Author Topic: Slow build of a (hopefully) fast '72 Cuda  (Read 9345 times)

Offline Mopar Thunder

Re: Slow build of a (hopefully) fast '72 Cuda
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013 - 06:11:43 PM »
Awesome!  I can't wait to see the finished product. 

Offline usraptr

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013 - 08:10:00 PM »
Nice build!  I am also looking forward to seeing the finished product! :2thumbs:
1970 Plymouth 'Cuda.  Matching numbers 440 U Code, 4 speed pistol grip, Rallye dash, AM 8 Track, Shaker hood, 15 inch rallye wheels, Dana 60 4.10, Super Track Pak.  One of 134 - 440 "U" coupes codes built in 1970 and one of 100 - 440 Super Track Paks built in 1970.

Restoration pictures at:  http://spanks4thememory.smugmug.com/Cars/70-Cuda/7240639_M24oi#465274575_2MBqW
(Edited 8-1-17)

"usraptr" = United States raptor - bird of prey = United States Bald Eagle.  FYI, somebody else thought of it first so I had to drop the "O" in raptor.

Offline moparelwood

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2013 - 12:10:59 AM »
Nice project  :wow: I love all the new goodies you are putting in.  Keep up the good work. Seeing things like this make me want to get off the web and hit the garage.

Offline jedg

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2013 - 11:50:51 AM »
Thanks guys.   I hope to test fit the engine/trans by summer.   I ordered the headers yesterday so need to purchase the mini-starter and the steering column.   Then I can see what I need to do to get this stuff in the car!

Offline jedg

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2013 - 11:29:51 PM »
Well, a bit more progress.   I was able to test-fit the engine/transmission/headers in the vehicle this weekend.   It was definitely a good idea to pull the suspension, mount the engine/trans/headers to the suspension and then lower the Cuda down onto the suspension.   The test-fit and clearance process took around 10 fittings.  (lower Cuda until something touches, mark the contact point, rase the Cuda, use a BFH to make some room, repeat as necessary).  I did this using a gantry crane and hoist.

For the record, I'm using a 6.1L engine, TTI headers, RMS AlterKation front suspension, and a 4L60E transmission.   I have to say that the transmission mated up flawlessly.  I purchased my trans and the necessary adapters from Phoenix Transmissions.   Excellent service and customer support.

This combination required the making room in the trans tunnel on the passenger side for the transmission.   Specifically, room for the transmission lines so that the lines could be installed, room for the lower portion on the trans on the passenger side for what I believe is the access to the gear pack(??), and the pinch seam in the area of the bell housing.   I also needed to flatten a bit of the large humps on the engine side of the passenger A-Frame support.  (So where the upper A-frame bolts to the body, the actual bulges on the engine side).   Also, I had to cut about 1/2" from the flange of the transmission bell housing that is used for the dust cover on the passenger side so that the headers would clear the transmission.

The car is now at the body shop to get the undercarriage, interior, and engine bay painted... then back to me for engine/trans/suspension install.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013 - 10:13:34 AM by jedg »

Offline Travis72

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2013 - 01:57:56 AM »
Looking good!  Looks mean with those big valve covers.

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline jedg

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2013 - 10:02:18 PM »
Thanks Travis.   I have to give you credit for my test-fitting process.   I followed your lead (at least I think it was you) to lower the body down onto the suspension.

Looking good!  Looks mean with those big valve covers.

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline jedg

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2013 - 10:12:33 AM »
So the latest update.   I had discovered that the passenger side header was contacting the transmission dust cover flange.  So, I called Phoenix Transmissions and they said I could clearance the flange without causing trouble to the trans itself.  (note they said to cut or grind but NOT to score and break, I guess some folks tried score/break and cracked their housing).   Anyway, I clearance about 1/2"... header still contacts... i clearance some more... still contact... clearance as much as I'm brave enough to do... still contact... this is when I realize that the header is also contacting the transmission oil pan... dang!   Now I'm thinking the header is designed wrong or was built wrong.   I contact Mike at TTI Headers and send him the below pictures (actually LOTS of pictures from different angles, but I'll save you from seeing the same thing from 90 different angles)...

Well, this is where I have to give kudos to Mike and TTI Headers.   I got an immediate response from Mike.  He determines that the headers were designed to fit a torqueflite 727 trans and that the 4L60E I have is wider, hence the contact.  He tells me that they will build a new passenger header.   I asked what it will cost as I'm prepared to pay since I didn't believe this would be covered under a warranty or such.   He said no cost and they paid to ship the old header back!  When I ordered from them via phone, the service was great.  They shipped the headers promptly and they arrived in immaculate condition.  Now to follow that with great customer service AFTER they have my money.   Yep, I recommend TTI without reservation.  (kind of like an add huh?)

So the pictures... the first three are the old misfit header... the last two are the replacement that TTI sent.

Thanks to my Dad for test fitting the replacement headers and then the photos.  ( the car is at his shop in Missouri and I'm stationed in Indiana right now )

« Last Edit: June 06, 2013 - 10:14:41 AM by jedg »

Offline 7212Mopar

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2013 - 03:04:38 PM »
Looking great, nice shiny headers. Looks like the old one exit pointed inwards where as the new ones point straight back.

I will be getting TTI down the line as well.
1973 Challenger Rallye, AT with 1971 340
2012 Challenger SRT8 392 YJ,  6 spd

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2013 - 04:33:24 PM »
Awesome build!

Just curious, but how come you didn't do the Mod Man intake w/the EFI already in it and go with a SEFI type EFI, like the FAST XFI?

Also, before painting, I would clean up the firewall, engine compartment of all unnecessary holes left from the old setup (e.g. ECU mount bracket, voltage regulator, ballast resistor, shocks, etc.).
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013 - 04:38:45 PM by ragtopdodge »
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline johns cuda shop

• 71 Cuda Pro-Touring Build
  • Machinist and Fabricator
    • Custom Machine Components
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2013 - 04:45:14 PM »
 :popcorn:
71 Cuda Gen III Aluminum 426 Hemi T56 6 speed 4.10 8.75 Modified & Lowered RMS coilover suspension Wilwood discs

Offline jedg

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2013 - 08:07:37 PM »
Good eye on the EFI.  I plan to move to a supercharger in the future (the internals of the engine are such to take it), so, talking with Indy Cylinder Heads, we decided this was the easiest/cheapest 'temporary' setup.   It's the FAST EZ-EFI system and as the engine sits now, it puts out 587hp and 543 lb-ft of torque.

Yep, part of getting the engine bay in paint is to patch all the extra holes.

Jeff.

Awesome build!

Just curious, but how come you didn't do the Mod Man intake w/the EFI already in it and go with a SEFI type EFI, like the FAST XFI?

Also, before painting, I would clean up the firewall, engine compartment of all unnecessary holes left from the old setup (e.g. ECU mount bracket, voltage regulator, ballast resistor, shocks, etc.).

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2013 - 02:37:57 AM »
Awesome!  What supercharger?  A Kenne Bell?

'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline jedg

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2013 - 12:30:09 PM »
Yep, that's the plan. A liquid cooled kenne bell.   

Awesome!  What supercharger?  A Kenne Bell?

Offline moparman82

• MOPAR or No car
  • Resident
  • Livin' the dream
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2013 - 12:46:14 PM »
Wow man, almost 600hp and ur still gonna add a blower?  Thing is gonna be insane, I love everything about the build up to this point, going to be one sweet ride
Scott in Omaha
Searching for the right 70 Cuda driver
1973 challenger in go-mango, on it's way to a 70 T/A clone SOLD
2015 crew cab Hemi ram SOLD
2019 Ram Laramie
2016 Tahoe LTZ SOLD
1976 Ramcharger 383 4spd SOLD
2016 Audi

24 mopars past and 2 present