Author Topic: 71 cuda headlight brackets  (Read 5702 times)

Offline jimmycuda71

• The Money Pit
71 cuda headlight brackets
« on: December 23, 2012 - 06:19:11 PM »
I am trying to install the headlight brackets on a 71 cuda.  :1zhelp: All the holes line up except where do you attach the upper leg bracket to the body? There does not seem to be a hole to attach it to.  :clueless: If you have a picture it sure would help. Thanks jimmycuda71

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
Re: 71 cuda headlight brackets
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012 - 10:06:37 PM »
Is this what your after?

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012 - 01:07:52 AM »
OEM headlights I believe there Cudahunter.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline MY J0B

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012 - 09:54:20 AM »
Those do look like OEM headlight brackets, but it's curious that the one doesn't seem to have a hole for the mounting bracket bolt. :clueless:

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012 - 12:12:12 PM »
Which one doesn't have ahole?

I noticed the drivers side did not seem to have ahole on the radiator shroud side.
I have to look at the actual car now.

Isn't OEM what he was after?   
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline jimmycuda71

• The Money Pit
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012 - 03:29:24 PM »
Yes I am using original 71 headlight brackets. But I am mounting them on a 73 model cuda. The picture helped. The hole should have been where the two panel overlapped. The problem was there was no hole on the radiator support side. I drilled the hole through the other half of the panel and it lined right up with the hole in the bracket. Now if will works the same on the drivers side, I will have it made.
Thanks for the help and the pictures.
Jimmycuda71

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012 - 12:31:38 AM »
Are there pictures of your progress?

Offline jimmycuda71

• The Money Pit
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012 - 10:19:13 AM »
I didn't take any pictures before I began. I sure wish that I had cause it sure has came a long way from the brown 73 Barracuda that I started with.

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012 - 10:25:49 AM »
No time like the present to start taking pics.
We're all curious to see. 

:useless:

Offline jimmycuda71

• The Money Pit
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012 - 04:51:53 PM »
Here is where I am now.

Offline jimmycuda71

• The Money Pit
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2012 - 04:57:18 PM »
I think I did something wrong on the resizing. Still haven't got the hang of it.

Offline EMCD

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2012 - 05:33:56 PM »
Did you buy new front fenders? Or convert the old one? I'm going to do the same thing to my 72. Can you describe your work and plan

Offline jimmycuda71

• The Money Pit
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2012 - 10:51:18 PM »
I started with a mostly rust free 73 Barracuda that I had purchased a few years age. The car had been stored for 12 years in a mans shop in Michigan. He had purchased it in California and planned to restore it but never got around to it. For the past 3 years I have just driven and enjoyed the Cuda.
I always liked the looks of the 71 models. But I really liked my car so I decided to clone it.
I started by cutting out the taillight panel and replacing it with a 71 panel. Of the things that I have done to the car myself that was the worst for me.
Next I removed the vinyl top. Now there was some pretty bad surface rust under it. At that point I took it to the body shop for roof repairs. It had to be right since I didn't plan on putting the vinyl top back on.
I purchased a new decklid so it would have spoiler cutouts.
Next I purchased 71 fenders and found an original bulge hood. Finally found an original 71 grille. Finding a grille with no cracks or repairs needed for a price that I could afford was the hardest part to find.
Pulled out engine and transmission. Then took back to body shop.
My paint guy did the final bodywork which was minimal. Car was very solid and strait to start with. The only rust in the whole car was under the vinyl top. That made the job a lot easier and cheaper with no rust to repair. 
It is going to be a  driver not a show car so the trunk was lined with bedliner from top to bottom. Car was painted in Rally Red paint. I also found out that red paint is expensive.
All the aftermarket parts that I purchased was from AMD. The quality and fit was outstanding.
I just got my mustang off the lift a couple of days ago so I could start putting the Cuda back together. I was going to have a 512 stroker built to go in it.  But I am going to run short of funds before I get that far. Maybe towards the end of the year or next year. So I guess the small block is going back in for now. But I am putting Fast EZ EFI on it first.
I have ordered an Alterktion front suspension. It should be here next week. Have not decided on the rear yet. But I am leaning towards the Alterktion street Lynx. I will be installing subframe connectors too.
The only modifications that I plan on doing to the interior is replacing the seats with some procar seats. And replacing the instrument panel with one from XV Motorsports with autometer phantom gauges. And adding an A/C unit from Vintage air.
I am doing all the work myself with the exception of the paint and body. I guess you would call it a restomod driver.
It has been a little over a year since I have been able to get it out and drive it. I am hoping to be done by late spring or early summer. If I do not run out of money first. Wish me luck....

Well that is kind of where I am at and where I am heading.

Jimmycuda71

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2012 - 01:04:13 AM »
Cool. 
It sure does look like a solid ride.

Thanks for the pics. 

Offline EMCD

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2012 - 09:39:05 AM »
Nice. I'm doing the same conversion. Except, I'm going to convert the front fenders from 72 to 71.