Author Topic: FACTORY EXACT EXHAUST  (Read 53268 times)

Offline resq302

Re: FACTORY EXACT EXHAUST
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2012 - 01:45:07 PM »
Ok, I know I am going to take some heat for this but I just gotta ask........ Is the knight's armor coated in RPM?   :smilielol:

Honestly,  :wow:   love all of the mounted articles on all of your cars.  Also love the GIANT blown up pic of the undercarriage of the chally!  I wish I had all that space!

Offline resq302

« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2012 - 03:10:21 PM »
Again.... :wow:  Thats a whole lotta parts!  What is the oval ting with the rectangular base?  No clue what part that is.

One part I (and Im sure others) would love to see repro'd is that 1969 only 14" brushed trim ring that was used on all body styles and came with the road wheels.

Offline MY J0B

« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2012 - 03:22:11 PM »
It's great to see more new products coming to the market.  :2thumbs:

You own the rights to the dies, but some one else stamps them ? They're only going to be available through ECS and not sold be the company stamping them or other vendors? Is that How I read it?  :clueless:

The parts on the table look 100% like factory original parts, so I guess you've done your homework.

Curiously though...most of these items are available in reproduction already, were the existing parts not up to the standards of ECS ? :dunno:

Offline 72ls5fla

« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2012 - 03:53:33 PM »
Dave,

are the parts on the table in production and available?
Could use a few items. ..   LOL

Offline MY J0B

« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2012 - 04:33:06 PM »
Well that makes more sense :thinkerg:

Offline Tom Swope

• Accurate Exhaust Products LTD
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2012 - 10:51:19 PM »
Please keep the comments coming.  They help in educating those who are sincerely seeking the facts.  :thinkerg:  If you reference the Resonator that 4Q.....uh....I mean Tom referenced on page three, it clearly illustrates the point I was making about stamping characteristics.  Notice the difference between the words "Made in the USA" and the part numbers that are embossed.  The evidence shows that the "Made in the USA" is a fixed font that is stamped on every Resonator manufactured while the part numbers are very defined because those characters are stamped less frequently.  The "Made in the USA" insert has worn out at a much faster rate than the part number inserts.  You can also see where the die for the part numbers are pressing too hard and leaving a faint rectangular line around the interchangeable characters.  As requested, I will be posting some photos that show our manufacturing process and the equipment involved. :2thumbs:   

(Sorry about that 4Q.... slip up.  I momentarily forgot what forum I was posting on.) :clueless:

Dave, Thanks for the background information regarding the stamping process and the interpretation of some of the codes on mufflers and
resonators. Would you mind interpreting this quote for me as well  " 4Q.....uh....I mean Tom" in your statement above? If possible  would you please answer this as clear as you possibly can so it leaves no doubt about what you were saying ?
Thanks ,Tom

Offline Tom Swope

« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2012 - 01:34:51 AM »

No problem Tom!   :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

Dave , Your response was interesting so let me make a more interesting one. I am willing to put up $5,000.00 ( five thousand dollars)
to be donated to the charity of your choice if you are correct in the allegation that I am whoever "4Q is.
You however will likewise donate $5,000.00 ( ( five thousand dollars) to a donation I choose if you are incorrect. And I totally agree with
one of  your earlier thoughts that one should put his money where his mouth is. Can I get a simple yes or no to this proposition.  If the answer is yes , we both can agree how the funds can be secured by a legal instrument that would assure this proposal is followed through with. You can sleep on it if you would like but the sooner the better.
Regards,Tom Swope

Offline resq302

« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2012 - 02:24:20 AM »
Its funny, I find myself sitting here at work wondering how one thread completely disappears (referring to the one on Moparts) and yet this one and other threads on different forums  I have started inquiring about exhaust systems have remained.  Granted, there are crazier things I have encountered (like a phone call from an older person wanting to know if the world had ended yet)  but hopefully it will be cleared up once I get a response from a moderator whom I sent a message to inquiring as to why it was deleted.  There was a lot of valuable pictures and information pertaining to different levels of exhaust systems that was on that site which a lot of people could have benefited from.

Tom,

I know  you said that you couldn't remember when your manufacturer had upgraded the stamping on the resonator casing.  Did the manufacturer also resolve the problem with the clearance issue with the torsion bar on the driver side front header pipe?  I know I certainly don't want to have to fight with something like that again as I was paranoid as all heck about messing up the finish on the nice new exhaust pipe only to have to try and put it in a vice and squash a socket into the pipe to get clearance for the torsion bar which Im now finding out that factory original ones had.

Dave,

I assume since yours are exact copies of originals, they will have these notches and other depressed areas for clearance that the factory ones did. :dunno:

Thanks,

Brian
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012 - 02:26:47 AM by resq302 »

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2012 - 02:58:54 AM »
Nice facility ECS, I recognize working with some of those parts. Just reminded me to put those little bracket things back in that go under the car on the sides near the rear torque boxes not sure what they were for, brake line protection. Again Nice place.

Offline resq302

« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2012 - 03:15:46 AM »
Nice facility ECS, I recognize working with some of those parts. Just reminded me to put those little bracket things back in that go under the car on the sides near the rear torque boxes not sure what they were for, brake line protection. Again Nice place.

Yeh, they are either brake or fuel line protection.

Offline Tom Swope

« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2012 - 11:43:52 AM »
Its funny, I find myself sitting here at work wondering how one thread completely disappears (referring to the one on Moparts) and yet this one and other threads on different forums  I have started inquiring about exhaust systems have remained.  Granted, there are crazier things I have encountered (like a phone call from an older person wanting to know if the world had ended yet)  but hopefully it will be cleared up once I get a response from a moderator whom I sent a message to inquiring as to why it was deleted.  There was a lot of valuable pictures and information pertaining to different levels of exhaust systems that was on that site which a lot of people could have benefited from.

Tom,

I know  you said that you couldn't remember when your manufacturer had upgraded the stamping on the resonator casing.  Did the manufacturer also resolve the problem with the clearance issue with the torsion bar on the driver side front header pipe?  I know I certainly don't want to have to fight with something like that again as I was paranoid as all heck about messing up the finish on the nice new exhaust pipe only to have to try and put it in a vice and squash a socket into the pipe to get clearance for the torsion bar which Im now finding out that factory original ones had.

Dave,

I assume since yours are exact copies of originals, they will have these notches and other depressed areas for clearance that the factory ones did. :dunno:
Brian,
You may want to take a look at these two links for why there may be issues with pipe alignment on a Chrysler product.
http://www.accurateltd.com/K-frame-damage-and-Exhaust-Issues_ep_45.html
http://www.accurateltd.com/EngineDrivetrain-Alignment-Issues_ep_44.html
As far as your question: 
" Did the manufacturer also resolve the problem with the clearance issue with the torsion bar on the driver side front header pipe? "
We are the manufacturer of our pipes as you already know and we have very few issues. When we do have a fit issue we try and get to the bottom of it as quickly as possible. Was it not you in an earlier post that mentioned that you made a phone call to us about your problem and we were helpful in helping you to rectify the issue? We do not manufacture most of our pipes in one's and two's but in large runs. We have the cars  on site that our production fixtures are designed . A process that we use regularly at the beginning of a run is to test the first production pipe on the actual vehicle. If there are no issues we continue the run. Each production pipe has a stamped date and code on the part sticker. If a customer calls with an issue we can track that pipe to the particular run it was built. We then pull another pipe with this same code from inventory and retest it on both the vehicle and the production fixture.  If it is good on our end we try and help the customer the best we can on his end. This may include sending another pipe with a clearance dent to the customer or to offer other suggestions . But we do not change our production design based on a problem or two in the field in light of the above links I have included for your review. We are a major supplier of affordable, quality exhaust products not only to the individual Mopar enthusiast but to many major parts vendors as well. There is not much wiggle room for inaccuracy and poor quality issues in the business we are in and enjoy doing. Please rest assured  that we are doing our utmost to satisfy our valued customers. It appears the pictures you had sent of the undercarriage of your car show our exhaust system is still looking good after many years. We strive to use the best modern day materials so that it does. Do we have permission to use these pictures on our site as it is a fine demonstration of a nicely restored car. I think I have answered most of your concerns in an informative and professional way. If you have any more concerns feel free to pick up the phone and give me a call @ (541) 672-2661 and we can chat some more as I think we are boring some on this thread.
Regards,Tom

Brian

Offline 72ls5fla

« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2012 - 01:01:32 PM »
Dave,

I actually have a pipe configuration question for you all ....

Can you guys duplicate the flattening/compression on the head pipes just like on the NOS system on the White 440 car ? (all the sloppy crinkling/flattening)

In particular, where the head pipes travel under the tranny cross member and near where the kick-down linkage comes close to the head pipe.

I know this is restrictive in nature, but it be really cool to have these clearance mods on a system.

Bill

Offline _Russ_

• Not very family friendly!
  • Chk Chk Boom!
    • Show Me How To Live
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2012 - 04:19:00 PM »
Damn. I love looking at that Challenger.

1 have a follow-up question regarding the flat spots, plus a general exhaust question.

1) What was the purpose of the above flat spots? Was it just something that happened during the cars build process, or were they flattened for a reason? (clearance etc).

2) What's the factory dual pipe diameter? 2.5" ?

Offline resq302

« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2012 - 04:23:53 PM »
Brian,
You may want to take a look at these two links for why there may be issues with pipe alignment on a Chrysler product.
http://www.accurateltd.com/K-frame-damage-and-Exhaust-Issues_ep_45.html
http://www.accurateltd.com/EngineDrivetrain-Alignment-Issues_ep_44.html
As far as your question: 
" Did the manufacturer also resolve the problem with the clearance issue with the torsion bar on the driver side front header pipe? "
We are the manufacturer of our pipes as you already know and we have very few issues. When we do have a fit issue we try and get to the bottom of it as quickly as possible. Was it not you in an earlier post that mentioned that you made a phone call to us about your problem and we were helpful in helping you to rectify the issue? We do not manufacture most of our pipes in one's and two's but in large runs. We have the cars  on site that our production fixtures are designed . A process that we use regularly at the beginning of a run is to test the first production pipe on the actual vehicle. If there are no issues we continue the run. Each production pipe has a stamped date and code on the part sticker. If a customer calls with an issue we can track that pipe to the particular run it was built. We then pull another pipe with this same code from inventory and retest it on both the vehicle and the production fixture.  If it is good on our end we try and help the customer the best we can on his end. This may include sending another pipe with a clearance dent to the customer or to offer other suggestions . But we do not change our production design based on a problem or two in the field in light of the above links I have included for your review. We are a major supplier of affordable, quality exhaust products not only to the individual Mopar enthusiast but to many major parts vendors as well. There is not much wiggle room for inaccuracy and poor quality issues in the business we are in and enjoy doing. Please rest assured  that we are doing our utmost to satisfy our valued customers. It appears the pictures you had sent of the undercarriage of your car show our exhaust system is still looking good after many years. We strive to use the best modern day materials so that it does. Do we have permission to use these pictures on our site as it is a fine demonstration of a nicely restored car. I think I have answered most of your concerns in an informative and professional way. If you have any more concerns feel free to pick up the phone and give me a call @ (541) 672-2661 and we can chat some more as I think we are boring some on this thread.
Regards,Tom

Tom,

First, I am flattered that you would like to use the undercarriage pics of our chally for your site.  I am very anal retentive when it comes to the cleanliness of our cars.  The undercarriage and exhaust gets wiped down and  polished every time before a major show and at the beginning of the car show season.  However, I must decline at this time the represenation of the undercarriage of our challenger is for a stock restored look.  As you can see, we do not have the correct flat area on the mufflers by the tie downs and also do not have the correct (updated) stamping in the resonators.  We also do not have the correct indented areas like the factory pipes had.  I do not want to end up misleading anyone by having a highly detailed car as ours have an incorrect part on it with having someone thing that is how it is supposed to look from the factory.

I had indeed contacted your company when we had the fitment issue with the front driver side exhaust pipe and after reviewing the two links you posted, I specifically remember taking measurements from the crank shaft in those specific locations and even remember the person telling me that 340 engine oil pan was never "level with the ground but cocked on an angle" which ours is.  A replacement with the indentation was never offered to me as I recall but the solution was to use a large socket and "crush" the pipe in a vice to "duplicate" the factory indentation area which was there for clearance of the torsion bars.  Now before you go saying that our challenger was in an accident and the frame is tweaked, we verified that also by taking cross measurements and everything lines up fine.  The only thing on our car which was off was where the repro quarter panels that the previous owner had put on did match up that well to the rear valence.  However, that was a manufacturing defect which was known for the early repro quarter panels.  The new AMD panels a MUCH better than what these on our car are.  You mention to someone else about being able to duplicate the indented areas like the factory ones had.  If you knew that there is an obvious clearance issue with the 340s due to the location of the exhaust manifold front piple area to the torsion bars, why not just incorporate this into the manufacturing process instead of knowing it is a "tight fit" and hoping that one persons car might have minimal clearance while another persons rubs up against it?  To me, it would solve a lot of headaches just to make it like the factory did and not have to worry about answering peoples questions when it would barely fit or hit when the engine torqued.  That brings me to another point that you had mentioned..... our engine mounts were brand new and were identical to the old ones we had removed so that was not the issue either.  The only thing that ended up being the problem was the lack of indentation in the front pipe like the originals had.  If I had cell coverage inside my daughters gymnastics building, I would have called you but I am able to use their wi-fi and this was the earliest convenience to be able to get back to you.  You do offer a nice product for the price, however, I wish I had known when we placed the order that we could have gotten the factory indentations for an added price for each piece as that would have solved so many problems before they even appeared.

Brian

Offline Tom Swope

« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2012 - 01:42:49 PM »
Tom,

First, I am flattered that you would like to use the undercarriage pics of our chally for your site.  I am very anal retentive when it comes to the cleanliness of our cars.  The undercarriage and exhaust gets wiped down and  polished every time before a major show and at the beginning of the car show season.  However, I must decline at this time the represenation of the undercarriage of our challenger is for a stock restored look.  As you can see, we do not have the correct flat area on the mufflers by the tie downs and also do not have the correct (updated) stamping in the resonators.  We also do not have the correct indented areas like the factory pipes had.  I do not want to end up misleading anyone by having a highly detailed car as ours have an incorrect part on it with having someone thing that is how it is supposed to look from the factory.

I had indeed contacted your company when we had the fitment issue with the front driver side exhaust pipe and after reviewing the two links you posted, I specifically remember taking measurements from the crank shaft in those specific locations and even remember the person telling me that 340 engine oil pan was never "level with the ground but cocked on an angle" which ours is.  A replacement with the indentation was never offered to me as I recall but the solution was to use a large socket and "crush" the pipe in a vice to "duplicate" the factory indentation area which was there for clearance of the torsion bars.  Now before you go saying that our challenger was in an accident and the frame is tweaked, we verified that also by taking cross measurements and everything lines up fine.  The only thing on our car which was off was where the repro quarter panels that the previous owner had put on did match up that well to the rear valence.  However, that was a manufacturing defect which was known for the early repro quarter panels.  The new AMD panels a MUCH better than what these on our car are.  You mention to someone else about being able to duplicate the indented areas like the factory ones had.  If you knew that there is an obvious clearance issue with the 340s due to the location of the exhaust manifold front piple area to the torsion bars, why not just incorporate this into the manufacturing process instead of knowing it is a "tight fit" and hoping that one persons car might have minimal clearance while another persons rubs up against it?  To me, it would solve a lot of headaches just to make it like the factory did and not have to worry about answering peoples questions when it would barely fit or hit when the engine torqued.  That brings me to another point that you had mentioned..... our engine mounts were brand new and were identical to the old ones we had removed so that was not the issue either.  The only thing that ended up being the problem was the lack of indentation in the front pipe like the originals had.  If I had cell coverage inside my daughters gymnastics building, I would have called you but I am able to use their wi-fi and this was the earliest convenience to be able to get back to you.  You do offer a nice product for the price, however, I wish I had known when we placed the order that we could have gotten the factory indentations for an added price for each piece as that would have solved so many problems before they even appeared.

Brian

Brian,
First of all I apologize for any difficulties you may have had with our product. Secondly I will try and clarify a few points in conclusion to some of your questions. We manufacture over 130 different Chrysler exhaust systems and are constantly striving to improve them in quality , fit and appearance. Included in previous comments were tech references found on our website to illustrate what a manufacturer is faced with when designing exhaust systems for Chrysler applications. This was in no way referring to your particular vehicle. When I designed our 1970 e-body 340 exhaust system about 15 years ago , the left torsion bar clearance issue was addressed by adding an additional 1/2" space so a clearance dent was not required in our production pipes. This should answer your question  "If you knew that there is an obvious clearance issue with the 340s due to the location of the exhaust manifold front piple area to the torsion bars, why not just incorporate this into the manufacturing process instead of knowing it is a "tight fit" and hoping that one persons car might have minimal clearance while another persons rubs up against it? ".  As a volume supplier it is reasonable to accept the law of averages and that there will be an occasional issue such as in your case.  But we have a process for a remedy if this does occur which is also detailed in a previous post. As far as your comment " I wish I had known when we placed the order that we could have gotten the factory indentations for an added price for each piece as that would have solved so many problems before they even appeared."  Our website appears to be clear to what is available and we welcome telephone calls regarding any specific requests such as adding flats and dents for originality appearance purposes. I am sorry that
we could not measure up to your standards but maybe one day we will. 
Regards , Tom
P.S. Brian, Isn't this the same 1970 Challenger that started out as a 318 and you converted it over to 340 exhaust manifolds and dual exhaust?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013 - 12:21:22 PM by Tom Swope »