Author Topic: Missing a dash light wire ?  (Read 895 times)

Offline tony 73

Missing a dash light wire ?
« on: December 28, 2012 - 06:36:33 PM »
I have circled the problem. Photo was taken soon after I pulled the column apart. I have fixed the large red wire but next to it is a empty plug hole. In the opposite hole. on the harness plug is 2 organge wires that supply power to the dash lights.
1- Am I missing an orange wire
2- If so what is my best course of action
     -run a wire from the light plug/relay
     -splice into a wire into the steering colunm . If so which one ?

Have looked at the wiring diagrams on the mymopar site and can not find one showing steering column harness end.

thanks, tony

Offline 74challenger03

Re: Missing a dash light wire ?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012 - 07:29:50 PM »
Hey Tony I have a 73 shop manual and was wondering is the colunm in the pic a 73? The 3rd hole in the opposite plug should be orange,that is the gear selector lamp.The 2 orange wires on the other go in the plug as 1.Hope this helped.  check this  http://forums.moparmusclemagazine.com/70/8105173/mopar-car-interior/wiring-diagrams/
What does it profit a man to gain the whole would and lose his soul.

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012 - 11:07:47 PM »
I seem to remember that hole not having anything in it. Been a while though, could be wrong. I'll check tomorrow.
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline tony 73

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012 - 05:16:15 AM »
Think I have made some progress. Your comment about 'gear selector lamp' made me think the empty plug is for a column shift so power must be elsewhere. Had closer look at wiring diagram and looks like dash light wiring is linked to radio plug where there is a red and orange wire. My radio is missing and had a look at the wires and they had been cut and left hanging. I joined them together with a 10amp fuse and now dash lights go. Only thing is that they light up when you turn they key , even without turning the headlight switch on.
Thanks 74challenger03 and Chris,
tony