Author Topic: K-Frame Issue??? update!  (Read 13041 times)

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
K-Frame Issue??? update!
« on: January 04, 2013 - 10:02:52 AM »
SO, pulling apart the front suspension on my cuda, I think I found an issue with my K-frame.

Here are some pics of the pass side strut rod mounting home at the front of the frame.  Some of the pics are extreme close ups (sorry frame is still in the car)

From under the car

I sure looks like the hole is all screwed up.

Will this cause an issue with the front suspension?

Can I use this, or woudl I be better off replacign the K-frame.

Jason
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013 - 04:10:02 PM by CUDA JAS »
74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline HP2

• Resident
Re: K-Frame Issue???
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013 - 11:02:21 AM »
That's not good.

The strut rods hold the lower control arm in triangulation so there is a pretty large amount of thrust loading on this area during braking. You certianly woudl not want a bushing pushing through that area.

You could work on it some to avoid replacing the entire K, but it certainly would be easier to simply unbolt it and bolt in a another one if you could source one cheap enough. If you want to do repairs, you could have the area flattened out and oversize area welded up with an insert that has the correct sized holes.

I would also recommned doing a close inspection of the lower control arm mounting area to ensure that it is not egged out or cracked.

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013 - 11:16:36 AM »
Jason....SCRAP that K frame.....Trust me.

It's not that big of a deal now that you're that far along. You can simply support the motor and steering box from above, undo the motor mounts, K Frame bolts, steering box bolts and drop it out.
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013 - 11:21:26 AM »
I wonder if that's related to your UCA issue.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013 - 12:26:12 PM »
Jason....SCRAP that K frame.....Trust me.

It's not that big of a deal now that you're that far along. You can simply support the motor and steering box from above, undo the motor mounts, K Frame bolts, steering box bolts and drop it out.

Yep that is the way I am leaning...but I am worried about how to support the engine.

Looks liek I better start looking at the funny papers.

I wonder if that's related to your UCA issue.

I am betting that is one of the reasons that car just never felt quite right.  :dunno:

Jason
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013 - 12:33:42 PM by CUDA JAS »
74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013 - 12:40:33 PM »
Supporting the engine is simple. Get a square pipe 2 X 2 , cut it to length so it will rest on the top of your inner fenders. Pad each end of the pipe and just place it across the engine bay. Rise the motor slightly and chain the motor to the pipe.
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013 - 06:28:26 PM »
What Alan said, but a 4x4 will work, too and it's cheaper. Och aye! If you need a hand, let me know. Ian

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013 - 06:42:04 PM »
Yep...several things with work....There is an actual tool for this that a lot of shops use when removing FWD transmissions. Maybe a local shop can spot you the correct tool ? Just have a new K Frame ready to go in, and it will be an afternoon job.

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013 - 07:08:20 PM »
Thanks guys.

My plan will be to have a new K-frame already to go before pulling out the old one.

Jason
74 'cuda 360/727

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013 - 07:46:04 PM »
If you are going to swap the K Frame...I would assemble it completely outside the car then put it back in place...but that's just me....I would also paint the K Frame a more manly colour like black  :poopoke:  :roflsmiley:

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013 - 07:53:19 PM »
I'd take the time to reweld up the replacement k frame and gusseted the steering box mounts too!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013 - 09:50:29 AM by brads70 »
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline wiging19

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013 - 03:31:01 AM »
I'd take the time to reweld up the replacement k frame and fussed the steering box mounts too!

This is a very good suggestion.  My steering box nuts were loose in the K frame and this made a big difference in how the car handled and felt.  The friends I have who have strengthen their K Frame with welds say it significantly improves the handling of their cars.

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013 - 07:34:21 AM »
I'd take the time to reweld up the replacement k frame and fussed the steering box mounts too!

Yep, that is my plan.  I spent a few hours yesterday looking into what others have done to reenforce K-frames.

Jason
74 'cuda 360/727

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013 - 09:55:09 AM »
Yep, that is my plan.  I spent a few hours yesterday looking into what others have done to reenforce K-frames.

Jason

Some good pictures here....
http://www.firmfeel.com/reinfkfram_e.htm
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline drewcrane

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013 - 11:02:14 AM »
I made some plates ,and welded it up on the car, my Kframe cracked during my V.P. trip,I realize your is in the strut rod area ,but the same thing needs to be done in both LCA and strut rod area,
 and  I had to have the car towed from Vail the steering became so loose the UCA was binding up pretty nasty
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013 - 04:11:00 PM by drewcrane »