Author Topic: Latest GPS tracking devices?  (Read 1043 times)

Offline chaps70rt

• 70 Challenger R/T Hardtop in Progress (Canada)
Latest GPS tracking devices?
« on: January 08, 2013 - 01:05:47 PM »
Just wondering if any of you have found a new technology GPS tracking device to follow your car in the event of a theft.   

Is there a reasonably good device that doesn't cost a lot to do this effectively.

Would like to hear from any of you that have gone this route. 

thanks .... CHAPS
White 1970 Challenger R/T
440 - 4BBL - Shaker
Daily Driver - 2014 Dodge RAM 1500
Stouffville, Ontario Canada

Offline 73challenger_TN

Re: Latest GPS tracking devices?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013 - 05:47:38 PM »
This is a interesting article that would be fairly cheap. The article is about buying a prepaid phone and installing a app to track it.

http://gizmodo.com/5691724/how-to-track-your-vehicle-on-the-cheap

Offline VTMopar

• '70 Challenger Convertible, '74 Challenger Rallye,
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013 - 11:24:19 AM »
I am going on an extended road trip (hopefully get started next week) and after some research, decided on a unit from this company:  http://www.globaltrackinggroup.com/    The monthly service plans go from $20/ month to about $60/month - depending on your needs/wants.     You can track the location of the unit (your car) through their website (and I intend to give the sign on info to my kids so they can tell where I (or at least the challenger) is over the next few months on my trip.....     it isn't cheap, but it will give me some piece of mind when sleeping in motel rooms.....

Doug
VT Mopar
VT MOPAR

Offline FY1Cuda

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013 - 08:25:48 PM »
About using the burner phone for a GPS tracker: Seems like a really great idea, but I'm a little confused about the service plan you'd have to get for the phone.  I presume it has to be activated first (maybe by keying in about 500 letters and numbers) but don't you need some prepaid something to get the project off the ground?   :clueless: