my worst fear

Author Topic: my worst fear  (Read 75510 times)

Offline spamtank

Re: my worst fear
« Reply #240 on: April 01, 2013 - 08:38:57 PM »
 :angelwings:

You guys are in my thoughts.
Rick, Manchester, NH
1970 SE 383 2V AT Challenger
1977 M882/W200 Power Wagon
2013 RT Plus 6M

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #241 on: April 02, 2013 - 09:07:06 AM »
Hi Darren, hope Owen does well with the chemo.  Does he get nausea with the chemo?  Best to keep him distracted and such.  Must be hard for him and you guys.  Keep the chin up!  It's all to make him better!  You guys are in my prayers.

So If I understand correctly, Owen will be in Memphis from now until August?  Is that right?  :clueless: 
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #242 on: April 02, 2013 - 01:01:14 PM »
Yes,he will be in Memphis until sometime in August.  It all depends on how he handles the chemo.  If his levels are too low for the next round, things will get postponed.

We are being moved to long term housing tomorrow.  Some people have asked for a current address.  I'll have that tomorrow.

Chemo will start on the 12th or 13th.  He's getting an MRI right now to see how things are looking.

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #243 on: April 07, 2013 - 11:52:35 AM »
I hope all goes well, your in our prayers.
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #244 on: April 08, 2013 - 12:13:11 AM »
It has been a tough week.  We got moved into housing on Wednesday but spent the night in the hospital instead of the apartment.  Owen had an MRI and lumbar puncture on Teusday.  On Wednesday he was complaining of a headache and was tired all day.  We were on our way to the grocery store when he vomited in the back seat.  We went back to see his doctor because we were afraid of a shunt malfunction.  He had a CT scan and everything look OK but he was admitted to the hospital over night for observation.  After getting fluids all night he was back to being himself.  Friday he started complaining of a headache again and had the dry heaves.  Back to the doctor we went for another CT scan.  They ruled out a shunt malfunction and thought he was dehydrated.  He has been on a fluid drip since Friday night.  He still complains of a headache when he sits up or tries to exert himself.

He hasn't eaten much of anything in a month and a half.  He is refusing everything we give him right now.  His body is eating itself.  He has no energy but is too young to realize what he's doing to himself.  He is being started on TPN(nutrition through his lines)tomorrow.  I really hope that will sustain him.  Right now we are watching him wither away into nothing.

The MRI showed possitive results.  They can't see the tumor in his brain any more.  Two spots on his spine are gone as well.  One more spot at the base of his spine used to be a round well defined mass.  It's now much smaller and is no longer defined.  They said it's possible that all that's left is dead tumor cells.  MRI's in the future will determine if that spot is completely dead or not.

The lumbar punture wasn't good news however.  The radiation was supposed to sterilize the spinal fluid.  It did not.  There are still cancer cells in the fluid.  They are planning on going ahead with two of the four rounds of chemo and then retesting the fluid.  If the cancer still remains, they might put Owen on a couple newer drugs.

It looks like his type of cancer is the worst possible kind.  His oncologist just met with a group of other head oncologists and they agreed this is the cancer that they want to focus on.  The large tumor that was removed from Owen's brain was saved and they are now using it for their research.

Teusday will be a very long day.  We start at 7 AM and will be at the hospital until late at night.  Owen will be hooked up to what looks like a dialysis machine.  It will be filtering out the stem cells from his blood.  THey will be injected back in him after the heavy rounds of chemo.  We have a very long way to go.  Thanks for keeping him in your prayers!

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
« Reply #245 on: April 08, 2013 - 01:03:39 AM »
Darren....I am praying and believing that you and your family and little Owen receive a medical miracle.  Stay strong my friend.
-Larry
member since AUG 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrWiLgDm7Y

southeastern michigan usa

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

:grinyes: *click my E-Body* :grinyes:

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #246 on: April 08, 2013 - 07:08:21 AM »
Darren, It's so hard to see the process having young kids myself. Stay focused and keep fighting man.
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #247 on: April 08, 2013 - 07:09:58 AM »
Darren, thanks for the update. Sorry to hear it's not all positive yet. I can't imagine the range of emotions you and the wife must be feeling. Sounds like he is in a good place as far as the medical community is concerned?  Meaning really good doctors etc...
I asked members of our Church to put Owen and your family on the prayer list. From your updates sure seems to be a lot of good folks praying for him! :)  I wish there was more we/I could do? If you have any needs , don't be shy and let us know!
Give Owen a big hug for us all!

Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline blown motor

• Resident
« Reply #248 on: April 08, 2013 - 08:42:58 AM »
I'll keep praying for you guys Darren. Thanks for the update.
In search of the eternal buzz!

Offline HP_Cuda

• Hit the skinny little pedal on the right!
  • Sr. Resident
  • Mopar or No Car!
« Reply #249 on: April 08, 2013 - 11:08:22 AM »
Hoping for a quick and painless recovery for Owen.
1970 Cuda Clone 440 4 speed - sublime green
1970 Cuda 383 4 speed - yellow - SOLD

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #250 on: April 09, 2013 - 12:07:51 AM »
Praying for strenth for your family and for Owen to be healed.  :)
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline spamtank

« Reply #251 on: April 09, 2013 - 05:25:16 AM »
My prayers are with you.

Rick, Manchester, NH
1970 SE 383 2V AT Challenger
1977 M882/W200 Power Wagon
2013 RT Plus 6M

Offline diyhemi.com

• Formerly Yellowfin
    • DIYHEMI.COM
my worst fear
« Reply #252 on: April 09, 2013 - 06:10:33 AM »
Reading all of this seems like déjà Vu or the replay of a movie that I know oh so well.

I really wish you the best and will continue to send prayers. Maybe if I get this heap of mine on the road, I can make a road trip up there for a visit. ( if that's ok with you and your family)  it would be nice to see the hospital again and to meet your fighting tiger, Owen.
I actively participate in the LTFU or long term follow up study, but haven't physically been to the hospital since 2011. The study analyses past patients with exploratory treatments and  examines how they have progressed since leaving the hospital. They then can see the long term effects of treatment options and help fine tune things for current patients.

Anyway, just know that St. Jude has your back, today and 20 years from now. Owen will always be watched over.

If I can do anything, just let me know.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013 - 06:22:08 AM by YellowFin »
1970 Barracuda Gran Coupe, gen III project (Cone Killing Cuda)

Offline DoNotChallengeHer

• Resident
  • Drive It Like You Stole It !
« Reply #253 on: April 09, 2013 - 11:33:03 AM »
Prayers sent for Owen and your family.  :angelwings:  thanks for keeping us updated.

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #254 on: April 09, 2013 - 05:27:08 PM »
 :iagree:  :angelwings:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl