Author Topic: FACTORY EXACT EXHAUST  (Read 53254 times)

Offline Road_Runner

• Mopar Owner & Standard Bearer Since 1974
Re: FACTORY EXACT EXHAUST
« Reply #150 on: July 06, 2013 - 10:45:56 PM »
Any audio or video available to hear what these systems sound like?  Its been a loooong time since I heard one of these Mopars with stock exhaust!!  Second question, do you already have or have you considered stock 'appearing' exhaust with a little more rumble & less restrictive airflow?  I know to some it has to be OEM all the way, I personally would love the stock appearing but maybe a little more rumble than 100% stock....  Great looking exhaust, I really appreciate that you're making this type of quality available to Mopar enthusiasts!

Later, Jim
1970 383 Roadrunner Tor Red
1973 318 Barracuda Mist Green
2014 Mustang GT/CS Convertible All Black

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
« Reply #151 on: July 06, 2013 - 11:32:08 PM »
I got the Accurate exhaust system and almost everytime I take her out for a spin someone will tell me how sweet my car sounds.  :2thumbs:

Offline Road_Runner

• Mopar Owner & Standard Bearer Since 1974
« Reply #152 on: July 06, 2013 - 11:42:11 PM »
I got the Accurate exhaust system and almost everytime I take her out for a spin someone will tell me how sweet my car sounds.  :2thumbs:

Thanks, that's good to hear.  Some of the sound is engine dependent obviously, but I'd just like a nice low rumble with the warmed over small block I'm planning.  Cam & compression can make a lot of difference even with the same exhaust.  There's loud cars and there's cars that sound like the exhaust is working hard to keep the beast contained, I'm normally a fan of the latter.  However, I'm looking for something a little more civilized for the Barracuda which is why an OEM style system could be just the ticket.

Later, Jim
1970 383 Roadrunner Tor Red
1973 318 Barracuda Mist Green
2014 Mustang GT/CS Convertible All Black

Offline resq302

« Reply #153 on: July 06, 2013 - 11:52:06 PM »
Its funny that you mention the sound quality.  The sound that the engine puts out like you said depends a lot on the cam, bore, stroke, etc but also has a lot to do with the design of the exhaust.  A simple bend can cancel out certain sounds due to the resonance of the waves and movement of the exhaust gasses.  I can't wait to get the exhaust finished up tomorrow after I get the pass side exhaust tweaked with the new muffler on and fire it up to see what it sounds like.  All I know is that I will be VERY happy to not hear that rattling that I had inside the driver side muffler!   :clapping:

Offline resq302

« Reply #154 on: July 08, 2013 - 07:50:39 AM »
Dave,

Yes, the old "inaccurate" muffler was shorter by about maybe a 1/2 - 1" width wise.  The "crushed" corners were also more rounded on the "inaccurate" repro muffler vs. the correct squared off crushed corners that your company makes.  I would lay money that the head pipe did not have the correct OE factory bends to them which caused this to have be modified in order to fit.  Lets face it, the repro exhaust that ECS puts out is identical to the factory NOS ones.  I would have had this problem even if I found a set of NOS mufflers somewhere. 

Either way, I am happy with the results after having to bend the head pipe on the driver side about 4" just to get the muffler centered in the spot and not making contact with the driveshaft.  The pass side I had to bend the head pipe as well and although not satisfied with how it looks centered wise, it does clear the driveshaft so at least my car can be driven around again.  If it were not for the fact that I had some other work to do around my house, I would have fought to get the pass. side muffler more centered.

Attached are the pics of how the system looks now.  The picture was taken on a slight angle it seems (thought I was straight on) as the pass side muffler is closer to the drive shaft than driver side.

Offline Tom Swope

• Accurate Exhaust Products LTD
« Reply #155 on: July 08, 2013 - 09:30:58 AM »
Thought you might like to know - You got your mufflers on backwards. Re bend the front pipes to where they were before and install the mufflers 180 degrees to where they are now and everything should line up just fine.

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #156 on: July 08, 2013 - 09:35:26 AM »
I was going to metion he had the mufflers on wrong....but they already think I'm a trouble maker... :blah:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013 - 11:49:29 AM by anlauto »
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #157 on: July 08, 2013 - 11:55:33 AM »
Thank you for correcting my spelling Dave, I know your affliction with perfection...and I apologize for letting you down. :worshippy

I did notice the size difference, but I was trying to make a conscience effort to remain silent, however I did laugh out loud when I saw how this friend of yours mounting those perfect mufflers backwards.  :smilielol: and complained about the headpipes being wrong. :roflsmiley:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !

Offline resq302

« Reply #158 on: July 08, 2013 - 12:19:26 PM »
Thank you for correcting my spelling Dave, I know your affliction with perfection...and I apologize for letting you down. :worshippy

I did notice the size difference, but I was trying to make a conscience effort to remain silent, however I did laugh out loud when I saw how this friend of yours mounting those perfect mufflers backwards.  :smilielol: and complained about the headpipes being wrong. :roflsmiley:

Well, Alan, when they don't fit on one way (tried the pass side first with the off set facing towards the engine) and it then clears the drive shaft (barely) you would assume that would be the way it goes since the other way did not clear.  Then I tried the other side and it still did not clear either way.  So please tell me what you would have done if one muffler fit one way (the incorrect way) and didn't fit the other way.

Yes, I made a mistake.   :bricks1: :banghead:   One that can be easily corrected.  However, my mistake is a lot easier to correct than a mistake of having to re-tool an entire manufacturing assembly to make it fit like the factory had intended.  I can assure you, when we go to put the exhaust back on our GTX convertible, there will only be one way that the mufflers will fit!  None of these clearance issues that we are having now since the H pipe that came off was a factory original. 

As for the head pipes being wrong, well they still are since they do not have the correct bends or flat spots for clearance.   :roflsmiley:  Thats like saying if it ain't bent right, its not accurate.   :roflsmiley:

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #159 on: July 08, 2013 - 12:34:38 PM »
When a B Body Mopar muffler has a centered outlet and a offset inlet it's pretty simple to figure out which way they go. One look at the factory service manual and it's easy to confirm.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013 - 02:12:31 PM by anlauto »

Offline resq302

« Reply #160 on: July 08, 2013 - 02:08:53 PM »
so what you are saying, Alan, is that EVERY single muffler has the off set going in on the front of it and every single muffler has the center outlet going out the back?  Im sure that there are examples that differ from that thinking.

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #161 on: July 08, 2013 - 02:11:51 PM »
No..what I'm saying is on a Mopar B Body such as yours, they go on one way.

What I'm certain of is that yours are on wrong.

Screwing up the installation is one thing, but publically placing the blame on your in-accurate headpipes is ludacris.

Get a complete new system from Dave at ECS (with installation instructions) :smilielol: install it and be happy. Stop whining about your old exhaust. :horse:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013 - 02:17:59 PM by anlauto »

Offline resq302

« Reply #162 on: July 08, 2013 - 02:16:40 PM »
All I know is that the proper way, it did not clear on the pass. side.  And it was worse on the driver side.  When I flipped them around to the position it is in now, it cleared the drive shaft and everything on the pass side but had very minimal clearance.  The driver side did not fit either way.  Either way, it will have to come apart and get fixed the correct way, bending the head pipe or not. 

Again, if it did not fit in the way it was designed, which was the first way, what would you have done?

Offline resq302

« Reply #163 on: July 08, 2013 - 02:38:44 PM »
No..what I'm saying is on a Mopar B Body such as yours, they go on one way.

What I'm certain of is that yours are on wrong.

Screwing up the installation is one thing, but publically placing the blame on your in-accurate headpipes is ludacris.

Get a complete new system from Dave at ECS (with installation instructions) :smilielol: install it and be happy. Stop whining about your old exhaust. :horse:

Actually, Alan, that is the plan.  As soon as they get the complete B body system ready, I will be amongst the people in line getting it for my charger.  I will be sure to ask Dave for the installation instructions so as not to mess it up again.   :smilielol:  However, if a system is designed like the factory had intended, I can't see how it would fit together any other way.

Again, I tried to put the mufflers on the proper way the first time but since they did not clear, I thought I was putting them on backwards.  Especially since it fit better backwards then it did the proper way.    Or maybe I thought it fit better backwards cause I'm a  :rebel:    :roflsmiley:

I will be sure to post pics of the corrected version as soon as I get a chance and get some family matters resolved. :2thumbs:

Offline resq302

« Reply #164 on: July 09, 2013 - 04:20:00 PM »
Ok, here are the "correct"   :smilielol: muffler shots.  Again, the pass side is still pretty close to the frame rail and that is the best that I could get it without having a pipe bender.  The driver side I had no clearance issues once I got it bent in place.  I would imagine that the pass side should have about the same amount of clearance as what the driver side should have.  Either way, all I need to do now is put the clamps on and snug them up and its done!