Author Topic: pistol grip shifter automatic  (Read 8162 times)

Offline Giveitawack

• ebay
Re: pistol grip shifter automatic
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2013 - 04:06:56 AM »
Looks really cool
There is also an auto shift pattern medallion to put on top
That leads to my question
I got my pistol grip stick today. I'd like to remove the manual pattern without damaging the plastic or the chrome. It's double sticking tape, right? Heat? Some kind of solvent? What's best to use?
Tried with solvent and the heat gun but ended up trashing the print. It's held with two dots of heat glue I think. Front and rear of the plastic.

Offline high perf mopar

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2013 - 12:25:01 PM »
Do it!  Get some investment money and you'll sell at least 1000-2000 units!   :ylsuper:

it takes money to make money!!lol,,using the hurst script arm in a business venture without written autherized permission(royalties)could turn into a copyright problem...
1971 barracuda
440-6 shaker
chrysler 3x2 competiton carbs mech,what chrysler should have done.
b-5 blue
"you got yourself some motor there boy!" 1973,,white lightning.MGM studios burt reynolds

Offline high perf mopar

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2013 - 12:29:57 PM »
Tried with solvent and the heat gun but ended up trashing the print. It's held with two dots of heat glue I think. Front and rear of the plastic.

this one looks like it is well attached also..maybe try gluing the auto pattern on top of the 4 speed pattern??maybe i'll just leave mine alone for now..
1971 barracuda
440-6 shaker
b-5 blue
"you got yourself some motor there boy!" 1973,,white lightning.MGM studios burt reynolds

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2013 - 12:39:00 PM »
it takes money to make money!!lol,,using the hurst script arm in a business venture without written autherized permission(royalties)could turn into a copyright problem...

Or make your design so that it uses a stock item such as the hurst shifter?
I've seen people use the rubber boot for a 4 speed to go over a gunslinger or autogrip? and not use the chrome indicator bracket?
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline high perf mopar

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2013 - 12:55:17 PM »
I've seen people use the rubber boot for a 4 speed to go over a gunslinger or autogrip? and not use the chrome indicator bracket?

yeah, i seen the old thread here concerning pistol grip handles,,and i seen the pics of the 4 speed boot on one of the auto installations..that thread gave me the inspiration to fab this set up..so far at this point i like the chrome auto selector,it still reads dead balls on as far as what gear your in.which is nice when moving any auto shifter handle..im not trying to fully replicate the 4 speed setup,,just wanted something better than the t-handle.and just bolting on a pistol grip handle left alot to be desired,both in looks and function..it feels and ratchets just like the hurst pistol grip quarter stick i had in my last car(67 hemi belvedere pro street).
1971 barracuda
440-6 shaker
b-5 blue

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2013 - 02:23:59 PM »

Ya, that's what I was thinking.  Just make the bracketry so you can bolt on your own pistol grip handle.
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline high perf mopar

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2013 - 08:24:49 PM »
Ya, that's what I was thinking.  Just make the bracketry so you can bolt on your own pistol grip handle.

oh,i think i see what u guys r saying..fab the lower part so the hurst handle can bolt on??a u shaped reciever at the ratchet..that would work,unlike the way it is now welded.no permission needed from anyone..there u go!!
1971 barracuda
440-6 shaker
b-5 blue

Offline Giveitawack

• ebay
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2013 - 02:20:42 PM »
FYI this is what it looks like with the top off. There were dabs of glue in the front and rear.

Offline Close2theedge72

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2013 - 10:11:11 AM »
That looks SWEET!! I had been looking for a Pistol Grip shifter for my Slap-Stick automatic, but the only one I found offered stuck straight out of the console without the forward tilt. It looked butt ugly! (and over priced)
   Did I read correctly that in order to get to reverse and park, you push down on the shifter? I was curious how you over came the lock out feature. The shifter I've seen offered has a small unlock trigger on it.

http://www.gunslingershifters.com/71-74gunslingershifters.htm 

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2013 - 12:57:37 PM »
That looks SWEET!! I had been looking for a Pistol Grip shifter for my Slap-Stick automatic, but the only one I found offered stuck straight out of the console without the forward tilt. It looked butt ugly! (and over priced)
   Did I read correctly that in order to get to reverse and park, you push down on the shifter? I was curious how you over came the lock out feature. The shifter I've seen offered has a small unlock trigger on it.

All of them that you can buy outright have a trigger on it except the RestoRick/Domingo/Harms one here you push down the whole thing to get out of D or N.
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline high perf mopar

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2013 - 05:23:46 PM »

as ragtop said,,u push down on handle to move it,,the downward motion pushes the ratchet claw down and out of the way to move the arm,same as it would by pushing the T-handle button in.except when up shifting from 1st-2nd-drive u move the handle forward against the stop as u would with the stock slap stick,when pressure is removed the ratchet moves and your ready 4 the next gear.. .when disassembling the stock slap stick u remove the cup that sits at the bottom that the pushbutton activates..once u open it up its pretty basic and u will see what im talking about,,but u will need the shift-r-arm bottom mech or something similar to work.. 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013 - 05:35:53 PM by high perf mopar »
1971 barracuda
440-6 shaker
b-5 blue