my worst fear

Author Topic: my worst fear  (Read 75475 times)

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
Re: my worst fear
« Reply #480 on: February 05, 2014 - 12:29:37 PM »
I couldn't agree more.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #481 on: February 05, 2014 - 12:34:38 PM »
Good to see people saving the tabs. I have a big bag so far too.  And, Happy Birthday to Owen.
Gone... But never forgotten.
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline dvldwg89

• Semper Fi
« Reply #482 on: February 05, 2014 - 02:14:30 PM »
Wonderful picture

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #483 on: February 05, 2014 - 06:07:29 PM »
Still love the photo of his and your legs sticking out from under that car.  What a great memory to have captured of you and he sharing a common love.
:iagree:

Get a little lump in my throat whenever i see that pic.
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #484 on: February 05, 2014 - 07:42:10 PM »
:iagree:

Get a little lump in my throat whenever i see that pic.

Yeah me too!    :'(

Offline AARuFAST

• AARuFAST
  • Resident
« Reply #485 on: February 05, 2014 - 11:21:21 PM »
GOD BLESS.
Pray you and wife are healing from your loss.
Darren did you get the memory bear?
1970 AAR Cuda
1970 Gran Coupe Ragtop. 1 of 66
Gran Cpe Convertible 1 yr only.

" I Want to Ride "

" I tried to be normal once...
it was the most boring
2 minutes of my life!!!!"

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #486 on: February 06, 2014 - 09:41:33 AM »
No, not yet.  I still have your PM with the info though.  We've basically been living in a fog since July.  Every day is getting a little worse for me.  My best friend suggested talking to a doctor about some medication.

My sister hosted a Super Bowl party and collected donations for St Jude.  She started out with a $500 goal.  She increased that to a $1000 goal.  So far she has gathered over $1500.  Last I heard, her party was 5th in the nation for donations collected.  I'm NOT posting the link looking for donations...I just thought it was worth sharing.

http://fundraising.stjude.org/site/TR?px=2513371&pg=personal&fr_id=15000&fl=en_US&et=1ufyVbjo40M7daYx3X8WIg

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #487 on: February 06, 2014 - 10:38:18 AM »
Not going to go all Dr. Phil on you....but I think talking to a professional will definitely help, I would try and avoid medication if you can.

I can't imagine what losing a child is like, I just know after losing my Father and Sister, my brother had a really hard time....He chose the medication route and it really messed him up...we almost lost him too....

Continue to celebrate his date of birth and his wonderful life. Try to avoid thinking about his day of passing or a tragedy of his illness.

God speed... :angelwings:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #488 on: February 06, 2014 - 02:09:33 PM »
 :iagree: I'm no doctor, or any sort of professional but I would go talk to one and avoid pills .... pills as a last resort.
When I lost my Mom and little brother to suicide it was a tough go. I won't " preach" to you but it was and still continues to be my faith that makes the difference and pulls me though. I hope you have someone to talk to, someone you can confide in and that will just listen sometimes. Same goes for your wife. Don't keep it all in.
 :sadwavey:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline 67vertman

• Sr. Resident
  • Member since 9-23-2005
« Reply #489 on: February 06, 2014 - 04:25:26 PM »
Darren,
There is nothing wrong with seeking help. It does not make you less of a man.

How do I know this?  I too suffered a loss (not as devastating as you and your wife’s) which caused me to spiral the same direction in which you are heading.  I could not shake it, and the depression got worse and worse, it got to the point where I could not image one more day of life.  If it wasn’t for my mother still being alive at the time, and seeing what the loss of one son did to her, I would not be here today to write this.

I was a man, and we are not supposed to have feelings or show our emotions.  We, as men, are not allowed to let these things get to us or to show the indignity of needing someone to help us, hell we won’t even ask for directions or go to the doctor unless we absolutely have to.  The phrase “Be A Man” is pounded into us from an early age. “Don’t Cry” and “Suck it Up” are also used, anything that makes us feel like we are not Men if we cannot do it on our own.
Since I couldn’t put my mother through the loss of another son, I had to come to grips with seeking help to move forward.  And believe me seeking help was the LAST thing I “as a man” wanted to admit to or do.

However, speaking with a counselor turned out to be one of the best decisions I ever made.  Working through you grief, loss, anger (yes, anger. Anger that you are still here but your loved one is not, Anger at God for letting this happen, anger that you couldn’t do more to protect you loved one) and emotions, with someone who is trained to work people through these situations.

Eleven years later, does it still hurt? Hell yes it does! Do I still miss him and thank about him every moment? Yes I do. However, I have also learned, through the counselor help, that it is just part of the process, and that it is ok to have these feeling and emotions, and use the tools that they teach you to make since of it all.
I miss Owen very much, even though I never met him. Your stories about him and you sharing him with us made me think of my loved ones and what the mean to each of us.

Be strong my friend, and seek whatever help you need.  We will stand behind you the whole way. 

Ron - Born and raised in Southern California

I got the 1970 Cuda, but still need the hot blonde to ride shotgun!

First car -1969 Road Runner 383 4sp

Current ride - 1970 Barracuda 440-6 4 sp Dana 60  (4:10)

Offline jordan

• no replacement for displacement
« Reply #490 on: February 07, 2014 - 12:59:17 AM »
Hi Darren,

I have been wondering how you have been doing.  I can't imagine how hard this must be for you and your family.  I lost my Dad almost two years ago.  I fell into a horrible, deep depression loosing someone who I cared so much about.  These past two years have been horrible for me as this depression took a toll on my marriage too.  Last year, I finally took the step to get some much needed help with grief.  Please please go see a councelor.  Read the Grief Recovery Handbook.  That alone has helped me in many wonderful ways.  Try a mindfulness class.  What every you do, you have to DO something.  This will never get better until you put effort into it.  Owen will never go away from your heart, but you will have the strength to carry on in a healthy way.  I am in the crazy battle to save my marriage, house, and memories.  Don't let this grief get so deep seated that you loose more than Owen.  I hope I didn't over step any boundaries by saying this.  I just want to help in any way I can.  I would hate to see anybody go through what I'm going through.  Best of luck to you.  67vertman is speaking the truth.   J
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014 - 01:02:55 AM by jordan »
"Don't brake until you see God!"

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #491 on: February 07, 2014 - 09:56:18 AM »
I really appreciate the very personal posts.  No one has overstepped anything.  After Owen passed I needed something to take my mind off it.  That's why I bought the Dart.  I spent a lot of time in the garage tearing it apart.  When I was worn out from working on it I came inside and sat down.  Within 30 seconds, everything started coming back in flashes.  I had to get right up and go back out into the garage.  At night I couldn't get to sleep.  I had to stay up late until I couldn't physically keep my eyes open...that was the only way I could go to sleep.  It started getting a little better but then Christmas time came.  Every other commercial on TV was for St Jude.  The weather got colder so I didn't have my escape in the garage.  Everything has just been building up.  I'm not to the point where I think I need medication...it was just suggested to me.  There were a few weeks that were very low.  Things have stabilized a little.

I was feeling guilty that we hadn't been to the cemetery in a long time.  We finally got out there on his birthday.  The weather was crappy, we had to jump the cemetery fence and had to walk through two feet of snow to get to him but it was worth it.  The temporary marker was just visible above the snow.  It will be good to get the permanent marker placed in the spring.  I told my wife that we should keep celebrating his birthday.  Maybe we can throw yearly parties and collect donations to St Jude.

Last I heard, Owen's school had collected 25 gallon bags of pop tabs.

Offline cbrxxtreme

« Reply #492 on: February 07, 2014 - 02:11:46 PM »
I stumbled accross this story yesterday at work, I can't imagine what you and your wife must be going through, and as all of us,I am very sorry. I have been thinking about it all night, and decided to say this. Bare with me as I have deleted, and retyped, and cryed, trying to make this come out right in text. Hopefully it is of comfort, as this story has made me realise that I need to cherish the time I have with my daughter, (she is very close to Owens age, 5 in October) and not let the little things get me so stressed out... I gave her a big hug when I picked her up last night. So I guess what I'm trying to say is Owens story is making me a better father. I know it doesn't change things, or help you, but it has helped me realise how precious time is. Thank you for sharing, and if you need anything I'd be happy to help. I hope I didn't overstep, or upset you in saying that, I just wanted you to know how it touched me.
Dads 1 owner 1970 Barracuda convertible.

Offline js27

• MOPAR OR NO CAR
« Reply #493 on: February 08, 2014 - 10:17:51 AM »
So Sorry for your loss.
JS27
1967 GTX
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T Conv.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #494 on: March 20, 2014 - 02:21:25 PM »
I just got a call from my sister.  She received a voice mail message from St Jude while she was at the Y with the kids.  If you remember, she had a Super Bowl party where she collected donations to St Jude.  People could donate online or by check at the party.  The party generated $1500 from online donations.(she had a $500 goal)  The checks she received needed to be sent in by the end of February to be counted towards the party.  She sent the checks in but didn't hear anything back.  It turns out that the checks were received but they weren't added to the party total like they were supposed to.  The date that the winning team was supposed to be announced came and went.  It took a lot of calls to get everything straightened out but Team Owen won first place!  I don't know if they had already awarded another team the top spot or not. 

Anyway, Team Owen collected $6680 in donations with everything added up.  My sister and her family won a trip to Memphis and a tour of the hospital.  They're pretty excited!  They are looking forward to meeting some of Owen's doctors and nurses.  There is also a framed picture Owen painted hanging up in the MRI building that they want to see.