Author Topic: pistol grip shifter automatic  (Read 8165 times)

Offline high perf mopar

pistol grip shifter automatic
« on: February 02, 2013 - 08:56:03 PM »
thought i would share my new auto shifter assembly..seen an old thread about various options to this idea, didn't really like the options,nothing just jumped out at me and said this is it,well heres what i did today..bought a new hurst replacement mopar pistol grip shifter,,summit,, for the 70-74 e-bodys and grafted it onto the duncan eng lower assembly,and then applied the assembly to the original slap stick shifter mech so that it would still rachet the stock way,1 gear at a time and stop,,not jumping forward and direct to nuetral or reverse:(..the push button has been replaced by downward pressure of the arm,,u have to want to push it down,,does not drop by itself,was pretty straight forward operation,,the only really critacal part was lining up the arm with the slide making sure it was straight and angled correctly before welding the 2 together..the whole thing took about 6 hours to do..

i was thinking the only thing missing from my car was the pistol grip but did not want to convert to a 4 speed..IT FEELS GOOD!!!it came out really well..nothing like that pistol grip in the hand..and no clutch to burn...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013 - 09:12:41 PM by high perf mopar »
1971 barracuda
440-6 shaker
chrysler 3x2 competiton carbs mech,what chrysler should have done.
b-5 blue
"you got yourself some motor there boy!" 1973,,white lightning.MGM studios burt reynolds

Offline mildphil

• Jack of all trades
Re: pistol grip shifter automatic
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013 - 09:37:40 PM »
Thats really cool, good idea :bigshades:
Nothing last forever, so be thankful for what you have while you still have it. :)

Offline MTS-Challenger

• Vanishing Point - "Catch Me If You Can"
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013 - 01:00:40 AM »
Awesome...

Looks great

I bought a gunslingler shifter handle and converting the shifter linkage system into to a cable driven for quicker and positive shifting for racing.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2013 - 04:33:03 PM by mttchall »
1970 Challenger R/T 440

Offline moparman82

• MOPAR or No car
  • Resident
  • Livin' the dream
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013 - 01:08:34 AM »
I think i woulda ground a notch in the shift arm before i cut out a slot in the console for it  :dunno:  cant argue with the way the thing looks tho, sweet!
Scott in Omaha
Searching for the right 70 Cuda driver
1973 challenger in go-mango, on it's way to a 70 T/A clone SOLD
2015 crew cab Hemi ram SOLD
2019 Ram Laramie
2016 Tahoe LTZ SOLD
1976 Ramcharger 383 4spd SOLD
2016 Audi

24 mopars past and 2 present

Offline high perf mopar

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013 - 11:02:24 AM »
I think i woulda ground a notch in the shift arm before i cut out a slot in the console for it  :dunno:  cant argue with the way the thing looks tho, sweet!

i thought about a notch but is was going to be too big,appx a 1/2",the arm is massive compared to the stock t handle.the only right way to have clearanced the arm was to put it into a milling machine and taper it all the way down but i think it would have ruined the look,and i dont have one,so it was the notch,,.in first gear it completely fills the notch..next week i'll pick up some stick-on chrome trim stickers and trim out the top plate edges. :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013 - 11:09:09 AM by high perf mopar »
1971 barracuda
440-6 shaker
b-5 blue
"you got yourself some motor there boy!" 1973,,white lightning.MGM studios burt reynolds

Offline moparman82

• MOPAR or No car
  • Resident
  • Livin' the dream
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013 - 12:01:06 PM »
Nice!  Seeing as how I've never done it before, I wouldn't have known that, good work my friend!   :clapping:
Scott in Omaha
Searching for the right 70 Cuda driver
1973 challenger in go-mango, on it's way to a 70 T/A clone SOLD
2015 crew cab Hemi ram SOLD
2019 Ram Laramie
2016 Tahoe LTZ SOLD
1976 Ramcharger 383 4spd SOLD
2016 Audi

24 mopars past and 2 present

Offline shoooter

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013 - 12:08:24 PM »
 Cool! Was that a kit or something you just dreamed up? Good way to go if you don't want to convert to a standard

Offline Giveitawack

• ebay
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013 - 01:35:32 PM »
Looks really cool
There is also an auto shift pattern medallion to put on top
That leads to my question
I got my pistol grip stick today. I'd like to remove the manual pattern without damaging the plastic or the chrome. It's double sticking tape, right? Heat? Some kind of solvent? What's best to use?

Offline high perf mopar

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013 - 02:05:27 PM »
Cool! Was that a kit or something you just dreamed up? Good way to go if you don't want to convert to a standard

no kit,,was fooling around with the direct bolt on pistol grips and viewing the old thread here on them and decided to get creative with the hurst correct arm from summit..
1971 barracuda
440-6 shaker
b-5 blue

Offline high perf mopar

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013 - 02:08:39 PM »
Looks really cool
There is also an auto shift pattern medallion to put on top
That leads to my question
I got my pistol grip stick today. I'd like to remove the manual pattern without damaging the plastic or the chrome. It's double sticking tape, right? Heat? Some kind of solvent? What's best to use?

yeah i will probably get one,,pistol grip stick??r u doing something similar to mine?or direct bolt on?its probably glued on,,maybe slicing it down the middle and lifting it out from there??
1971 barracuda
440-6 shaker
b-5 blue

Offline Giveitawack

• ebay
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013 - 10:50:10 AM »
Well, it will not go on my Barracuda 70, for now at least. I have another car I'm working on.
Looks really cool in your pictures, though.

Offline high perf mopar

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013 - 02:04:32 PM »
Well, it will not go on my Barracuda 70, for now at least. I have another car I'm working on.
Looks really cool in your pictures, though.

thanks,,it turned out well and functions just like the original t-handle..as close to a 4 speed handle that u will get,,because it is the 4 speed handle!!!the trick was the angle of the pistol grip,,had to break the weld a couple of times to get it right..end result is in the pics..
1971 barracuda
440-6 shaker
b-5 blue

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013 - 02:54:04 PM »
That's really awesome.   :clapping:

Now if one can manufacture something like this for a bolt-on operation for those who are lacking welding skilz, gunslinger and the Harms one, Shift-R-Arm, and the other trigger one just will be obsolete.

'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline high perf mopar

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013 - 09:45:13 PM »
That's really awesome.   :clapping:

Now if one can manufacture something like this for a bolt-on operation for those who are lacking welding skilz, gunslinger and the Harms one, Shift-R-Arm, and the other trigger one just will be obsolete.

thanks,looks like they already r!  :thumbsup: ,we just fired up the car 4 the 1st time today with the new cam,,wife was the key man,,and she had no problem working the arm.ratchets just like stock from 1st,2nd,drive,,u cannot go into reverse unless u want too,,..simply push down to change from park/reverse/nuetral..after starting had to get it in nuetral to lubrecate the dynamic 3800 stall converter..freakin love it!!!looks good too.

all one needs is, stock slapstick shifter assembly,shift-r-arm bottom assembly ONLY,summit/hurst pistol grip arm assembly..after engineering it for mine,,would take no more than 2 hours to produce another one.. :thumbsup:    parts and labor???
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013 - 10:41:10 PM by high perf mopar »
1971 barracuda
440-6 shaker
b-5 blue

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013 - 12:33:36 AM »
thanks,looks like they already r!  :thumbsup: ,we just fired up the car 4 the 1st time today with the new cam,,wife was the key man,,and she had no problem working the arm.ratchets just like stock from 1st,2nd,drive,,u cannot go into reverse unless u want too,,..simply push down to change from park/reverse/nuetral..after starting had to get it in nuetral to lubrecate the dynamic 3800 stall converter..freakin love it!!!looks good too.

all one needs is, stock slapstick shifter assembly,shift-r-arm bottom assembly ONLY,summit/hurst pistol grip arm assembly..after engineering it for mine,,would take no more than 2 hours to produce another one.. :thumbsup:    parts and labor???

Do it!  Get some investment money and you'll sell at least 1000-2000 units!   :ylsuper:
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO