New Design US Car Tool fender to cowl braces

Author Topic: New Design US Car Tool fender to cowl braces  (Read 29523 times)

Offline daveh

Re: New Design US Car Tool fender to cowl braces
« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2013 - 10:37:14 AM »
I actually fabricated new side braces out of scrap.  Had the ears come all the way to the top and make the complete turn and fit really well now and look like they belong.  I knew I was going to be massaging things and that's ok.  I really wanted the main support because it looked so stout.  Even that needs a little work as well but I'm ok with it all.  It's all part of the hobby right?  These cars were never built the same.  Thanks Chris   :)
Dave
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013 - 01:34:50 PM by daveh »

Offline ChrisUSCT

« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2013 - 10:26:14 PM »
Hey guys,

Sorry i don't get a lot of time to post on here, but thanks again for all the good input.

We just re-designed our E-Body Core support stiffener also. Here are a couple of pics.

And for anyone that has bought our stiffening kit in the past and has not installed the previous design core support (tube style) you can contact me and we can swap yours out with one of these new ones. My contact info is on our website under the about us section.

Thanks! Chris

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2013 - 04:25:34 AM »
Hey guys,

And for anyone that has bought our stiffening kit in the past and has not installed the previous design core support (tube style) you can contact me and we can swap yours out with one of these new ones. My contact info is on our website under the about us section.

Thanks! Chris

What a classy company and a great offer.
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline larry4406

« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2013 - 05:39:53 AM »
Chris - The radiator support brace looks nice. Couple of questions. Is the intent for it to overlay on top of the original support which remains in place (appears so in the pictures)?  Are the vertical slots in the center for the latch brace?  I think the original support accomodates AC condenser brackets; does this new one?  Lastly, what does the side profile look like and will an original radiator with bottom tank still work?

Offline ChrisUSCT

« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2013 - 11:48:16 AM »
Hi,

Yes our piece is meant to overlay the original, it has the vertical slots for the latch brace and also has a hole on the underside to accommodate the k-frame to core support bracket. Not aware of the holes that are needed to attach the a/c condenser. Our piece has the exact same profile as the original and fits the factory radiator with no interference at all. If you could either point me to those hole or have a picture, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2013 - 09:17:36 PM »
Since this is an overlay, the original holes for the condensor are still on the original lower radiator support.  Just mount the condensor as usual.
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline larry4406

« Reply #81 on: March 31, 2013 - 01:16:46 PM »
I have a similar fitment issue as Acguy does in that the brace does not mate with the shock tower reinforcement plates.  I have a 71 barracuda with NOS inner fenders purchased by me ~1987 at the dealer.  I am aware that there are different inner fender designs out there, so maybe that is the issue?

I have only started work on the passenger side.  The long brace on the bottom has an upward bend to it (as received) and I had to take that out (make flat) as well as take out the bend in the shock tower reinforcement plate.

Jordan's pictures show his brace to be welded on the underside to the shock tower brace which is obviously desired.  No way mine can do that.  Mine is currently tight to the inner fender on the top, along the cowl, and the inner fender. 

I guess I need to add a filler piece there and be done with it.

Offline ChrisUSCT

« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2013 - 10:00:48 PM »
Hi,

Larry it looks to me like the original shock tower reinforcement that goes from the firewall to the shock tower is missing the lip that the challenger that we have designed them off of has.

I included a pic of the area i am talking about.

In our design the inner fender brace is meant to attach to this piece. I will have to try and verify that this is a Cuda only issue, and if so we can make adjustments to allow for the difference.

Offline larry4406

« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2013 - 05:21:26 AM »
Chris - my factory brace on the barracuda is different than the challenger one you based the product on.  Below is another picture of the factory brace and a closeup of the fitment issue.

Open to suggestions.

Offline ChrisUSCT

« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2013 - 07:12:25 PM »
Hey Larry, i am in the process of coming up with a solution to this problem as we speak. If you are not in a hurry, and can hold off on welding the inner fender braces in place. I will have an answer for you in the next couple of days.

Thanks!
Chris

Offline larry4406

« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2013 - 05:27:05 AM »
Hey Larry, i am in the process of coming up with a solution to this problem as we speak. If you are not in a hurry, and can hold off on welding the inner fender braces in place. I will have an answer for you in the next couple of days.

Thanks!
Chris

Thanks Chris.  First opportunity for me to work on this will be the coming weekend.  I have a 72 Cuda and its factory braces are the same as the 71.

Offline daveh

« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2013 - 01:37:11 PM »
Chris, I'm adding in that filler piece as well.  I just think it will look better, like it was meant to be there if it blends into the shock tower plate.  I'm on the road until next week so I should be back on it then.  No big deal.  I also have it fitting around the cowl really nice also.  Worked on the metal a bit and contoured it around the cowl.  Fits much better.  Just need to finish the front before I weld anything in.   :)

Dave

Offline acguy

« Reply #87 on: April 04, 2013 - 12:59:36 AM »
Hi,

Larry it looks to me like the original shock tower reinforcement that goes from the firewall to the shock tower is missing the lip that the challenger that we have designed them off of has.

I included a pic of the area i am talking about.

In our design the inner fender brace is meant to attach to this piece. I will have to try and verify that this is a Cuda only issue, and if so we can make adjustments to allow for the difference.

On my car we removed the original brace. I thought it was redundant and it looked bad when seen through the holes in the new brace. When I install that new lower radiator support bracket I intend to remove the original for that same reason.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013 - 01:04:38 AM by acguy »

Offline larry4406

« Reply #88 on: April 07, 2013 - 11:42:12 AM »
Did some work yesterday on the passenger side of the 71 barracuda.  Made a filler peice to close off the open end of the shock tower, then made a filler piece with plug weld holes to extend the brace tight to the shock tower reinforcement pieces.  Ready for welding.

Offline larry4406

« Reply #89 on: April 08, 2013 - 05:25:18 AM »
Passenger side welded in. Welding the relatively thicker brace to the sheet metal was a bit tricky, had to keep the puddle more on the thick brace side with a quick motion over to the sheet metal and back so as to avoid burn through of the sheet metal. 

On to the driver's side.