Author Topic: Quarter Skins  (Read 1003 times)

Offline Dodge Ball

Quarter Skins
« on: January 08, 2013 - 06:49:04 PM »
The 72 challenger I am restoring like most needs new quarter panel sections. Due to the price of full OEM after market quarters, I want to try to get away with skins. The problem is the pictures online and in catalogs are not very clear. Where do the skins start and end? Will they roll under into the wheel well area to make the pinch weld? Do they roll over the top to make up the top part of the quarter level with the trunk lid? How about back to front? Will I be attaching the skin to the factor spot weld locations or will I be butt welding at some point in between. Ideally I would want to see a skin in person but the next best thing would be some pics if anyone has any.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
Re: Quarter Skins
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013 - 07:23:03 PM »
The bottom lip by the pinch weld is there. The top of the skin doesn't wrap around on top by the trunk lid.  I wouldn't use the entire skin.  The side marker light area is usually pretty bad.   I've seen some people cut the quarters off at the center body line...then just use the skins to replace the bottom section.  The upper section is usually good.  You could also cut around the side marker light to retain the original opening if the surrounding area is good enough. 

If you are doing the work yourself then I can see buying the cheaper parts.(your labor is free)  If you are paying someone to install the panels, you'll be farther ahead in the long run with the full quarters.

Offline mopardave

• Sponsor
  • Resident
  • 1973 Challenger F8 in and out, 68 383,727 3.23 pos
    • rosevillemoparts
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013 - 09:19:05 AM »
 :iagree:

Paid Labor vs. Full quarter vs. Skin .  you will be father ahead with a cleaner job with the full quarter with less labor. stich welding the length of the skin is time consuming and labor intensive = more money. but it is your budget.
Mopar Dave
Rosevillemoparts.com

if I haven't replied to your post or PM email me direct    dradcliffe@mikeriehls.com

70 FK5 Challenger RT/SE
70 FC7 70 Road Runner - Sold
71 FM3 Challenger RT
71 Cuda (in process for restoration)
73 F8 Challenger
1990 XJ - sold
2000 Dakota Quad Cab
2010 Ram Crew Cab 2500 4wd - sold
2015 Ram Crew Cab 2500 4wd Black Out

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013 - 01:55:10 PM »
I agree with above posts. The time you'll have in skins would be almost same as replacing full quarters and without 6 foot long weld seam that you have to make sure not to warp when welding, then still doing bodywork .   
Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!