Author Topic: Slow build of a (hopefully) fast '72 Cuda  (Read 9341 times)

Offline jedg

Slow build of a (hopefully) fast '72 Cuda
« on: December 19, 2012 - 10:02:59 AM »
I suppose it's time I actually post some pics of my build.   I've been lurking on this site for a few years and have been too busy or lazy to start a thread for my car.  My uncle gave me this 1972 'Cuda back in the 80's.  I drove it for a few years (it was a beater) until the engine gave out.  It has sat at my father's house since that time.   I finally decided to build it back in 2009 and, with lots of help from my Dad, have been slow but steady with the build.  I work on it in between the deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan and when I can get back to the Missouri (I've been stationed at Fort Bragg, NC since 2008). 

Okay, for the good stuff.   First, my goal is a resto-mod '72 Cuda that has the AAR look to it with modern technology and comforts.  I've replaced the entire suspension and am now running an AlterKation front suspension and a 4-link rear suspension purchased from RMS.  I have 14" discs on the front and 13" on the back.  The rear is now a Moser Dana 60 with 4.10 gears.  I just received my engine from Indy Cylinder Heads, a 6.1 Hemi stroked to 426.  They dyno puts it at 587hp and 543lb-ft of torque.  I have a 4L60E trans built by Phoenix Transmissions to put behind the engine.  The seats are from a 2010 Dodge Charger SRT8, leather, power, and heated driver and passenger.  I'm going to try to fit a 2010 Dodge Challenger console in as well (might be too wide).  The side mirrors are power and heated from a 2009 Dodge Challenger.

Pics of the clean-up of the body...  I'm still trying to figure out how to post text in-between the pics... so, I'll explain them here then you can look at them.

Pic 1 - This is what the car looked like at the start in 2009
Pic 2 - When I came back for R&R in Jan of 2010 I started the tear-down. 
Pic 3 - I'm fortunate enough that my Dad and I have a decent shop to work in.  I stripped the car, put it on a car rotisserie, sandblasted and then sprayed it with primer.
Pic 4 - The left side is before and right side is after of the floorboard...
Pic 5 - Left side of the trunk was washing machine metal placed over the very rusted trunk... how do I know it's washing machine metal you ask?  When I cut it out, it still has a Whirl Pool sticker on the other side...
Pic 6 - At a friend's bodyshop to get the frame straightened and more body panel work.

I'm much further along than these pics... I'll post some more in a few.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013 - 10:15:50 AM by jedg »

Offline jedg

Re: Slow build of a (hopefully) fast '72 Cuda
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012 - 10:22:02 AM »
As I said, I've got an AlterKation front and a 4-link rear suspension from RMS under the car now.   The install was pretty painless overall.  Took a total of about 2 days to do both front and rear installs. 

Pic 1 - This is what the front and rear suspension looked like when delivered... I admit that when i saw this, I got pretty nervous...
Pic 2 - The AlterKation installed... I have the advantage of a good shop and a car rotisserie...
Pic 3 - The 14" Wilwood disc brakes installed...
Pic 4 - 13" Wilwood discs on the Moser Dana 60 using the 4-link purchased from RMS

Offline jedg

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012 - 10:37:59 AM »
So these are pics of where I stand now.   The bodywork is finished, engine has arrived, trans has arrived, seats have arrived.  I still need to purchase the steering column.  My plan is to fit the engine/trans and clearance where I need.  Once the engine/trans fit, then I can fit the seats.  My logic is that I need to get the engine/trans fitted first in case I need to do any cutting that could affect the trans tunnel and, thereby, affect the fitment of the seats.  When I fit the seats, I need the steering column in place so that I can make sure I have the seats in a reasonable position for the steering wheel (height and front-to-rear).   Once I get this finished, I have to take the suspension back off the car and it goes back to the body shop for paint.  I'm going for a 'new' AAR look so the hood and fender tops will be black (like the old AARs) but the body will be a silver or platinum.  Not sure what color I will use for the strobe stripe yet.  I will have to sandblast and powder coat my wheels as I purchased them when my intention was to paint the car black.. now, I don't think the chrome will look so good with the new paint concept.  Luckily we have a powder coating system and an oven large enough to do the wheels ourselves.  Probably coat them a dark grey... like gunmetal grey... not sure yet.   I also had the rear lower valance modified so that it doesn't have the rear bumper guard cut-outs anymore... oh, and had the front/rear bumpers pulled in and the doors shaved.

Offline jedg

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012 - 10:53:14 AM »
Final post for now... hehehe...

The engine is a 6.1 Hemi stroked to 426ci that produced 587hp and 543 lb-ft of torque.  I'm using the FAST fuel injection system on it with a Mod-Man intake manifold.  The trans is a 4L60E that is build to handle up to 750hp so I'm hopeful I'm good on that.  I chose the 4L60E in hopes that I won't have to modify the trans tunnel too much, if at all.  Supposedly the CompuShift II transmission computer will work with the FAST ECU on the engine...

I have the seats (front and rear from 2010 Dodge Charger) and the console (from 2010 Dodge Challenger) at the house now as well.  I think that will take some patience and a bit of a challenge to see if I can make them fit and look nice.  I'm hoping I can use the back seat from the Charger as well.  If not, I have my original Cuda rear seat and will have them re-covered.

Offline johns cuda shop

• 71 Cuda Pro-Touring Build
  • Machinist and Fabricator
    • Custom Machine Components
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012 - 12:50:10 PM »
Looking Good, I like all the body mods ,complements the modern drivetrain. Make sure you fit all your exhaust , electrical, fuel and brake lines so there is no suprises later. Take you time,I see too many builds that dont properly mock up everything before paint. :wow:
71 Cuda Gen III Aluminum 426 Hemi T56 6 speed 4.10 8.75 Modified & Lowered RMS coilover suspension Wilwood discs

Offline jedg

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012 - 12:53:21 PM »
Thanks and good point.  I've got the time so I really should get the exhaust/fuel/brakes/electrical roughed in.

Looking Good, I like all the body mods ,complements the modern drivetrain. Make sure you fit all your exhaust , electrical, fuel and brake lines so there is no suprises later. Take you time,I see too many builds that dont properly mock up everything before paint. :wow:

Offline johns cuda shop

• 71 Cuda Pro-Touring Build
  • Machinist and Fabricator
    • Custom Machine Components
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012 - 03:12:22 PM »
Thanks and good point.  I've got the time so I really should get the exhaust/fuel/brakes/electrical roughed in.
Once you set your drivetrain in and your driveline angle set, you can get the ride height were you want it. That sets a standard on where your exhaust, fuel ect  can be  mocked up . Did you install any body reiforcements ,frame connectors, Torque boxes ,ect, to keep that beast from twisting the body? I had to on my car http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=75207.0
71 Cuda Gen III Aluminum 426 Hemi T56 6 speed 4.10 8.75 Modified & Lowered RMS coilover suspension Wilwood discs

Offline jedg

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012 - 05:52:53 PM »
Thanks again for the advice.  Yes, I installed Hotchkis frame connectors.

Once you set your drivetrain in and your driveline angle set, you can get the ride height were you want it. That sets a standard on where your exhaust, fuel ect  can be  mocked up . Did you install any body reiforcements ,frame connectors, Torque boxes ,ect, to keep that beast from twisting the body? I had to on my car http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=75207.0

Offline Travis72

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012 - 11:27:44 PM »
About time you made a post Jeff!!!  You car should be a monster!  Keep up the good work.

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline jedg

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012 - 11:39:07 PM »
Thanks Travis,  some of the credit goes to you as many of the answers to the questions I sent you are incorporated into the car already.

About time you made a post Jeff!!!  You car should be a monster!  Keep up the good work.

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline Fastd

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013 - 08:24:18 AM »
Hello,

Very nice looking project you have there. i will be very interested in your the seat install as I will also be using seats out of a new Challenger. My concern is that I'm 6'4". I think the floor board will have to be lowered. Would it be possible for you to take a pic of the seat rails from a side view? I was thinking about removing the seat mount area and installing a flat piece which would rest on the sub frame connectors being installed. With the current mounting points in the car removed the new seat will site about 3 - inches lower. Just a guess at this point.

Todd

1970 Dodge Challenger (pro-touring build)
1999 Dodge Durango
2006 Dodge Charger 5.7 Hemi (Wifes)

Offline moparman82

• MOPAR or No car
  • Resident
  • Livin' the dream
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013 - 09:06:59 AM »
Car looks good man, love the setup, but i have a question for you, i was hoping to put 08 & up challenger seats in my challenger, then i considered expanding my search for seats to other srt models like the charger/300 and jeep, but since they are all 4 door models, the seats dont flip forward to allow people to get into the back seat, whats your plan there? I realize that not everyone uses their back seat, so i was wondering if that was the case with your car or if you are going to modify them, and if you are, how are you going to modify them to do that?  Keep up the awesome work man, motor looks epic, you are inspiring some serious jealousy here! 

:popcorn:
Scott in Omaha
Searching for the right 70 Cuda driver
1973 challenger in go-mango, on it's way to a 70 T/A clone SOLD
2015 crew cab Hemi ram SOLD
2019 Ram Laramie
2016 Tahoe LTZ SOLD
1976 Ramcharger 383 4spd SOLD
2016 Audi

24 mopars past and 2 present

Offline jedg

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013 - 09:24:50 AM »
I was on the fence with having a back seat at all for a while, these seats actually do fold forward.  That said, I decided that this would be a two-seater.  I'm going to use the area where the rear seat would have been for the stereo equipment, as well as the fuse block.  I'm using a trunk-mount wiring harness so I'll have the fuse block back in this area rather than use more of the trunk space.  The battery is already going to be in the trunk so this will same a bit of trunk space if I put the fuse block, amps, subwoofer equipment where the rear seat would have been.

Jeff.

Car looks good man, love the setup, but i have a question for you, i was hoping to put 08 & up challenger seats in my challenger, then i considered expanding my search for seats to other srt models like the charger/300 and jeep, but since they are all 4 door models, the seats dont flip forward to allow people to get into the back seat, whats your plan there? I realize that not everyone uses their back seat, so i was wondering if that was the case with your car or if you are going to modify them, and if you are, how are you going to modify them to do that?  Keep up the awesome work man, motor looks epic, you are inspiring some serious jealousy here! 

:popcorn:

Offline moparman82

• MOPAR or No car
  • Resident
  • Livin' the dream
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013 - 09:33:52 AM »
cool man!  sounds like its going to be one awesome ride!
Scott in Omaha
Searching for the right 70 Cuda driver
1973 challenger in go-mango, on it's way to a 70 T/A clone SOLD
2015 crew cab Hemi ram SOLD
2019 Ram Laramie
2016 Tahoe LTZ SOLD
1976 Ramcharger 383 4spd SOLD
2016 Audi

24 mopars past and 2 present

Offline Cuda Commando

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013 - 05:54:07 PM »
Looking good :2thumbs:Keeps the pics coming.