car? Like do you have a block of hardwood under it or something so it doesn't bounce? Hope you don't need to resort to heat?

There is a nut that has to come off....kidding!!!

Well, I tried the pickle fork while the LCAs were on the car.   Did not work so I pulled them off just to make some progress.  I can always put them back on if I have to.

At this point I think I will pick up a two jaw puller and see if that will seperate the taper.  :dunno:

My guess is that the LBJs are origional to the car.

Jason

74 'cuda 360/727

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012 - 08:46:43 AM »
Try this trick an old friend taught me? Heat up the area around the taper on the LCA with a common propane torch, then with a cheap birthday candle  melt the wax around it trying to get it into the taper? 
I've used this before with rusty seized stuff and amazed how well it worked?  :o
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012 - 11:00:05 PM »
Jas, are you trying to salvage them? The bfh thing actually requires TWO bfh's with one being behind the bj housing while whacking it on the other side with the second bfh. If you've got the arns/bj off, you can bring them over to my garage where we have most of the available means of "persuation" available.  I'll pm you. Ian