New Design US Car Tool fender to cowl braces

Author Topic: New Design US Car Tool fender to cowl braces  (Read 29534 times)

Offline jordan

• no replacement for displacement
Re: New Design US Car Tool fender to cowl braces
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2013 - 10:07:48 PM »
I removed the XV tubular braces but left the inner fender to shock tower brace.  The US Cartool braces comes with the inner fender to shock tower brace, 2 pieces, plus another piece that covers the outer face of the shock tower brace.  One set for each side.  I just welded in the outer face plate and left the XV ones in place.  I also left the XV plate on the firewall.  I figured a little extra steel there wouldnt hurt anything.  I then trimmed the USCT to fit, and welded it in as their photo sequence shows on their website.  It took me about 8 hours to do, but half of my time was cutting out and cleaning up the XV bar removal. 
"Don't brake until you see God!"

Offline shawge

• Zoiks!!
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2013 - 12:49:44 AM »
Thanks Jordan, it's good to know this.  I've got the XV braces in already and have the USCT ones waiting in my garage.  I need all the space I can get for the tires.  I hate to cut out what's already there but it's got to be done.
- Jerry

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2013 - 03:20:55 PM »
Just got done repainting after installing the braces. Hope they're worth it.  :clapping:
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline jordan

« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2013 - 04:18:13 PM »
what is the best way to smooth out the inner fender under the hood hinges from the welding fall through?  Metal glaze, bondo, grinding, high build primer?  That will be my next step. 

Offline shawge

• Zoiks!!
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2013 - 05:21:58 PM »
I'm planning on minimal grinding to clean/smooth it out, epoxy, filler if needed, high build, and  then paint.
- Jerry

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2013 - 06:04:01 PM »
what is the best way to smooth out the inner fender under the hood hinges from the welding fall through?  Metal glaze, bondo, grinding, high build primer?  That will be my next step.

Yep,   :iagree:   what he said.
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline EB3-GranCoupe

• BP23 U0B
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2013 - 09:13:37 PM »
 :popcorn:

Offline David Weber

• MAKING OLD NEW AGAIN AND NEW OLD
    • MODERN MUSCLE PERFORMANCE GROUP
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2013 - 05:03:48 PM »
These look real nice and the guys at US Car Tool are great to deal with. These are a must for the guys using a Magnum force style coil over. (I still prefer the RMS front inner fenders were not meant to support car)
Thank You
David Weber
Modern Muscle 276-666-1934
www.modernmuscleperformance.com

Offline vilzrod

« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2013 - 02:57:53 AM »
I love this forum  my new ride is an ex slant six car with a k frame from a 440 car as what the previous owner tells me...  I gotta deal with the sway bar install using 30 washers  :nono: per side... with the stroker 493 motor in this car this would be a great add on from what I have read...anyone drive there car since the install?

Offline acguy

« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2013 - 11:42:18 PM »
We are putting this stuff together and its a rather poor fit. It would stand to reason that the brace would be welded to the shock tower reenforcing bracket, Its not even close. I am wondering if these are the right parts. looking at the various pictures I count three different plates for the shock tower. One has no hole, one has a small hole, and one has a large hole. I see on the pics of the purple challenger that is the same bracket as mine and its not even welded to the brace because it doesnt come together either. The pics on the website have the brace and bracket welded together as I believe it would have to be. What do you guys think?

Offline David Weber

• MAKING OLD NEW AGAIN AND NEW OLD
    • MODERN MUSCLE PERFORMANCE GROUP
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2013 - 12:06:47 AM »
Have not used a lot of their products but what I have seen is they get you close. I think the final install is going to require a little bending grinding etc. It looks like in the picture if you bend center piece out our grind it will allow it to drop down and fit tighter. Probably need to call before modifying their part. If you feel it is too much hand work to make right they would probably take back.

How is fit at firewall?
Thank You
David Weber
Modern Muscle 276-666-1934
www.modernmuscleperformance.com

Offline acguy

« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2013 - 03:12:29 PM »
Its good at the firewall. If we cut the metal to close that huge gap then it will be wrong at firewall. The gap is about a full inch at its worst so its not even remotly close. I am just going to add a piece of plate steel to fill the gap.

Offline jordan

« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2013 - 07:13:30 PM »
I had to grind down the ears on the bottom side where it touches the inner fender just behind the shock tower to get it to fit best.  Making the tab smaller decreases the gap between the brace and the inner fender.

Offline larry4406

« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2013 - 07:39:56 PM »
Hope to start this install next week. Do the braces interfere with '71 cuda fender gills? 

Edit - Did a mockup and there is more than encough clearance, so not an issue.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013 - 05:29:36 AM by larry4406 »

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2013 - 02:06:02 PM »
We are putting this stuff together and its a rather poor fit. It would stand to reason that the brace would be welded to the shock tower reenforcing bracket, Its not even close. I am wondering if these are the right parts. looking at the various pictures I count three different plates for the shock tower. One has no hole, one has a small hole, and one has a large hole. I see on the pics of the purple challenger that is the same bracket as mine and its not even welded to the brace because it doesnt come together either. The pics on the website have the brace and bracket welded together as I believe it would have to be. What do you guys think?

You could always add a couple of tabs from the upper brace to the inner fender support if you feel you need more strength in that area.
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...