Author Topic: Kickdown linkage questions  (Read 1224 times)

Offline MAXcuda

Kickdown linkage questions
« on: March 06, 2005 - 11:06:05 PM »
I was trying to adjust my kickdown linkage today, because the throttle post is in the middle of the slot and according to the FSM its supposed to be at the back to push the linkage which controls line pressure, correct?  Something like that.  Anyway, I have a Holley street avenger carb which I think does not have the correct kit on it, so I'll need to get that.  So I thought I could just put a little epoxy in the slot to have the throttle rod start pushing immediately, but that didnt work.  I'll drill that out tomorrow. 

The real problem I'm having, regardless of the holley kit, is that when the lever on the transmission is at its front stop (idle position) the C-shaped round bracket that hinges up near the carb is at a 120 degree angle.  This is as far counterclockwise as it will rotate b/c the rod will not let it come up further, even adjusted out all the way.  The bracket can only rotate about another 30 degrees clockwise (when the accelerator is pushed down) before it hits the sheetmetal bracket that it is mounted to that is mounted to the intake.  It looks like if that C-shaped hinge would start out at about 90 degrees wehn the transmission lever was at teh front stop then it could travel far enough not to bind before the carb is fully open.

What kickdown linkage am i supposed to have?  3 piece or one piece?  The transmission rod says "-B- 758" on it.  Transmission is a 1978 model 727.  Motor is a 70 model 340.  Car originally came with 318/904, so your guess is as good as mine to where the linkage came from.  I'm looking for a temporary fix, not a $100 cable kickdown kit.  I plan to put a 4 gear in it in the next year or so.  Here are some pics.  Thanks for reading this.   :coffee:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Kickdown linkage questions
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005 - 02:04:33 AM »
you may need to bend the link to get the upper slide further forward ,, it looks like you have the proper carb adapter & pin on the carb , the linkage should be all the way back at wide open throttle   

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Ravage

• 1974 318 'Cuda
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005 - 04:13:13 AM »
Here's a 10 cent cure that I used.Put the screw on the kickdown in a position so that it pushes the linkage all the way back at wide open throttle ,then adjust from there with test drives.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"I flipped off a box of kittens once..." (Tycho on being evil)

Offline MAXcuda

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005 - 02:33:13 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I bent the bar (quite a bit) and it works great now.   :burnout: