Author Topic: HELP! what type of A833 is this??  (Read 7829 times)

Offline nr1freak

• Go catch a 'Cuda, If you can...
HELP! what type of A833 is this??
« on: January 08, 2013 - 01:33:17 PM »
hi folks!

i recently bought an A833 for my 70 'cuda but i'm afraid i bought it a little too fast... didn't really check the specs and i'm afraid this one won't fit! i did some research and there are supposed to be 2 types of A833's, the one that fits B and E body (the one i need) with the 2 shiftermounts and the long tail, then there's the short tail that fits B and F-bodies, with only 1 mount.
the one 1 have has the long tail BUT ONLY 1 SHIFTERMOUNT between the gearbox and the mountingplate but no mount near the end!!! i don't get it... it seems like mine is just for B-bodies but i can't find any info on this model! also, it's a 23 spline-type, can this handle my 440?

Cuda's don't leak oil, they mark territory...

Offline HP_Cuda

• Hit the skinny little pedal on the right!
  • Sr. Resident
  • Mopar or No Car!
Re: HELP! what type of A833 is this??
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013 - 07:04:23 PM »
Unfortunately you bought on for a B body only.

The A833 for B & E will have the mount point close to where you see it on yours plus one near the end of the tailshaft.

Put it up on ebay or craigslist and try to get an A833 for B&E although I will warn you there are a ton of folks trying to sell 4 speeds that are complete garbage for 300-400 bucks so have someone check it out before you hand out any cash.

Sadly this is what our 4speed world has come to, moreso I find with Mopar parts.

Yes a 23 spline can handle a 440 up to about 600 hp but again make sure you have a unit that is not an OD unit out of a truck or is complete garbage inside.

B
1970 Cuda Clone 440 4 speed - sublime green
1970 Cuda 383 4 speed - yellow - SOLD

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013 - 07:45:41 PM »
Might be easier to find the correct B/ E body tail housing and the correct shifter rods if you know that is a good unit.
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013 - 02:26:52 AM »
there is an e-body trans for sale on the dutch mopar board  ;)
*** Bart ***

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013 - 07:25:22 AM »
all of the 60s B body trans had only the front mount , in 70 they added the rear mount .
 I actually use a lot fo the 833 OD units , depending on the year they really are not all that weak but do have a wide spread between gears

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline nr1freak

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013 - 07:48:37 AM »
there is an e-body trans for sale on the dutch mopar board  ;)

i know dutch, but the gears on this one are in great shape and i'd like to keep it so i'm just gonna try to find a E-body tail-end... it was actually a pretty good deal cause it came with hurst shifter and bellhousing, just too bad about the mountingplate... or couldn't i make some sort of transferplate for the shifter? so it sits more to the back?

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013 - 02:36:23 PM »
Yes you can make a mount plate , not sure what you will attach it to though

Offline HP_Cuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Mopar or No Car!
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013 - 02:38:30 PM »

Nothing against OD units, just that folks try to sell the OD units as regular units - seen this now 3 times.

Not counting the times they want to sell an 18 spline and I find out it's actually a 23 spline after all.

:bigsmile:

all of the 60s B body trans had only the front mount , in 70 they added the rear mount .
 I actually use a lot fo the 833 OD units , depending on the year they really are not all that weak but do have a wide spread between gears

Offline nr1freak

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013 - 03:29:49 AM »
i don't even know if this is a OD unit or not, how can i tell?

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013 - 06:40:16 AM »
all of the ODs have the rear mount ofr the shifter , put it in third & see if the output shaft turns faster than the input shaft

Offline slsc98

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013 - 06:52:31 AM »
i don't get it... it seems like mine is just for B-bodies but i can't find any info on this model! also, it's a 23 spline-type, can this handle my 440?

'Morning, nr1freak.  D*mn, I am sorry to hear about the minor setback (minor, as compared to buying a trans and finding out it was trash or something); and, even though you're in great hands here as far as knowledge here on the C-C boards, *if* you are looking for some quick access to an additional research source (and/or a totally dependable trans purchase), here is the link to Brewer's Performance. 'Wayne' there, along with the members here, shortened my learning curve by about 5 years and to the tune of $1,300.00! 

Brewer's Performance:  http://www.brewersperformance.com/

History of the A833 Chrysler Four Speed Transmission: http://www.brewersperformance.com/history.htm

"Due to numerous internal variations in the A833 4-speed transmission throughout its 23 years of production, identification of certain components is critical . . ." : http://www.brewersperformance.com/orderinfo.htm

Also, and because I learned the significance of some casting #'s late in the game, there are also good research SOI's here, too: http://mymopar.com/index.php

Mopar Casting Numbers: http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=20

Mopar Transmission Bellhousing Casting Numbers 1960-1981: http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=71

Disegard if you already have all this info (in which case, maybe it'll help someone else, down the line)!

I don't have any 'stake' in Brewer's but, I can tell you it's been awhile since I did business with the kind of pros there. Honest, dependable, totally knowledgeable and ACCESSIBLE! Like a member here (4-speed?) counseled me, "You can try buying a core and going locally to have trans for your E-body built / re-built (good luck, typically the beginning of a tortuou$ journey!) OR; you can go right the source, Brewer's." I took the latter route and no telling how much grief (and cash) I $aved myself.

PS - I have the original 23-spline 833 in my '73 Chally, mated to a non-original 440 but, mine is a hobby car (there, I said it, in public!) and I have no intentions of racing or anything. If I did, I would certainly have snagged one of the 18-spline units Brewer's has ready to ship, no second thoughts about that!

Offline HP_Cuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Mopar or No Car!
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013 - 12:56:09 PM »

Wayne rocks at Brewers.

Some of my best money spent on my Mopar!  :2thumbs: