Author Topic: FACTORY EXACT EXHAUST  (Read 53274 times)

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
Re: FACTORY EXACT EXHAUST
« Reply #135 on: May 08, 2013 - 09:00:28 AM »
It's got a big dent in it.....Must have been sent UPS... :smilielol:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline resq302

« Reply #136 on: May 08, 2013 - 09:43:09 AM »
It's got a big dent in it.....Must have been sent UPS... :smilielol:

Actually, Alan, it has 2 dents.  UPS (actually Fed Ex was the shipper who is BY FAR a better carrier) strategically placed these dents at diagonally opposite corners!  For those of you who don't know, B body mufflers had indentations on diagonal corners for clearance of the uni body and the drive shaft.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #137 on: May 09, 2013 - 10:12:55 PM »
I was wondering if you ever plan to add these to being available.

I haven't seen these being reproduced yet.
It would compliment the rest of the exhaust parts you offer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Exhaust-Clamp-for-Cars-with-Chrome-Tips-/250728184547?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ACuda&hash=item3a60907ae3&vxp=mtr#ht_544wt_679
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #138 on: May 10, 2013 - 08:43:22 AM »
I was wondering if you ever plan to add these to being available.

I haven't seen these being reproduced yet.
It would compliment the rest of the exhaust parts you offer.

Those style clamps have been available in reproduction for years :dunno: Contact Frank Badleson/Roger Gibson or just call up Accurate LTD...
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline Road_Runner

• Mopar Owner & Standard Bearer Since 1974
« Reply #139 on: May 11, 2013 - 12:23:01 AM »
Hi Jim,
Thanks for the question.  The materials used back in the day are no longer available.  Modern day technology (as it relates to exhaust materials) is far superior to anything used 40 years ago.  We used component metal that had the correct appearance , coloring and finish as the originals.  It is the same material used by modern OE manufacturers for their production line vehicles!  During the developing phases of our Exhaust Line, I noticed that my Wife's new 2010 Tahoe had a metal body that looked exactly like the NOS Chrysler units that I had been using for my 1970 restored vehicles.  We researched what they were using and matched the composite quality. Here are a couple of photos of that muffler and the odometer reading on the 145,617 mile Tahoe.

Wow, that's the best possible answer!  Looks like 1973 lasts like 2013!  I really hadn't thought about exact exhaust, but might now.  I look forward to hearing the sounds clips when they're available. Thanks for the great explanation.

Later, Jim
1970 383 Roadrunner Tor Red
1973 318 Barracuda Mist Green
2014 Mustang GT/CS Convertible All Black

Offline resq302

« Reply #140 on: May 20, 2013 - 11:48:59 AM »
Dave,

Any update on the front exhaust pipes?   :dunno:  Looking forward to getting the fronts to match the rest of the system on the chally!   :2thumbs:

Offline resq302

« Reply #141 on: May 21, 2013 - 02:53:15 PM »
Aww, gee wiz, Dave.  You mean that ours is dimple-less?   :22yikes:  Oh well, I've never had a thing for girls with dimples anyway!  I guess my over the axle pipes are the same way!   :smilielol:   Anyway, nice to see that you are still improving on them with very minor details.  :clapping: :2thumbs:

Offline 72ls5fla

« Reply #142 on: May 21, 2013 - 11:35:04 PM »
Dave -

I can't wait to get my car back
- in a year or so ...    :eek4:

so I can put your complete system on it.....

:bigsmile:

Offline resq302

« Reply #143 on: May 22, 2013 - 06:48:51 AM »
Dave, you know me too well, don't you?   :smilielol:  If there is a way to botch something up, (or injure myself in the process) I usually do it somehow. :misbehaving:

Offline resq302

« Reply #144 on: May 22, 2013 - 08:05:50 AM »
Since pricing was brought up. One of our muffler manufacturers has these e-body resonators available that look very similar to ECS units but without the pentastars and date codes. For a list price of $79.00 each it appears to be a great bargain. The unit is double wrapped and has the internals with the two piece perf tube and center chamber relief.

Tom, (if you are still following this thread)

I am just curious if you ever got these resonators with the spot welds in and have them for sale?  I still do not see them listed on your site? A neighbor who is fixing up his 70 green challenger is looking for exhaust parts on a budget.

Offline resq302

« Reply #145 on: June 05, 2013 - 07:44:25 AM »
Another update (or difference) we are finding concerns the Head & H-Pipes.  Many Exhaust Companies are using the default bending specifications for their "original fitting" systems.  While the pipes fit and route exhaust gases to the rear of the vehicle, they do not have the detailed bends that the Assembly Line versions exhibited.  As I said in an earlier post, we are only using original pieces to format the correct measurements, rotation and bend degrees.  We have found that some default units have 2 or 3 FEWER bends than they are suppose to have if you use the recommended machine bending specifications!  The pipes may "fit" under the vehicle but are not correct in appearance.  I'll post some side by side comparisons when we have everything complete.

I'd love to see the side by side pics.  I heard you located a great original specimen for a b body H pipe?  :2thumbs:  I know that the factory H pipe that came out of our GTX seemed to be a thicker metal than the typical repro parts out today.

Offline resq302

« Reply #146 on: June 15, 2013 - 11:27:11 AM »
Dave,

Any updates?   :droolingbounce:

Offline resq302

« Reply #147 on: July 06, 2013 - 07:04:05 PM »
Another update (or difference) we are finding concerns the Head & H-Pipes.  Many Exhaust Companies are using the default bending specifications for their "original fitting" systems.  While the pipes fit and route exhaust gases to the rear of the vehicle, they do not have the detailed bends that the Assembly Line versions exhibited.  As I said in an earlier post, we are only using original pieces to format the correct measurements, rotation and bend degrees.  We have found that some default units have 2 or 3 FEWER bends than they are suppose to have if you use the recommended machine bending specifications!  The pipes may "fit" under the vehicle but are not correct in appearance.  I'll post some side by side comparisons when we have everything complete.

Dave,

I just ran into this EXACT problem with my charger.  Back around 2006 I had purchased an entire exhaust system from a certain company who specializes in Mopar exhaust that claimed to be bent right and accurate.  Well, I just went to install the ECS B body mufflers that I had gotten to replace the muffler that had a rattle inside it (I might have between 3000-5000 miles on the car since I installed it.)  Well, the factory OE repro muffler that is exact to the factory installed one I had an issue with.  Apparently, the system that I had gotten from this Mopar specialized exhaust company does fit when you have their entire system.  However, should one go to install or mix and match NOS components or OE exact repros, you will have major headaches trying to get the stuff to clear.  I had about 4-5" gap between the driver side frame rail and the muffler was now hitting up against the drive shaft.  The pass side muffler cleared the drive shaft, but barely!!!!!  Again, there was this huge gap over towards the frame rail side and about maybe 1/4" clearance to the drive shaft.  In order to reuse this "accurately bent" system, I had bend it myself in order to get the proper clearance for the driveshaft.  I took comparison pictures of the two mufflers before I started the reassembly and unfortunately due to getting aggravated with the thing not fitting, I did not think to take pics of the major clearance issue.  I can not wait till I get some more money saved up to get the complete factory front pipes and tail pipes as now my exhaust tip is slightly cocked to one side due to the tweaking I had to do to the front pipe.  Accurately bent right?  I think not!   

Pics to come as soon as I get them downloaded!   :picture:

Offline resq302

« Reply #148 on: July 06, 2013 - 08:03:37 PM »
Ok, here they are!   :picture:

Offline resq302

« Reply #149 on: July 06, 2013 - 08:04:37 PM »
more....